• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Newport County AFC 0 -1 Southend Utd

Just watched the extended highlights on iFollow (with the Northern commentator, not the one from last night), it's a measure of how poor the first half was that of the 9 minutes of action, only the first minute is before half-time and that includes the pre-match build-up!

One of the keys for last night was keeping it at 0-0 for a long time. Credit to the whole of the midfield for working hard to do that. Demi gets a fair bit of criticism on here but I thought he did his job well last night. He wasn't so great going forwards but he works hard, breaks up play and covers well. Same for Dieng and Ferguson I thought. The fact that they didn't get forwards to support Halford left him rather isolated and I think RHF and ANG should have got closer to him to help him out on that score. However credit to Halford, he kept trying and, like @rigsby , I did enjoy him flattening their centre half!

Halford is definitely not the long term solution up there, but Acquah could learn a lot from him.

I still think Ranger could do that job even better if he can get his body, and more importantly his mind fit for purpose!

Just watched the extended highlights on iFollow (with the Northern commentator, not the one from last night), it's a measure of how poor the first half was that of the 9 minutes of action, only the first minute is before half-time and that includes the pre-match build-up!

One of the keys for last night was keeping it at 0-0 for a long time. Credit to the whole of the midfield for working hard to do that. Demi gets a fair bit of criticism on here but I thought he did his job well last night. He wasn't so great going forwards but he works hard, breaks up play and covers well. Same for Dieng and Ferguson I thought. The fact that they didn't get forwards to support Halford left him rather isolated and I think RHF and ANG should have got closer to him to help him out on that score. However credit to Halford, he kept trying and, like @rigsby , I did enjoy him flattening their centre half!

Halford is definitely not the long term solution up there, but Acquah could learn a lot from him.

I still think Ranger could do that job even better if he can get his body, and more importantly his mind fit for purpose!
Demi and Ferguson did the battling disciplined stuff in front of the back 4 very well. Demi totally underrated by those that don't appreciate the importance of what he does in the system- the 3 & 1 ahead do the fancy "attacking" stuff - in part due to the ugly stuff done by the 2 behind them.

Back