• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next Manager in?

Simple. Would love Next manager to be........?

• Mark Bentley

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • A Nother

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • Stan Collymore

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Steve Tilson

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Neil Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Darren Currie

Votes: 100 34.1%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Mark Stimson

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Ian Holloway

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Uwe Rosler

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Sean O'Driscoll

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Graham Westley

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Neil Harris

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • John White

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Bart Griemink

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
Stan's list did contain names that would require the club to seek permission to talk to them- i.e. they are in a job. RM never wanted to approach managers already in a role. Stan probably wants to identify the best possible candidate and there is nothing to lose by asking.

Clearly it would take something very compelling for him to come. But never rule anything out. Everyone has their price/motivation. I like it not because I think it will happen, but because it says we are serious about going and finding the best candidates rather than waiting to see who applies.

Sorry lads but youve got more chance getting Jurgen Klopp than James Rowe. Recently signed a new deal with us…******* a load in the transfer market. Settled with a new baby in Chesterfield. We are a club on the up and the exact same size so that wouldn’t be a factor either. Wouldn’t even entertain this ridiculous ’rumour’…all it is is a no e story for clicks by the media.
SUFC is simply building a shortlist at the moment, and has asked Chesterfield permission for James Rowe to be on it. I don't doubt that at all. What I do doubt is whether either Chesterfield or Rowe himself will respond favourably. No harm in trying though!

Sorry lads but youve got more chance getting Jurgen Klopp than James Rowe. Recently signed a new deal with us…******* a load in the transfer market. Settled with a new baby in Chesterfield. We are a club on the up and the exact same size so that wouldn’t be a factor either. Wouldn’t even entertain this ridiculous ’rumour’…all it is is a no e story for clicks by the media.
Whilst I don't think there is a chance in hell of Rowe joining Southend, I do enjoy your suggestion that the Daily Mail would choose Southend United to use for clickbait.

There are probably a million topics that would generate more clicks than a Southend United manager rumour.

I can't see why this rumour wouldn't be true, seems an odd one to make up considering we're nobodies compared to the size of the DM's readership. Chris Phillips has also tweeted that we've contacted Chesterfield about him. Suspect the response we got back though was the same as we got from Neil Harris: "No".

I have a contact at FedEx. He tells me a model of the new stadium has been shipped to an address in the Chesterfield area..

Whilst I don't think there is a chance in hell of Rowe joining Southend, I do enjoy your suggestion that the Daily Mail would choose Southend United to use for clickbait.

There are probably a million topics that would generate more clicks than a Southend United manager rumour.
Not in this part of Perth there are not!

Doesn't sound like a rumour at all. It sounds like it's true. That said, I think we've got a snowball's chance in hell of even being given permission to talk to him.

If for some reason that snowball should survive and we do end up with him then we'll have done you a favour because he would have to have a screw loose to even come within 100 miles of us.

Everything you have said is entirely accurate (except the Daily Mail making up a click bait story about Southend / Chesterfield) but stranger things have happened!

My money still says Darren Currie I would love James Rowe though but can’t see it happening

Putting aside whether or not Rowe would be keen to make the move south, what I find fascinating is the fact that we have even asked for permission to speak to him. If we've done our homework (which I'm sure we have with Stan now on board) then surely we must know that we'd be required to pay substantial compensation? Unless he has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for nothing to a club who are in the bottom 4 of the National League?!

Last edited:
Putting aside whether or not Rowe would be keen to make the move south, what I find fascinating is the fact that we have even asked for permission to speak to him. If we've done our homework (which I'm sure we have with Stan now on board) then surely we must know that we'd be required to pay substantial compensation? Unless he has a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to a club who are in the bottom 4 of the National League?!
Why would you leave a team who is top of the league and come to us a club that maybe in the national league south

Why would you leave a team who is top of the league and come to us a club that maybe in the national league south
I left a successful business to join another because of a relationship I had with the guy that had left before me. He was a true leader and sold me the dream. It worked out very well for all concerned! So perhaps similar. Can Stan sell the dream I don’t know but at least it’s showing us that they are looking for the best.

Back