• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just out of interest, those expecting 7th and above, what are you basing it on?
Our first 10 games of the season, under Phil Brown, yielded 8 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 36.8 points which would have been bottom 4 this season - even with Dover and their massive points deduction. That's a relegation place next year.

The remaining 34 games under the three amigos yielded 50 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 67.65 points which would have been 9/10th this season (yes, I know it was only a 44 game season but bear with me!)

HOWEVER, KM had a standing start with a squad he inherited and his first 10 games only yielded 11 points.

I would expect the clear out of players, the squad he has already assembled plus the signings to be made with the advantage of a proper scouting network and due diligence will yield the additional points to help us become a top 7 side next season.

Our first 10 games of the season, under Phil Brown, yielded 8 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 36.8 points which would have been bottom 4 this season - even with Dover and their massive points deduction. That's a relegation place next year.

The remaining 34 games under the three amigos yielded 50 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 67.65 points which would have been 9/10th this season (yes, I know it was only a 44 game season but bear with me!)

HOWEVER, KM had a standing start with a squad he inherited and his first 10 games only yielded 11 points.

I would expect the clear out of players, the squad he has already assembled plus the signings to be made with the advantage of a proper scouting network and due diligence will yield the additional points to help us become a top 7 side next season.

What Shrimpergarry said 👍

I do follow your logic but there is now a new factor which warrants serious attention - lack of resources . We could instigate an immediate freeze on new recruitment or perhaps sell several of our better players to remedy the unhappy situation. This will most likely result in us dropping valuable points . But a smaller playing budget will allow the non-players at the club to get paid. I would hate to be a member of staff who isn't being paid because it would make me feel my contribution to the club was not being properly recognised and I would be even more upset if I found some of my colleagues were being paid their wages in full. Balancing a budget is never easy but the task does need to be performed with a proper sense of fairness at its core . Chesterfield Town , a charity-owned club, set a balanced budget and are a great example of what can be achieved without having a wealthy owner at the helm .

A good start to the campaign will build confidence. With a balanced squad and strength in depth we will need to sustain a good 10-15 game run at the start of the season.
If we do that a top 7 finish would be expected.

Let's be honest - if we're not in contention by Christmas there will be talk of managerial changes.
I think we'll do well - if Maher is able to get in a few more to complement what we have already. Based on the signings we've seen so far I've got faith in him to do this, but whilst I agree with his strategy of pulling a few gems out of the lower leagues, I also think we'll need a couple (not a team full) of more experienced pros to keep us organised. I also like most of the attacking players we have at the club, but I don't see how they all fit together - I hope Maher et al have a plan.
I'm less worried about what Wrexham are spending. Last summer they spent £200k on one player - but that player was Ben Tozer who's a good lower league pro - nothing more. Surely a sensible club would pick up one of those on a free, and spend the £200k on improving the ground or something, rather than giving it to another club?

Just out of interest, those expecting 7th and above, what are you basing it on?
The financial side of things. It would be a disaster to remain in this league for a further season so I believe there will be huge pressure from above to ensure this doesn't happen. It's up to Kev, Benno and Darren to oversee things to make sure it doesn't.

The financial side of things. It would be a disaster to remain in this league for a further season so I believe there will be huge pressure from above to ensure this doesn't happen. It's up to Kev, Benno and Darren to oversee things to make sure it doesn't.
Plenty of clubs have thrown money at promotion bids and failed.

revenue from 5k plus crowds ..
This is flawed though as Roots Hall costs us a fortune to maintain and we also make very little money on matchdays through food and drink sales due to the infrastructure issues.

Not to mention that other clubs are not owned by Ron Martin, and indeed many at this level are owned by people flush with cash.

The player who kept us best organised last year had a grand total of 2 league cup appearances to his name when we signed him on loan from Sheffield Utd.
And i hope we can get him again either on loan or permanent along with his 2 team mates

A good start to the campaign will build confidence. With a balanced squad and strength in depth we will need to sustain a good 10-15 game run at the start of the season.
If we do that a top 7 finish would be expected.
I'm pretty certain come last Oct both Wrexham & Stockport weren't in the top 7?. Yet they both got their 'acts together' after that, although in Wrexham's case, not enough.

Champions for me

Going for the old Orient trick of being absolutely w**k in the first year and then winning the league out of nowhere? Classic manoeuvre.

FWIW I won’t be backing against you for a top 7 finish this year. Think you’re a bit short of quality up front to go for the title, mind. 5th-9th seems realistic.

Going for the old Orient trick of being absolutely w**k in the first year and then winning the league out of nowhere? Classic manoeuvre.

FWIW I won’t be backing against you for a top 7 finish this year. Think you’re a bit short of quality up front to go for the title, mind. 5th-9th seems realistic.
Got to agree with you mate ,i also think we are short on quality up front when it comes to putting the ball in the onion bag

My worry, is we are going to end up with another Chris Powell situation.

Comes in, looks like we are going to storm the playoffs but falls short ...

Is this ringing any bells?

All this talk of "play offs at least" is just dangerous, the squad is currently not good enough. We are about 5 jigsaw pieces short ATM

Yes it is possible that we could get 14 major injuries in a season and so called fans stab the manger in the back. Then we have a succession of strange mangers, spend more than ever trying to correct crass signings and drop another 2 levels.

I’m rather hoping history doesn’t repeat itself and we finish top 7. There is a chance we won’t be finishing the season at all but one thing is certain….. Shrimpet Steve will still be my favourite one line troll.

Back