• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New York

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Ladies and Gentleman of the zone I require your help, advice and experience.

It's my wife's 30th birthday in march and I've paid for us to go to New York and got tickets for her to see Lionel Richie with Mariah Carey live at Madison Square Garden.

I'm going from the 31st of March and leaving late on the 4th April.

What I need is advice from people who live, work or have been to New York on the best things to do out there. Things you must do, places you must see and great places to eat. I want to plan it so well that we aren't walking round wondering where to go and wasting time. So looking for as many ideas as possible to plan the perfect trip for her.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Plenty of the usual tourist places - though if you want to go to Ellis Island & up the Statue of Liberty you'll have to get there early doors as they only allow a cetain number of people per day. I didn't get outside of Manhattan really, which is a shame as I fancied Coney Island & parts of Brooklyn, but NY is huge!

Just walking around Manhattan and Central Park you'll see absolutely loads of places you'll recognise from films & telly. It's quite remarkable.

The Empire State Building is worth the hassle of queuing. If it is cold wrap up warm, cos the breeze up top will chill you to the bone. Try and avoid Macey's and Bloomingdales (both just posh John Lewis's), but if it's the wife's birthday I guess you've already lost that one :'(

Ladies and Gentleman of the zone I require your help, advice and experience.

It's my wife's 30th birthday in march and I've paid for us to go to New York and got tickets for her to see Lionel Richie with Mariah Carey live at Madison Square Gardens.

I'm going from the 31st of March and leaving late on the 4th April.

What I need is advice from people who live, work or have been to New York on the best things to do out there. Things you must do, places you must see and great places to eat. I want to plan it so well that we aren't walking round wondering where to go and wasting time. So looking for as many ideas as possible to plan the perfect trip for her.

Thanks in advance.

Whilst it's a chain and there are probably better independent places I must say that I enjoyed an evening out at one of the Smith & Wollensky steakhouses. Buzzing atmosphere, great service and decent food.
http://www.smithandwollensky.com

Oh and it's Madison Square Garden, singular. Or just "the garden" to New Yorkers.

Have a great trip, both of you.

Don't go up the Empire State Building - if you're up it then it won't be in your pictures. Go up the Rockerfeller Building instead, much shorter queues, you'll get the Empire State in your pictures and it has great views of Central Park too.

Ground Zero is a must and we took a water taxi trip around Manhatten Island which also took us very close to the Statue of Liberty as well.

Drastic™;1927902 said:
Don't go up the Empire State Building - if you're up it then it won't be in your pictures. Go up the Rockerfeller Building instead, much shorter queues, you'll get the Empire State in your pictures and it has great views of Central Park too.

Ground Zero is a must and we took a water taxi trip around Manhatten Island which also took us very close to the Statue of Liberty as well.
Disagree. Empire State Building us iconic and a must, the exhubition whilst queueing is really interesting..

try and plan so you do paid for stuff off peak so queues are shorter. Recommend obvious- Empire State, ground zero.statue of liberty (at night is romantic as you are with your wife). Times Square at night. Also recommend a walk across Brooklyn bridge and the high wire (google it). Get the nyc tourist app (brilliant thing) and take a look at stuff and book stuff before you go, cheaper and saves some queuing'. My mate did freedom tower and said it was good. The ground zero exhibition is excellent (if you like that sort of thing). We ran out of time but the separate exhibition at the site of the closest fire house is meant to be very good. They also now have "borris bikes" and riding round the island looks fu. (Wife wouldn't do it). Running round Central Park was a bucket list thing for me. China town is disappointing but maybe that's me
ps weather in March could be anything . One year the first thing we bought was gloves hats and thermals. As others have mentioned it can cold at ground level and kin cold at top of Empire State. Have fun,

ps, as another poster has said, the big stores are imo a massive let down, also subway is fun and looks the same as it did in " the Warriors " from around 1980 ish

And the food portion sizes are enormous. Me & the missus went to a Chinese, ordered about 4 different things as you would over here and it was enough food for a week. :stunned:

Thanks guys you've been really helpful. I've been watching some videos on Facebook of crazy food places to go to in New York too.

Any recommendations on pizza places as she loves Pizza. I wanted to do Statue of Liberty, thinking about Madam Tussauds as well (the wife has never ever been and always wanted too). Is there any markets that are recommended as some of the market stall food is meant to be stunning.

Another idea is to do a helicopter flight round a few of the sights.

The ground zero sight really appeals to me and something I would really like to see but not sure it's her cup of tea.

Just want to fill the time well with enough to do so we aren't walking round like idiots not knowing what to do or where to go.

Go to Harlem on the Sunday morning. Go to one of the big churches, you will be more than welcome. I'm not religious in any way but an 80 person gospel quire is really entertaining even the 3 year old with us loved it. They are not offended if you join in its meant to be uplifting. I almost had a 'Blues Brothers' moment.

Harlem is a great place to look round. If the weather is ok walk back through Central Park, watch the New Yorkers at play. After all its the people who make a City or the Country.

Everyone I know who has been recommends taking in a show in the evening, there's plenty of choice. Whatever you do, have a great time, it's still on my list of things to do.

Any recommendations on pizza places as she loves Pizza. Is there any markets that are recommended as some of the market stall food is meant to be stunning.

/QUOTE]

My eldest son has lived in Upper Manhattan for the last 8 years, i'll ask him for you, and any other tips he may have.

I have spent the last seven years working for US banks with HQs in New York and they have been too tight to fly me out there so I can't help.

My colleagues rate Shake Shack if that's any help.

Drastic™;1927902 said:

Disagree. Empire State Building us iconic and a must, the exhubition whilst queueing is really interesting..

try and plan so you do paid for stuff off peak so queues are shorter. Recommend obvious- Empire State, ground zero.statue of liberty (at night is romantic as you are with your wife). Times Square at night. Also recommend a walk across Brooklyn bridge and the high wire (google it). Get the nyc tourist app (brilliant thing) and take a look at stuff and book stuff before you go, cheaper and saves some queuing'. My mate did freedom tower and said it was good. The ground zero exhibition is excellent (if you like that sort of thing). We ran out of time but the separate exhibition at the site of the closest fire house is meant to be very good. They also now have "borris bikes" and riding round the island looks fu. (Wife wouldn't do it). Running round Central Park was a bucket list thing for me. China town is disappointing but maybe that's me
ps weather in March could be anything . One year the first thing we bought was gloves hats and thermals. As others have mentioned it can cold at ground level and kin cold at top of Empire State. Have fun,

ps, as another poster has said, the big stores are imo a massive let down, also subway is fun and looks the same as it did in " the Warriors " from around 1980 ish

Both great posts even if they contradict. If you have enough time, get up Rockefeller AND the Empire State Building. I preferred Rockefeller for the reasons Drastic said.

A boat cruise on the Hudson will also give you a great chance to see (and learn about) a lot of the city.

Otherwise, don't over plan it. Some of my best memories of NYC come from finding random bars, restaurants, jazz bars, etc. I'd pick the areas you want to visit/tick off and play the rest of it by feel.

Do both the Rockafella and Empire State and Pre book the tickets like we did as then no queuing.
We spent a whole day just going round central park and hired bikes which was fab.
If you get time try the highnline it is the old docks railway and runs parallel to the Hudson River and is a fabulous walk (weather permitting).
We queued for about 20 mins in Times Square and managed to get tickets for Jersey Boys on Broadway at a half the price (I think it was 62) and the seats were fab. For the matinee shows tickets go on sale from 10.00 and for evening performance from 3.00pm they have the queuing for them down to a fine art.
We also took in a baseball game and used the subway which is fine to do and we felt very safe out there.
Enjoy x

Do both the Rockafella and Empire State and Pre book the tickets like we did as then no queuing.
We spent a whole day just going round central park and hired bikes which was fab.
If you get time try the highnline it is the old docks railway and runs parallel to the Hudson River and is a fabulous walk (weather permitting).
We queued for about 20 mins in Times Square and managed to get tickets for Jersey Boys on Broadway at a half the price (I think it was 62) and the seats were fab. For the matinee shows tickets go on sale from 10.00 and for evening performance from 3.00pm they have the queuing for them down to a fine art.
We also took in a baseball game and used the subway which is fine to do and we felt very safe out there.
Enjoy x

We went and watched a basketball game when we were in Miami on our honeymoon. I was tempted to go and watch another in NY as there is one on the next day from the Lionel concert at 'the garden'. But Baseball might be worth a look instead.

We went and watched a basketball game when we were in Miami on our honeymoon. I was tempted to go and watch another in NY as there is one on the next day from the Lionel concert at 'the garden'. But Baseball might be worth a look instead.

Watch baseball drunk. You will thank me for this advise.

Back