• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New T20 Format

Chocolardo

Banned
What are people's thoughts on the new t20 league? 8 teams based on cities.

I would assume our nearest one will probably play at Stratford (if allowed) I think it's a good idea although worried about the negative effect it will have on the county t20 league however the money they are talking about that they will give to all counties will be nice though.

What are people's thoughts on the new t20 league? 8 teams based on cities.

I would assume our nearest one will probably play at Stratford (if allowed) I think it's a good idea although worried about the negative effect it will have on the county t20 league however the money they are talking about that they will give to all counties will be nice though.

Heard this from guys at Essex some time ago, Essex and Middlesex merged at Stratford and Surrey and Kent Merged at the Oval for the two London teams.

I really hope they aren't merging teams. This should be run as proper franchises like the IPL model.

Our competition is light years behind the IPL and the Big Bash so something needs to improve. My understanding is that this will run along side the existing 20 twenty county game which will obviously mean more matches. Not sure that is a good idea as one competition will out do the other and crowds will trail off with the lesser one. Have one or the other, not both. I favour the new proposal for what it's worth.

Love going to T20, county v county

Middlesex at Lords the other month was brilliant, great crowd banter, and great cricket, lets not lose this to new format.

No problems with new format if it encourage players ,who can benefit England and not become like the premiership and pay massive salaries to over seas player
Maybe like IPL, you have to have a certain number of local players in the team and fewer oversea stars
Until the new format is announced its very much on the back burner for me

I really hope they aren't merging teams. This should be run as proper franchises like the IPL model.

Although that is what I was told a couple of months ago reading the proposals on cricinfo suggests that they will be stand alone city teams. So 2 for London. Not sure whether particular counties will promote particular teams?

Option 4 is what the counties voted for but it seems to have just as much in the against column as it does in the for column.

Option 4 An eight-team city-based competition played in a July window plus a continuation of the existing 18-team competition played a little earlier in the season. For

• The ECB executive (and their 'independent' broadcast analysts) suggest the city-based competition could bring in up to £40m in new revenue, although it is disputed whether all this money will be new or partially replacement
  • All counties would still be able to host T20 cricket.
  • All counties would benefit from increased revenues (at least in the short term).
  • Window renders it easier to sign overseas players for duration of tournament.
  • Enables the continuation of the popular Friday night (with slight geographic variances) cricket
  • Might enable small counties to retain their best players as new competition would provide incentive to earn place in eight-team tournament.
  • Matches broadcast every night of the week help build narrative and public interest.
  • Condenses the best players into a small league.
  • Rebranding may help improve image of English T20.
Against

• Threatens to compromise standard of domestic cricket - and in turn the production line for the England teams - by either withdrawing around 80-100 players from Championship cricket for a month or demanding a window when no other cricket is played during July.
  • Playing in a window leaves the competition at the mercy of the weather and demands a great deal of at-ground spectators.
  • England players hardly available until 2020 at earliest. If they are to be made available, England's international commitments will have to be cut meaning a reduction in broadcast revenue from that source.
  • Threatens to marginalise the smaller counties and reduce the status and value of the existing competition to "the LDV Vans tournament" of English cricket.
  • ECB calculations show that around 25% of the population live around the eight grounds that would be utilised. The comparison figure in Australia is 65%. Top-quality T20 cricket therefore less available to vast number of people.
  • Might limit opportunities for young or largely unknown players and threatens to render many players less relevant and possibly unemployed.
  • Threatens to cut the number of counties by stealth.
  • Specifically conflicts with ECB constitution that states that all 18 teams must be involved in all competitions.
  • Likely to prove unpopular with current county members.
  • Little evidence to suggest that spectators in England and Wales warm to newly branded teams and city-branding likely to prove unpopular with football supporters (Aston Villa supporters may well baulk at idea of following Birmingham, for example).

Back