• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Newcastle United new owners = death of English Football

That just comes down to your age though, 1990 was special to me as it is the 1st world cup I remember and watched. 1996 was brilliant too. I think the tournament I got most excited about was 2002 as I was 21 years old and me and my mates were up early drinking all day and having the time of our lives. At 39 and settled down I wasn't as excited this time around, but in a group chat with the lads who are still young enough to be playing at my sunday league club, they were massively excited! My step son who is 10 and all his friends were massively caught up as well. Everything is better in "your day"
I have never been one to claim everything was better etc. I was talking about the quality of the football/tournament. The previous Euros in France has to be the dullest tournament ever. Around 50 games, 45 of which were instantly forgettable.

USA 94 was no great tournament but I was in Dublin when Ireland beat Italy. The party continued until late Monday but football cant be judged on the day out.

Not so good in 2002 as two people had a fight round my house before KO in the very early Sunday game England v Sweden?...Still gave the girls something to talk about as they arrived for the main event in the afternoon. It was over one the ladies that it all started.

Most of the World or Euros are in the end of June and usually that is when I am in either Italy or Greece on holiday. It can make it interesting for some games but, as Riggers points out there are a lot of dull, dead game and that isn't accounting for the various (home) nations playing.
Also very few "foreigners" watch anything other than their own nations. I liked watching Croatia at England (96?) and the African sides are usually fun - unless playing another African nation, but my experience is few watch those games for interest alone.

Back