• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Fingers crossed for a better referee than Saturday's. Tomorrow's referee has achieved something that no other referee in the world has managed - he has presided over a Southend win against Morecambe !

The man in charge is Rob Lewis, from Shrewsbury. This is the fifth season of his second spell as a League referee, having lost his place in 2008 primarily due to injury.

Another one of our shorter officials, he oversaw our comfortable Cup win at Morecambe last season - 6 yellows, Leonard and Atkinson for us and 4 for them. He was also in charge of our opening game of last season against Plymouth when we won 1-0 (Corr) and he did pretty well; just a couple of cautions for them. Co-incidentally he also did the final game of the previous season, doubly co-incidentally against Morecambe. We, and he, did less well in that game losing by the only goal, Hurst's yellow being the only card shown.

His first visit to the Hall was for the 2-0 home victory over Luton (Bailey and a late goal from Walker) in 2007/8. Previously he had refereed our 3-0 defeat at Derby in the Championship the season before (five cautions in that match; unusually four to the home side).

More recently he presided over the dreadful 0-0 with Aldershot towards the end of the 2010/11 season. His performance, whilst only average, was rather better than that of the players. He cautioned Grant and Corr and one of theirs.

His other previous home game came on a Friday night 2012/13, when 3 second half goals gave us the 3 points against Chesterfield. No cards.

Mr Lewis' main claim to fame is the fact that he was the assistant referee involved in the incredible decision when Tottenham's Pedro Mendes' long shot at Old Trafford was about two yards over the line but no goal was given.

This season he has started late through injury and has officiated in just 9 matches showing a below average 19 yellow and 2 red cards. Unusually 6 of his last 7 red cards have been shown to home players as have the majority of his yellow cards this season.

Not to be confused with famous referee R. Lewis from Great Bookham, who refereed the Hillsborough tragedy match (and our 4-4 draw with Northampton).

The rest of the team are all regular visitors to Roots Hall. Ginger haired psychology teacher from Ipswich, Carl Fitch and Londoner, Matt Foley will be running the lines and Darren Blunden from Dartford will be fourth official (he was one of the "linos" in the somewhat damp game against Newport last year).

Mr Lewis' main claim to fame is the fact that he was the assistant referee involved in the incredible decision when Tottenham's Pedro Mendes' long shot at Old Trafford was about two yards over the line but no goal was given.

...but then again, it wouldn't have been credable if he'd given it, mainly coz he was a good 40 yards away when it came down from the bar.

...but then again, it wouldn't have been credable if he'd given it, mainly coz he was a good 40 yards away when it came down from the bar.

It didn't come off the bar did it? Didn't Roy Carroll just fumble it over his shoulder into the goal and then scoop it out of the net (and I mean literally out of the net, it was almost touching the net). He can't have been unsighted for the whole incident?

I was at that Derby game :-( I can't recall having any issues with the Ref despite the humbling defeat. It was one of the few occasions on which Michael "Fatter than your Wallet" Ricketts graced a football pitch in the Southend shirt. You could see the quality, what a waste.

Last edited:
Was also at that Derby game and remember how our defence was cut to shreds. Simon Francis looked close to tears at the end of what was a very humbling experience. Rickets as a sub looked totally indifferent at half time kick about and when he did come on missed an absolute sitter. Was still laughing and joking as he boarded the team bus. Must have been so happy that he had found a club willing to take him on.

I was at that Derby game :-( I can't recall having any issues with the Ref despite the humbling defeat. It was one of the few occasions on which Michael "Fatter than your Wallet" Ricketts graced a football pitch in the Southend shirt. You could see the quality, what a waste.

You could see the quality, what a waist.

It didn't hit the bar and he would have been roughly in line with the front edge of the penalty area when Carroll was retrieving the ball. Giving this goal would have been entirely credible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoCSmLj3ms

One of these rare occassions where we disagree.

Of course its not credible. Even with your "been roughly in line with the front edge of the penalty area" he would have been 18 yards off a line decision.

However if you watch the link, he would have been in line with the second rearmost defender, I reckon that is closer to 30 yards, when the shot was taken and the line was moving up so he would have been going in the wrong direction to start with. The ball goes over the keeper, making it impossible to see exactly where it lands. And of course the assistant is at ground level and does not have the benefit of a raised camera position.

A best it takes a second and a half for the ball to travel the distance to the goal. From a standing start, 30 yards out, how close to the goal would the assistant get?? At best he'd have got 5 yards (10 if he was Linford Christie).

So, that would be a line decision given at 25 yards away, by an assistant on the move, where the ball is obscured. Any decision to give a goal would have been entirely guesswork and not credible. And that was the view of the RA and FA at the time.

Of course this is one of the reasons why we now (at last) have assisted technology for these kind of things.

I know it will never happen in football like it does still a little bit in other sports, but wouldn't it have been refreshing if a keeper alerted the ref to the fact it was a goal and helped out a bit, especially when it is so obvious!

Also, whoever the co-commentator was saying "I'm 50 yards away and can see it's a goal" .. Yes, of course you can after four replays. Even old Alan Parry wasn't sure on first viewing, so how's the ref meant to be sure!

It didn't hit the bar and he would have been roughly in line with the front edge of the penalty area when Carroll was retrieving the ball. Giving this goal would have been entirely credible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoCSmLj3ms

One of these rare occassions where we disagree.

Of course its not credible. Even with your "been roughly in line with the front edge of the penalty area" he would have been 18 yards off a line decision.

However if you watch the link, he would have been in line with the second rearmost defender, I reckon that is closer to 30 yards, when the shot was taken and the line was moving up so he would have been going in the wrong direction to start with. The ball goes over the keeper, making it impossible to see exactly where it lands. And of course the assistant is at ground level and does not have the benefit of a raised camera position.

A best it takes a second and a half for the ball to travel the distance to the goal. From a standing start, 30 yards out, how close to the goal would the assistant get?? At best he'd have got 5 yards (10 if he was Linford Christie).

So, that would be a line decision given at 25 yards away, by an assistant on the move, where the ball is obscured. Any decision to give a goal would have been entirely guesswork and not credible. And that was the view of the RA and FA at the time.

Of course this is one of the reasons why we now (at last) have assisted technology for these kind of things.

Stop the video at 0:33. The shot is already on its way and the linesman was well positioned in line with the defender about 35 yards out and moving quite quickly. It is another full 3 seconds before Carroll can be seen well into his goal scooping out the ball which is even further into the goal. In that time he should have managed to get close enough to make the correct decision. Maybe his concentration lapsed when he thought Carroll had caught the ball? Who knows? But seeing Carroll's position relative to the goal line and the fact he was reaching at full length into the goal might have been a clue even if he didn't see the ball virtually against the back of the goal netting!

Stop the video at 0:33. The shot is already on its way and the linesman was well positioned in line with the defender about 35 yards out and moving quite quickly. It is another full 3 seconds before Carroll can be seen well into his goal scooping out the ball which is even further into the goal. In that time he should have managed to get close enough to make the correct decision. Maybe his concentration lapsed when he thought Carroll had caught the ball? Who knows? But seeing Carroll's position relative to the goal line and the fact he was reaching at full length into the goal might have been a clue even if he didn't see the ball virtually against the back of the goal netting!

No matter how you want to describe it, you are asking an assistant to give a line decision from at the very least 20 yards. Its not credible, and I'd be horrified if an assistant gave that to me. It basic lining NOT to give it, coz you are guessing.

Ask yourself this, you are reffing a Sunday game and the same thing happens, you are at the corner of the penalty area. Would you give it? I wouldn't.

Anyhow, it does dash the suggestion made in the Tranmere thread that we have a meeting before coming up with a defence of a referee!

Have to say, I thought he was one of the best refs we've seen this season. Didn't throw cards around like confetti, tried to play advantage whenever possible, and actually allowed some physical contact rather than blowing his whistle every 30 secs. The difference between him and the muppet who did Saturday's game was huge.

Mick / LF - I assume he'd have got a good assessment?

Have to say, I thought he was one of the best refs we've seen this season. Didn't throw cards around like confetti, tried to play advantage whenever possible, and actually allowed some physical contact rather than blowing his whistle every 30 secs. The difference between him and the muppet who did Saturday's game was huge.

Mick / LF - I assume he'd have got a good assessment?

Agree - I hardly noticed him.

Was very impressed with the ref last night, and chalk and cheese compared to Saturday. Also went someway to contributing to an entertaining game and did not spoil it.

Played advantage on numerous occasions and got most decisions spot on.

I particularly liked the fact that he attempted to play advantage but if it didn't materialise, he brought then play back for a free kick. Best ref we have had for a very long time. Well done, sir.

Back