• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Newcastle United new owners = death of English Football

It wasn't the death when Blackburn were the new money club, it wasn't when Chelsea were and the same with Man City. The truth is the premiership has this concentration of money clubs that attracts the best players in the world, it is far from seeing "death" and is probably stronger than it has ever been. As non league fans we may not like it but the premiership is as popular as it has ever been worldwide.

Lol. Welcome to England.
got to love the way that Saudi bloke pays zero attention to his trying too hard, get me a passport wife
If by "passport wife" you mean Amanda Stavely she owns 10% of the club. Whilst as far as I know this is the first time she's officially owned part of a club she's well known for brokering deals on behalf of the Middle East in football (she was involved in the Man City deal as well an attempted bid from the UAE to buy Liverpool), she also arranged significant investment into Barclays from the Middle East after the financial crisis happened. She's worth about 100 million, so she's unlikely to need to marry someone to obtain a passport.

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling the new owners have the same motivation as the last. Spend carefully, stabilise and cash in.

I think Toon fans are in for a big shock. Unai Emery! ha ha ha ha

Glad you can switch teams I have never understood that.

There have been many times in the last 3 years I wish I supported someone else but SUFC is in my heart and my veins and I don't believe in 2nd teams so after over 50 years will be a Shrimper till I or Southend United die.
I've never sw
Glad you can switch teams I have never understood that.

There have been many times in the last 3 years I wish I supported someone else but SUFC is in my heart and my veins and I don't believe in 2nd teams so after over 50 years will be a Shrimper till I or Southend United die.
You seem very quick to judge.

I have never switched teams. My parents and grandparents were from Tottenham hence my interest from a boy, but equally I have lived in Basildon my whole life, hence why I have also followed Southend also.

I've just switched my time and money away from the Premier league.

I've never sw

You seem very quick to judge.

I have never switched teams. My parents and grandparents were from Tottenham hence my interest from a boy, but equally I have lived in Basildon my whole life, hence why I have also followed Southend also.

I've just switched my time and money away from the Premier league.
Sorry didn't mean to sound judgemental, for many years I lived in Norfolk and I had a season ticket for Norwich, simply because I yearned for live football and they were the closest club.

Very occasionally SUFC would play at Carrow Road and I was the quietest season ticket holder in that stadium when Norwich scored, it was a reality check that my heart always won.

After I moved back home I still smile if Norwich win and I have fond memories of Carrow Road but would take Roots Hall on a cold wet windy Tuesday anytime, only one team has ever been in my heart. UTB

League introduces temp ban on advertising from owners' companies!

Hasn't that horse already left the stable, and gone out of the paddock, down the field, along the lane.............I hope you understand the metaphor link.

I have no doubt NUFC's new owners will easily find ways to place £100+ millions into the war chest and get around any FFP rules.

The "brown envelope" will always survive and be welcomed by those with power, influence and GREED.

League introduces temp ban on advertising from owners' companies!

Hasn't that horse already left the stable, and gone out of the paddock, down the field, along the lane.............I hope you understand the metaphor link.

I have no doubt NUFC's new owners will easily find ways to place £100+ millions into the war chest and get around any FFP rules.

The "brown envelope" will always survive and be welcomed by those with power, influence and GREED.
True words

It was only a matter of time, I suspect they may have let him get his 1,000th game done befroe the chop came.
That is a good thought but likely a large part was getting the " mutual consent" agreement and pay off done. There may also be a clause shutting his opinions on the take over down.

That is a good thought but likely a large part was getting the " mutual consent" agreement and pay off done. There may also be a clause shutting his opinions on the take over down.
yes these things take a bit of time, his card was definitely marked - new broom and all that - interestingly my apps conflict with the reason - sky said he was sacked and the BBC said by mutual consent - or was it the other way round?

It wasn't the death when Blackburn were the new money club, it wasn't when Chelsea were and the same with Man City. The truth is the premiership has this concentration of money clubs that attracts the best players in the world, it is far from seeing "death" and is probably stronger than it has ever been. As non league fans we may not like it but the premiership is as popular as it has ever been worldwide.
Stronger as a global product and tax avoidance. But with less English players, coaches, owners and interest from English fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stronger as a global product and tax avoidance. But with less English players, coaches, owners and interest from English fans.
I think the interest from English fans is as high as it has ever been, i'm not sure there is any stats that would prove that either way though. You are right on the rest of it but has it been of detriment to the national game? The England team has had a run in tournaments that eclipses everything bar 1966, there may be less English players than before but they are being tested against the finest players in the world and it is helping us on the international stage. There will be less opportunities for English players in the top division, but those players are not going to be the players that would be in line for international appearances. Non-league and lower league is still vibrant and enjoying better crowds and revenue streams than before the big money came into the premier league, financial mismanagement has put a lot of clubs in trouble trying to level up which is a certainly a concern. I'm not saying all of this foreign investment is brilliant but I think you need to look at the positives it has brought as well as the negatives.

@Ricky Otto and @rigsby I agree with both of you, if that isn't stating night and day stuff.
The money has provided better, skill and tactical coaches, the same for players BUT for every Zola there have been a dozen Caros Kickabouts too.
Technical skills, diets, life style standards have risen, so has ownership of Bentleys and Ferraris.
Fan numbers have risen, TV viewing figures exploded, money has poured in and been syphoned away almost as quickly.
Yes, the England squad, team, have recently prospered, as a bi product and not from any good intentions by prem clubs.
IMO this is a debate topic that could be chewed over for years and years.

Final result is weakening of league pyramids and grass roots. #endof.

I think the interest from English fans is as high as it has ever been, i'm not sure there is any stats that would prove that either way though. You are right on the rest of it but has it been of detriment to the national game? The England team has had a run in tournaments that eclipses everything bar 1966, there may be less English players than before but they are being tested against the finest players in the world and it is helping us on the international stage. There will be less opportunities for English players in the top division, but those players are not going to be the players that would be in line for international appearances. Non-league and lower league is still vibrant and enjoying better crowds and revenue streams than before the big money came into the premier league, financial mismanagement has put a lot of clubs in trouble trying to level up which is a certainly a concern. I'm not saying all of this foreign investment is brilliant but I think you need to look at the positives it has brought as well as the negatives.

I agree with you about the Non league etc. Boosted by people like me who have cancelled their sky and have no interest in the PL and very little at International tournaments.

International football is a waste of time and the PL has been a major factor in that. For those of us old enough to have appreciated the 1982 world cup and the different styles of football. We now have to suffer the global "McDonalds" menu served up each tournament. There are no surprises. The England Scotland game was the dullest ever between the two nations....Probably why we have done well recently.

Don't for one second tell me the nation was more excited last summer than they were in 1990 or 96. Pointless friendlies, qualifiers and even group games means we still cant beat a top 10 team when it really counts.

As for the £billions coming into the English game it still doesn't filter down to the right places and it never will. More money badly spent just means more pressure, as us Shrimpers know only to well. Even Hullbridge had a wage bill of £60,000 per year and are down the bottom Isthmian North.

From world Cups in Qatar, the financial madness of the PL and right down to fights amongst parents of 8 year olds. Far to many things in the beautiful game are just wrong.

I agree with you about the Non league etc. Boosted by people like me who have cancelled their sky and have no interest in the PL and very little at International tournaments.

International football is a waste of time and the PL has been a major factor in that. For those of us old enough to have appreciated the 1982 world cup and the different styles of football. We now have to suffer the global "McDonalds" menu served up each tournament. There are no surprises. The England Scotland game was the dullest ever between the two nations....Probably why we have done well recently.

Don't for one second tell me the nation was more excited last summer than they were in 1990 or 96. Pointless friendlies, qualifiers and even group games means we still cant beat a top 10 team when it really counts.

As for the £billions coming into the English game it still doesn't filter down to the right places and it never will. More money badly spent just means more pressure, as us Shrimpers know only to well. Even Hullbridge had a wage bill of £60,000 per year and are down the bottom Isthmian North.

From world Cups in Qatar, the financial madness of the PL and right down to fights amongst parents of 8 year olds. Far to many things in the beautiful game are just wrong.

That just comes down to your age though, 1990 was special to me as it is the 1st world cup I remember and watched. 1996 was brilliant too. I think the tournament I got most excited about was 2002 as I was 21 years old and me and my mates were up early drinking all day and having the time of our lives. At 39 and settled down I wasn't as excited this time around, but in a group chat with the lads who are still young enough to be playing at my sunday league club, they were massively excited! My step son who is 10 and all his friends were massively caught up as well. Everything is better in "your day"

It will be interesting to see what happens with the club. Money doesn't always bring you success and I hope they don't move too quickly. They need to build it up gradually.

Back