• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Newport County AFC 0 -1 Southend Utd

**** a duck. What a way to end a Tuesday night. We're now no longer bottom. The only way is up (except for one place back down the table :Smile2:)

Neither side coped well with the bounce of the ball on a rock solid frozen pitch, but Newport had no attacking edge with not a single shot on goal in the first half. When Akinola came on he worried the tiring defence and thank goodness Clifford took the free kick. And what a beauty it was, We deserved to win.

Dreadful game of football but 3 massive points and in my opinion thoroughly deserved. We’re off the foot of the table, it’s a small step in the right direction. Looking at our recent fixtures and our up and coming games, this wasn’t one that I’d have thought we’d take 3 points from but I’ll certainly take it against a promotion chasing side (not sure how, they were rubbish). Is it as simple as play four at the back and we win? Probably not but what a difference it makes.

I now have to try and explain to the young boy that this isn’t a regular feeling but as of right now, it’s 100% for him.

Up the BLUES!

I honestly couldn’t see that coming. Much needed win and keeps us in touch. Good to see that defensively we were tighter and more organised and good to see Clifford score another set piece. Age old issues up front with limited chances but I like Akinola. We just need to get him some help. Can’t moan at 3 points.

A very professional performance.

Also, said it before and will say it again, that boy Cliffy is best LB at the club. We're just a much better team when he is playing.

I would like to see the Clifford/Hart link up back on the left side again. I actually think, and not quite sure what it exactly is, that we really miss something when Cliffy is not in the team. Best LB at the club for me

Raging to find out they are 5th!!!!! I can only assume the entire team is isolating and that was their U23's?! They were utter ****

Great win! Proper ugly. Off the bottom and something well and truly to fight for now UTB

Dreadful game of football but 3 massive points and in my opinion thoroughly deserved. We’re off the foot of the table, it’s a small step in the right direction. Looking at our recent fixtures and our up and coming games, this wasn’t one that I’d have thought we’d take 3 points from but I’ll certainly take it against a promotion chasing side (not sure how, they were rubbish). Is it as simple as play four at the back and we win? Probably not but what a difference it makes.

I now have to try and explain to the young boy that this isn’t a regular feeling but as of right now, it’s 100% for him.

Up the BLUES!

Did he stay awake ? What a great start for our youngest supporter.

I thought we were going to rue the half-chances missed - all two of them.
But we had a decent slice of luck helped by jumping, scrapping and scurrying in midfield.
After a win, it's a bit churlish to pick holes, but we've got to add a bit more threat in attack haven't we?

Raging to find out they are 5th!!!!! I can only assume the entire team is isolating and that was their U23's?! They were utter ****

Great win! Proper ugly. Off the bottom and something well and truly to fight for now UTB

Well there’s 3 of them suspended for red cards in their previous 3 games and their leading goal scorer went back to Swindon at the start of January. We couldn’t have had a better time to play them.

Well done lads, excellent result and to be honest felt we deserved it. Possibly the scrappiest game I’ve ever seen - Newport need to take a look at themselves - I appreciate the weather/rugby/games in a short space of time have their impact, but even so, I’ve played on better council pitches than that.

However, I thought we showed more desire than Newport to win the game. Such a pleasing reaction following the recent debacles. A return to the 4–2-3-1 was much welcomed and I felt as the game wore on we looked a real threat in the wide areas. Halford did excellently holding the ball up I felt, with ANG and Reeco looking a real handful. Credit to the lads at the back and the midfield too; did the simple things well and scrapped it out.

A special mention to the Ox too - some excellent point blank saves to ensure we got all 3 points.

More of the same of those basic principles, desire and grit for Saturday please!

Back