• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New York

All,

I'm off to New York next week (work related) and wondered if anyone has any recommendations of things to see and do. I plan on doing the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Top of the Rock but thought i'd see what others have done before.

Thanks

I'd recommend the helicopter trip over the city, I think it's in the region of $100/125. Having said that I will never get into a helicopter again.

It's important to just be a part of it. Stray through the very heart of it. While you're there, see if you can make a brand new start of it.

Katz Deli if you like your sandwiches stuffed with more meat then you've ever seen before.

Go out for breakfast every day. Great Value. Try the Heli tour at night.
Get a travel ticket for about 7 dollars and you can ride the buses and the subway all day.
For a nice little sight seeing trip, we got a bus across the Brooklyn Bridge , through Brooklyn and then across to Statten Island, then got the Ferry (its Free) Back to Manhatten passing the Statue. Need about 2 or 3 hours for that

Try and take in a Knicks game.

What he said. Even though they're shocking this year, a game at the Garden is a great sporting experience.

Ellis Island is well worth a visit; you can do that and Liberty Island in the same trip.

I did the helicopter tour (birthday gift from the housemate) and that was a wonderful experience.

I refused to do the helicopter trip as our plane from Heathrow lost an engine in the first attempt to get to New Jersey and we had to return to LHR. As helicopters only have one engine I didn't want to tempt fate. I went instead in the heli simulator on the top floor of the World Trade Centre.

For a nice little sight seeing trip, we got a bus across the Brooklyn Bridge...

A walk across the Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan is pretty special, particularly at night. A trip to the Harlem Apollo is a treat when they do the tours - there's a great bar nearby with 'The Zebra Lounge' out the back. The Boardwalk at Coney Island is an interesting experience too, but best do that one in the daytime. Don't know if you're a Sopranos fan, but they used to do tours out to NJ taking in all the sights - Bada Bing, Satriale's, Tony's Church etc.

I refused to do the helicopter trip as our plane from Heathrow lost an engine in the first attempt to get to New Jersey and we had to return to LHR. As helicopters only have one engine I didn't want to tempt fate. I went instead in the heli simulator on the top floor of the World Trade Centre.

Aircraft with one engine very rarely suffer from engine failure for the simple reason that they're the only engine. The manufacturers therefore put in an engine that can more than cope with the stresses it's put under. For example, the Lycoming engines in small Cessnas is like putting a truck engine in a mini.

A walk across the Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan is pretty special, particularly at night. A trip to the Harlem Apollo is a treat when they do the tours - there's a great bar nearby with 'The Zebra Lounge' out the back. The Boardwalk at Coney Island is an interesting experience too, but best do that one in the daytime. Don't know if you're a Sopranos fan, but they used to do tours out to NJ taking in all the sights - Bada Bing, Satriale's, Tony's Church etc.

Is CBGB's still there?

Back