• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes it is possible that we could get 14 major injuries in a season and so called fans stab the manger in the back. Then we have a succession of strange mangers, spend more than ever trying to correct crass signings and drop another 2 levels.

I’m rather hoping history doesn’t repeat itself and we finish top 7. There is a chance we won’t be finishing the season at all but one thing is certain….. Shrimpet Steve will still be my favourite one line troll.
And the players who are excellent at one club who move and it simply does not work out.

My worry, is we are going to end up with another Chris Powell situation.

Comes in, looks like we are going to storm the playoffs but falls short ...

Is this ringing any bells?

All this talk of "play offs at least" is just dangerous, the squad is currently not good enough. We are about 5 jigsaw pieces short ATM
Good job we are looking at signing 5/6 new players. Pre-season doesn't start for 2-3 weeks, then there is a further month before the season starts. Add to that the open transfer window which means we can sign players whenever we need.

Since the start of the year, we've been the 7th-9th best team. We've already added the best young player of the division and a must needed defensive-minded midfielder.

I have dipped into a few of our rivals' fan sites and we seem to be their idea of a club to be challenging.
Wrexham are, it appears, nailed on champs BUT it is a long hard season for everyone.
What is apparent is that most teams challenging rely on 3 or 4 better players so injuries and luck are, literally game changers.
Keep fit, keep lucky, keep solvent and I expect us to be top 7.

Have to be going for play-offs and I would hope we would be one of the teams who only has to play one game before the final

Our first 10 games of the season, under Phil Brown, yielded 8 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 36.8 points which would have been bottom 4 this season - even with Dover and their massive points deduction. That's a relegation place next year.

The remaining 34 games under the three amigos yielded 50 points. Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and that is 67.65 points which would have been 9/10th this season (yes, I know it was only a 44 game season but bear with me!)

HOWEVER, KM had a standing start with a squad he inherited and his first 10 games only yielded 11 points.

I would expect the clear out of players, the squad he has already assembled plus the signings to be made with the advantage of a proper scouting network and due diligence will yield the additional points to help us become a top 7 side next season.

Absolutely this.

Not only did he have 11 games with an inherited squad, Maher and team had to start from scratch in terms of passing on their methodology as well as drag a squad from the deepest darkest places of zero confidence - some of which had gone on for 3 years.

In addition to the above, throw a full pre-season into the mix I think we will hit the ground running. Once thing we didn't have in the second part of the season was a plan B - changes of personnel and systems saw a dip in results following the end of the unbeaten run. Maidenhead away a glaring example of this. Pre-season allows you the time and matches to work on multiple systems when it doesn't matter.

This is where we will be visiting next season. Reminds me of Brighton's previous stadium for the distance from the pitch. Bring your binoculars.

Attachments

• C46EF334-BA56-4290-8433-88C6908CC06B.png
    C46EF334-BA56-4290-8433-88C6908CC06B.png
    807.1 KB · Views: 62
Activity at Chesterfield.

A new Head of Recruitment, Neill Hornby, who was previously at Burton Albion and Joe Cook, a defender aged 23 from Bognor Regis.

This is where we will be visiting next season. Reminds me of Brighton's previous stadium for the distance from the pitch. Bring your binoculars.
Not quite. Supporters at Gateshead are situated to the side of the pitch, rather than behind the goal (and the curve of the athletics track), so it’s more like being in the main stand at Chelmsford City, for example, than the Withdean.

I went to Gateshead for a game.
They announced the man of the match.
The only problem was that it took three days to find him!

Personally I think next season they have to get it right from the off or else.
Stability is very important.
Stopping the rot seems to be the target for a number of NL clubs
Also it is very important to accept that SUFC are a non league club.

Some supporters may say "we are too big for this league"....Wrong!
Just look at the fall of Oldham Athletic.

All of the NL crowds will suffer due to the high cost of living.

The NL will be very interesting this coming season with a wage cap.

Stability is very important.
Stopping the rot seems to be the target for a number of NL clubs
Also it is very important to accept that SUFC are a non league club.

Some supporters may say "we are too big for this league"....Wrong!
Just look at the fall of Oldham Athletic.

All of the NL crowds will suffer due to the high cost of living.

The NL will be very interesting this coming season with a wage cap.
Throughout it's history (and certainly while I've been a supporter) apart from last season and next SUFC has been a proud lower division league club.That's where I want us to return asap.

While clubs like Oldham might be a NL club next season the whole point I'd have thought is to regain your league status asap.

What I certainly don't want for SUFC is to emulate Cambridge United who were stuck in the NL for 10 seasons or so according to my CU supporting mate who I go to Espanyol games with.

Last edited:
Back