• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next Manager in?

Simple. Would love Next manager to be........?

• Mark Bentley

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • A Nother

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • Stan Collymore

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Steve Tilson

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Neil Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Darren Currie

Votes: 100 34.1%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Mark Stimson

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Ian Holloway

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Uwe Rosler

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Sean O'Driscoll

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Graham Westley

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Neil Harris

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • John White

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Bart Griemink

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
Nathan Rooney?
An interesting name, I didn’t know much about him so did a bit of research. Came in and then left a coaching role at Port Vale due to managing at Colne FC.

Reading up about Port Vale it seems that they restructured their football operations earlier this year to a structure which is, I assume, similar to what we’re planning. They’re currently sitting 3rd in League 2 so, so far so good….

Brentford’s weapon of choice was football analytics. It’s enabled them to make £120 million in 5 years on 10 players and still retain an excellent squad.
before anyone says it ,mthat recruitment also include some cheap players and a Free transfer
we don’t have the money they had but some mimicking wouldn’t go amiss

Brentford’s weapon of choice was football analytics. It’s enabled them to make £120 million in 5 years on 10 players and still retain an excellent squad.
before anyone says it ,mthat recruitment also include some cheap players and a Free transfer
we don’t have the money they had but some mimicking wouldn’t go amiss
Yet people mocked Mark Molesley's iPad which for all they knew could been the key to moneyballing us into the big time.

Coughlan for me would be a poor choice, doesnt know the league and awful with Mansfield. Ditto maher. Would be happy with Smith or Currie, both know the league and would surely have some local contacts.

Not really. We could approach Pep and Man City would turn us down. It doesn't prove anything.
Well it proves (or appears to suggest, shall we say) that we are actively looking for managers (both in work and not), rather than just sit and wait for candidates to apply. I'm not sure we've done that the last few years and if we have, it certainly hasn't been public knowledge. To me it's encouraging from that viewpoint.

We tried that with Molesley really, I don't think we're in the right place to be taking risks and doing that, we need someone with experience in the league and someone who can help bring stability to the club.
You get stability by sticking with a manager for more than 6 months.
Appoint the right man and then stick with them.

Not sure if you mean experience in the (Football) League or in the division but either way this is overrated. You want someone who is good, not someone who is experienced.

Yeah not really sure why people are ruling Darren Currie out?

Took Barnet to the playoffs with a very restricted budget, should've gotten in over Molesley any day, stand by that ever since Molesley was appointed.
Apparently off the back of a lot of good work from John Still previously?

I wouldnt be that miffed with Currie at all, just would be an odd step after all the processes and committees and interviews and we end up with Currie anyways!

'End up' with is probably disingenuous tbf - as you say, if he's come through the process correctly as the best name, then all well and good. I'd back him 100%

Not sure if you mean experience in the (Football) League or in the division but either way this is overrated. You want someone who is good, not someone who is experienced.
That is what I meant by stability, someone who can steady the ship, keep us in the division this season and then slowly build hopefully a successful side and bring stability to the club overall.

By the experience, I mean in this league mostly, I think the new manager needs to know the right players are to recruit to be successful in the National League, and then the chance of hopefully once being promoted again, knows how to secure ourselves back into the Football League, obviously it's not a short task by any means, and it needs to be one manager to do it, one every season which has been the common occurrence lately.

That is what I meant by stability, someone who can steady the ship, keep us in the division this season and then slowly build hopefully a successful side and bring stability to the club overall.

By the experience, I mean in this league mostly, I think the new manager needs to know the right players are to recruit to be successful in the National League, and then the chance of hopefully once being promoted again, knows how to secure ourselves back into the Football League, obviously it's not a short task by any means, and it needs to be one manager to do it, one every season which has been the common occurrence lately.
If you want a manager who knows the right players you want a manager who knows u23 players, L1/L2 out of favour players or Isthmian League and Southern League players.

Yeah not really sure why people are ruling Darren Currie out?

Took Barnet to the playoffs with a very restricted budget, should've gotten in over Molesley any day, stand by that ever since Molesley was appointed.
Whilst he did take them to the playoffs, it was on a points per game basis when they finished that season in 11th place. Got behind with fixtures mainly because of games being called off when pitch was unfit plus a weekend with a cup match. So you could view the achievement in different ways it certainly was by fellow NL teams.

Yes, but if you make an horrendous mistake like Molesley you have to bite the bullet and put it right fast.

Lots of new members seem to be signing up to the Zone. Good to see. I suspect that the change in the club's mentality and forthcoming new structure driven by SVC has a lot to do with this.

Well it proves (or appears to suggest, shall we say) that we are actively looking for managers (both in work and not), rather than just sit and wait for candidates to apply. I'm not sure we've done that the last few years and if we have, it certainly hasn't been public knowledge. To me it's encouraging from that viewpoint.

Again, not really. It could also just be window dressing because it looks good to us fans when we go for someone that we all know, and know is doing a good job, where we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of being successful.

For clarity, I'm not saying that is the case. I'm just saying you can't really read anything into the approach.

I think people are sleeping on Mark Beard as a candidate.

He applied last time out and seems to tick all the criteria Stan has mentioned: he’s in his 40s, has a connection with the club, has experience at this level as both player and coach, was highly regarded for his work with Brighton’s kids, has all his badges etc. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t one of the candidates interviewed.

I think people are sleeping on Mark Beard as a candidate.

He applied last time out and seems to tick all the criteria Stan has mentioned: he’s in his 40s, has a connection with the club, has experience at this level as both player and coach, was highly regarded for his work with Brighton’s kids, has all his badges etc. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t one of the candidates interviewed.
I asked about beard got told he’s not in the running….. from a good source

Back