• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ian_the_girth

President
What to do ??

I currently own a Thorn 14" portable TV,
about 3 months ago it stopped showing in colour. it doesnt matter if you watch a video or dvd, or even teletext. all have no colour. i tried everything to fix it, hitting, slapping, dropping & yeh even cleaning it !!

So now i have a 15 year old TV showing in black & white, great eh.
even the remote for the TV is ****, buttons 1,3,4 & 5 dont work, oh neither does the off button. im reluctant to buy a new TV due to the fact it still works & my VCR player, freeview box & DVD player still work fine too.

should i give in a buy a new small ish TV, but then if i do that i might as well buy a LCD style one. But then if i do that i might as well get a digital one, & then i might as well get one with a buitl in DVD player too. & before you know it i can easily spend £350 + & what do i do with the DVD & freeview box, i mean they still work, why replace them !

two months ago i even went & bought steptoe & son series one on dvd, knowing it was going to be shown in black & white so i didnt miss out on anything. how sad is that !!

Money isnt the issue, id be happy to go buy another old skool TV from asda / tesco... but cant get over the thought of people thinking im a pikey for buying one. i was acutally in tesco yesterday afternoon inthe checkout about to buy a new LCD TV with DVD & built in freeview, but i thought no **** it, i dont need it. ive got a perfectly good tv, albeit small, black & white at home.

arghhh, am i sad, getting old, tight, stubborn, or just going mad ?!

advice welcomed...

thanks, ian "the girth"

Last edited:
just buy a smallish flat screen from tesco for like £100 quid and the only reason ur remote dosent work is because u got to much man juice on it

What to do ??

about 3 months ago it stopped showing in colour. it doesnt matter if you watch a video or dvd, or even teletext. all have no colour. i tried everything to fix it, hitting, slapping, dropping & yeh even cleaning it !!

even the remote for the TV is ****, buttons 1,3,4 & 5 dont work, oh neither does the off button. im reluctant to buy a new TV due to the fact it still works & my VCR player, freeview box & DVD player still work fine too.

should i give in a buy a new small ish TV, but then if i do that i might as well buy a LCD style one. But then if i do that i might as well get a digital one, & then i might as well get one with a buitl in DVD player too. & before you know it i can easily spend £350 + & what do i do with the DVD & freeview box, i mean they still work, why replace them !

two months ago i even went & bought steptoe & son series one on dvd, knowing it was going to be shown in black & white so i didnt miss out on anything. how sad is that !!

Money isnt the issue, id be happy to go buy another old skool TV from asda / tesco... but cant get over the thought of people thinking im a pikey for buying one. i was acutally in tesco yesterday afternoon inthe checkout about to buy a new LCD TV with DVD & built in freeview, but i thought no **** it, i dont need it. ive got a perfectly good tv, albeit small, black & white at home.

advice welcomed...

thanks, ian "the girth"

Why don't you look on freecycle mate??

http://www.freecycle.org/

I have a spare TV that I dont need. Not sure how good it is, its been under the stairs for around 5 years. If interested give us a pm

What to do ??

advice welcomed...

thanks, ian "the girth"

im still watching tv in black & white, this is **** :madman:
i found a tv on the street last night, would have taken it, but no plug on the wire :(

should i splash the cash & buy a new tv ??

would recommend freecycle, loads of cheap tellys going for free as everyone is upgrading to digital/plasmas

Remember that analogue telly is being turned off soon. Might be wise to invest in a digital TV.

buy a new one. I got a 32" flat screen at christmas for £330 with freeview built in, and you can pay a lot less for a smaller one. Only thing with some flatscreens is that some of them you have to look straight on at the screen rather than at an angle. I initially bought an LG, put it up on the wall and then sitting in bed, couldnt see anything as it went into negative view. So I took it back and got a Toshiba. (Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony are the better makes)

Oh and I was recommended not to buy a built in dvd player, as if anything goes wrong with it you would have to send the whole lot off for repairs and will be back to square 1.

buy a new one. I got a 32" flat screen at christmas for £330 with freeview built in, and you can pay a lot less for a smaller one. Only thing with some flatscreens is that some of them you have to look straight on at the screen rather than at an angle. I initially bought an LG, put it up on the wall and then sitting in bed, couldnt see anything as it went into negative view. So I took it back and got a Toshiba. (Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony are the better makes)

Oh and I was recommended not to buy a built in dvd player, as if anything goes wrong with it you would have to send the whole lot off for repairs and will be back to square 1.

WOAHH hold up LG not a good make!

You just confirmed it WOMEN KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS!!!!!

I know plenty thanks and the tv was rubbish. LG has a bad rep if you look up reviews on the net, they are cheap for a reason and I still stand by my not liking LG.

Actually I have to agree with Sarah. (and no not just because she is a fellow female!) - everything I have experienced to do with LG has been rubbish

My brother had an LG touch screen phone and he wanted to bin it after about 4 days. Plus I had many friends that had the LG chocolate phone which was also rubbish, so delicate that it never worked and didnt last 5 mins. I also know plenty of people that have had a bad experience with LG TV's.

Scott you don't have to be so sexist. If any male on this board had said that LG are a rubbish brand then you wouldnt have said "men know nothing about electronics!".

Back