• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next 3 Matches

It is quite a common train of thought that teams with play-off aspirations need to be in a good position come January & then "kick on" with a good run.

We (Southend United) are not in a bad position (and so much better than this time 12 months ago) but can we start adding to the points tally once again?

Solihull Moors (H)
Darlington (H) - Cup game
Boreham Wood (A)

Even after that, we have another 3 league games in January to follow.

What do we think?

I think we'll soon be out of the play-off spots unfortunately what with our form and teams below us either on the same points or 1 or 2 away and with games in hand.

I predicted a 10th place finish at the beginning of the season and I still think that's about right, although I'll happily be wrong and see us finish higher.

It's highly unlikely we'll be signing anyone anytime soon and our keeper situation is by far perfect. Who know's we could even lose a player or two, hopefully not though.

I also fear things off the pitch will continue to decline, which in my opinion does affect what goes on on the pitch. I can't see how the players can maintain their team morale when the people around them aren't getting paid on time constantly. They could also be worrying whether they're monies going to be in on payday too and whether your going to be able to pay your bills on time, these are only non league players after all.

In typical SUFC style we will win the next 10 games as well as the 3 you mention, and then still somehow manage to grab kicking and screaming defeat outta the hands of success in gaining promotion!! ;)

Ps I'm not clairvoyant or own a crystal ball. I'm hopeful every game, that's football.

We are awful, no bite no quick shutting players down..powell exception.. no way will we be in the play-offs in 4/5 games time....off field situ is making a difference... of course Kev has to say we are all good in training and looking to hit back with a win sat... not going to happen in MY opinion... he would have had a few players lined up in this window to push on and cement our place up there... but the time its lifted they will have signed for someone else....thanks Ron.

Hmm I think if we improve on last season it’ll be progress, but of course we have a shot at play offs until it’s mathematically impossible. My heart says yes we can put a run together and stay in contention but my head says we’ll fall away and miss out.

Life’s never boring following Southend.

Hmm I think if we improve on last season it’ll be progress, but of course we have a shot at play offs until it’s mathematically impossible. My heart says yes we can put a run together and stay in contention but my head says we’ll fall away and miss out.

Life’s never boring following Southend.
I agree..after 40 plus years supporting the mighty blues...but my heart and head in sync ,,,mid table finish..with all this external mess going on! wow how many times have us long time supporters witnessed the blues with money problems..many many times & before do ron ron ... just not as bad.. up the blues!

It is quite a common train of thought that teams with play-off aspirations need to be in a good position come January & then "kick on" with a good run.

We (Southend United) are not in a bad position (and so much better than this time 12 months ago) but can we start adding to the points tally once again?

Solihull Moors (H)
Darlington (H) - Cup game
Boreham Wood (A)

Even after that, we have another 3 league games in January to follow.

What do we think?
What do you think, in response Rattus? Are you positive/hopeful or more reality based!!??

I am ever hopeful ...... a series of poor performances just means that we are getting closer to a time when there will be good performances.

If we can beat Solihull Moors without sustaining any more injuries then the confidence & "style" might come flooding back.

I don't believe all this about the players being demotivated by the financial position - the managerial team are there to get the players to play to their best & that's what we should be looking for.

Last edited:
I think we will make the play offs, but only in the lower positions, which given where we have come from and the off field stuff would be viewed as a success and progress. Was it 11th we finished last year?

I think the following season we have to be looking at automatic, anything else would be a failure.

beginning of the season most on here said if we finish in a playoff position it would be a successful season as most expected ( like me ) a mid table finish ,and hopefully a nibble or two at playoffs, There was always going to be some poor results and performances ,but i can say up to know we have exceeded my expectations and im more excited at what next season can bring ,once the bridging loan is finalised and FF is under way, new training ground etc and our finances in a more stable condition,, new additions to strengthen the squad even more. and God willing at least one extra promotion spot given to VNL. This season i see it as a 3 way fight for the 2 promotion spots Notts, Wrexham and Chesterfield. I hope Gillingham with there new millionaire owner escape relegation as if they dont i can see them buying big to get automatic promotion next season should they be in VNL .

The remaining games for this month are Oldham (A), Maidenhead (A) & Eastleigh (H).

The game against Eastleigh will be an interesting indication of where the team is compared with the away fixture earlier in the season.

We won our games at home against Maidenhead & Oldham so an opportunity to get 6 points from both these teams.

Oldham will be desperate for points to pull away from the relegation area whilst Maidenhead are on a poor run at the moment.

beginning of the season most on here said if we finish in a playoff position it would be a successful season as most expected ( like me ) a mid table finish ,and hopefully a nibble or two at playoffs, There was always going to be some poor results and performances ,but i can say up to know we have exceeded my expectations and im more excited at what next season can bring ,once the bridging loan is finalised and FF is under way, new training ground etc and our finances in a more stable condition,, new additions to strengthen the squad even more. and God willing at least one extra promotion spot given to VNL. This season i see it as a 3 way fight for the 2 promotion spots Notts, Wrexham and Chesterfield. I hope Gillingham with there new millionaire owner escape relegation as if they dont i can see them buying big to get automatic promotion next season should they be in VNL .
If we don’t make it, I hope Wrexham & Notts get out of there. I can see Hartlepool & Rochdale (or Col Ewes if they get dragged down) will struggle in NL.

Back