• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
I have the idea of writing and releasing a weekly UNOFFICIAL fanzine. Whether i will need the club's permission or not is another question...

To be sold/given away outside the ground at all home & away games...

If i was to sell them, would be a measly 20p...

UTB!!

Not wanting to **** on your chips. But All at Sea really has the fanzine sector covered. Good luck though.

I have the idea of writing and releasing a weekly UNOFFICIAL fanzine. Whether i will need the club's permission or not is another question...

UTB!!

Do you understand the cost that would go into just producing this?

Have you not heard of inflation ? .... It must have been 20 years ago when the shouts outside Roots Hall on a Friday evening was .... "ROOTS HALL ROARRRRR , ONLY 50 P !!!! " ...... but good luck , hope you make a success of it :thumbsup:

Are you actually going to go through with one of these ideas? Because this is the 3rd one now and all you have done is suggest it then go quiet and not do anything.

Are you actually going to go through with one of these ideas? Because this is the 3rd one now and all you have done is suggest it then go quiet and not do anything.

If you change the 3 to 300 , you could be addressing the question to Ron !

Knock yourself out. It's nothing to do with the club. But you're up against some really strong competition in All At Sea. They don't just get any fool writing for them you know.

Ahem.

Knock yourself out. It's nothing to do with the club. But you're up against some really strong competition in All At Sea. They don't just get any fool writing for them you know.

Ahem.

Who would buy it though?...thats my main concern..and it is to do with the club isn't it?

Maybe I didn't go through with the other two because they were rejected by the club?

To be a little constructive, what are you trying to achieve here? Seems you've had quite a few ideas lately: season reviews (for any number of clubs if I recall, not just Southend), sticker albums, club crest drawings, new fanzine, etc but none of them have really got off the ground. So is it just something you're passionate about, or are you looking for an outlet to express yourself creatively, or is it even about trying to raise a bit of cash (obviously you'd need a lot of 20p's)?

Given that we're actually quite a small market and there's already a fanzine in production, the idea of working with the existing one might not be a bad shout?

Who would buy it though?...thats my main concern..and it is to do with the club isn't it?

If you want to start writing a fanzine about Southend United you don't need to seek the club's permission.

I'm not sure many people would buy it to be honest, given how AAS has the market pretty much covered. But if you're interested in football writing, get in touch with Jai on here; new contributors are always welcome.

To be a little constructive, what are you trying to achieve here? Seems you've had quite a few ideas lately: season reviews (for any number of clubs if I recall, not just Southend), sticker albums, club crest drawings, new fanzine, etc but none of them have really got off the ground. So is it just something you're passionate about, or are you looking for an outlet to express yourself creatively, or is it even about trying to raise a bit of cash (obviously you'd need a lot of 20p's)?

Given that we're actually quite a small market and there's already a fanzine in production, the idea of working with the existing one might not be a bad shout?

This is very true, the season reviews were actually rejected by a number of clubs, Notts County was the only club to take an interest but never got back to me on the use of photographs...the sticker book was just a idea, that was never going to go anywhere as i had no way of actually making stickers! The club crest drawings are just something i do in my spare time and wanted to share with everyone (not showing off!) and the idea of a new fanzine is something i would like to do. I have an A-Level in media and would like to share my work with people who share the same interest as me! I know it would take a lot of work but i'm prepared for that!

On the subject of working with the current fanzine, i'm not sure who to talk to about it, but i feel a new one might inject a (small) new lease of life into the club!

You are obviously passionate about the club. You are apparantly quite creative with your brainstorming of new ideas , but maybe need a little guidance for your creations. If i were you i would go to the club directly + ask to see someone senior about your ideas. ( Perhaps not Ron ! )

Several years ago when i was in between jobs i had a few ideas on how the club could be run better commercially + went to see John Main ( who was acting Chairman at the time) We had a really constructive meeting + he loved my ideas and actually offered me a job in the clubs commercial department on the spot! As it happens i didnt take it as i took a job elsewhere, but if you dont try you dont get! A bonus from this chat with Mr Main was i was able to arrange Alan Little's full 1st team play in a friendly against our supporters club .
Be warned though -- if you work for the club you may not actually get paid !!! :unsure:

Good Luck !

UTB!!

If you are interested in running a website instead read my footnote and drop me a PM. Cheers

As others have mentioned on this thread, I am one of the co-editors of All At Sea and we are always looking for contributors (and at the moment are on the lookout for a co-editor mainly to improve our website, so if you have expertise in that side of things I'd be interested to hear from you), so please feel free to send any articles, cartoons, or whatever in to us.

If you did want to run with the idea of producing your own, you wouldn't need permission from the club. The only legal obligation is you must send one copy of every issue to the British Library. We are not particularly popular with the club (relations soured somewhat when we started to ask awkward questions about the club's finances in about 2009) but we don't sell on the football club's property and our co-editors (well, two of us) are trained in media law so know better than to print anything that might give them an excuse to come after us.

If you do want any advice about starting up, I'd be happy to help. At one time this club used to have about six 'zines (although that was before the internet message board boom that has killed off an awful lot of club fanzines) so I am sure there would be room for both and you'd certainly get no animosity from us, we have been going 10 years and have an established readership. It is great fun to do, and I remember we pretty much knocked out Pier Pressure in our sixth form common room so it can be done (it was rubbish but we were quite young at the time!)

As for selling them for 20p, I think you would struggle with that, you would need a very cheap printer to work with.

May as well take this opportunity for a plug, dear readers. Issue 45 is out Friday night and has interviews with Leo Roget and Chris Phillips, plus loads and loads of other stuff, priced at £1.

You are obviously passionate about the club. You are apparantly quite creative with your brainstorming of new ideas , but maybe need a little guidance for your creations. If i were you i would go to the club directly + ask to see someone senior about your ideas. ( Perhaps not Ron ! )

Several years ago when i was in between jobs i had a few ideas on how the club could be run better commercially + went to see John Main ( who was acting Chairman at the time) We had a really constructive meeting + he loved my ideas and actually offered me a job in the clubs commercial department on the spot! As it happens i didnt take it as i took a job elsewhere, but if you dont try you dont get! A bonus from this chat with Mr Main was i was able to arrange Alan Little's full 1st team play in a friendly against our supporters club .
Be warned though -- if you work for the club you may not actually get paid !!! :unsure:

Good Luck !

I am indeed, as is everyone else on here, its just for a bit of fun and to get my views on the Blues spread around the club! Its not about the money, its about getting fans views spread around, yes. i am aware that this is the point where people jump in and say: "BUT THATS WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR!!"

But what about those fans who aren't on SZ? Take them into account as well as us all on here.

Many thanks to you all for all your contructive advice, i will take it into accout when writing the first issue.

Obviously, please feel free to carry on discussing this on the thread! I enjoy these convos with everyone and in no way am i trying to end the thread by thanking you all!

UTB!!

Back