• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Throughout it's history (and certainly while I've been a supporter) apart from last season and next SUFC has been a proud lower division league club.That's where I want us to return asap.

While clubs like Oldham might be a NL club next season the whole point I'd have though is to regain your league status asap.

What I certainly don't want for SUFC is to emulate Cambridge United who were stuck in the NL for 10 seasons or so according to my CU supporting mate who I go to Espanyol games with.

Thank you very much for your very positive reply.

Stability is very important.
Stopping the rot seems to be the target for a number of NL clubs
Also it is very important to accept that SUFC are a non league club.

Some supporters may say "we are too big for this league"....Wrong!
Just look at the fall of Oldham Athletic.

All of the NL crowds will suffer due to the high cost of living.

The NL will be very interesting this coming season with a wage cap.
You are right, attendances will probably suffer although non league gates improved last season. It is thought that the Premiership and EFL are beginning to be too costly for people and therefore some fans will go along and support their local non league team. So we may lose some punters but gain others.

You are right, attendances will probably suffer although non league gates improved last season. It is thought that the Premiership and EFL are beginning to be too costly for people and therefore some fans will go along and support their local non league team. So we may lose some punters but gain others.
Frankly, I wonder if we'll be able to retain our wonderful travelling support (especially in such numbers and especially if we don't look like challenging for a play off place at least)

Expectations? Top half of the table certainly, but where in that range I simply cannot say. If pushed for an answer I would guess somewhere between 5th and 10th though. We saw last season that any team in the top half can beat any of the others on their day in this league so it’s something of a lottery really.

In my opinion players at this level can be very inconsistent in their performances, it is probably one of the reasons some of them are playing in the NL. Therefore, it’s a case of hoping for more consistently good displays than bad throughout the squad and for those good days to be better than the opposition. In addition to consistency, it’s having the work ethic and team spirit amongst the group to provide support for a player having an off day. If our coaching team can put those ingredients together we may well surpass my best guess above.

As for promotion, it’s a tough ask with only one automatic place and a protracted play off arrangement for those finishing between 4th and 7th. Unless comfortably in the automatic place, there is no certainty of making the step up even when 2nd in the table after completion of 46 fixtures.

I just hope we get the season off to a good start and then let’s see how we are shaping up after the first 10-12 matches.

In and around playoffs, I dont think we will be promoted, but so long as we compete and fight and maybe a little cup run thrown in and I'll be happy

I would expect us to win back our L2 satus.Anything less and I'd expect heads to roll.
After the last few years wouldn’t this approach be totally detrimental to the clear attempt being made at rebuilding?

I mean you might well be right and that might be the ultimatum, this is football etc etc. and I understand that if for example we have a repeat of the start of last season, that there’ll likely be panic and therefore a change. But I find statements in this thread like “promotion or else” a bit odd. Club has been a complete mess for a long time and its still early in the journey of turning that around. Who do we think would come in as replacements and be in a better position than the people we have now? Maybe I’m wrong and we’re a more attractive prospect than I realise but I don’t think so.

Personally think patience is key. I want to give this coaching team as much time as possible. Last season was stopping the rot, this season will be trying to challenge. However, as long as we improve on last season and don’t go backwards again I won’t be crying out for change.

Would like us to be in at least a play off place, but it is still dependent on the next additions to the current squad. I feel we need more strength in depth, as stated, at least 2 players for each position, and with the budget we allegedly have, and the scouting network at our disposal, this shouldn’t be a problem.
How well the new squad gels over the break is important, our management team will need to earn their money, we need to hit the ground running!

Everything really depends on uncle Ron's tomfoolery off the pitch.

If he's doing his usual not paying everyone from Pat in the ticket office to the HMRC then I'll be happy with us not going down/out of business.

If my some miracle he gets through the season without all of this then I'll rip your arm off for 7th place.

After the last few years 1.this approach be totally detrimental to the clear attempt being made at rebuilding?

I mean you might well be right and that might be the ultimatum, this is football etc etc. and I understand that if for example we have a repeat of the start of last season, that there’ll likely be panic and therefore a change. But I find statements in this thread like “promotion or else” a bit odd. 2.Club has been a complete mess for a long time and its still early in the journey of turning that around. Who do we think would come in as replacements and be in a better position than the people we have now? Maybe I’m wrong and we’re a more attractive prospect than I realise but I don’t think so.

3.I think patience is key. I want to give this coaching team as much time as possible. Last season was stopping the rot, this season will be trying to challenge. However, as long as we improve on last season and don’t go backwards again I won’t be crying out for change.
!.What is the point of rebuilding unless your eventual objective is promtoin?

2.Agreed.

3.Sorry but I'm not getting any younger (nor are the rest of us).I want to see us back where we belong ie in the league asap.Grimsby and B.Rovers have proved it's possible in one season.I'm prepared to give it two.

!.What is the point of rebuilding unless your eventual objective is promtoin?

2.Agreed.

3.Sorry but I'm not getting any younger (nor are the rest of us).I want to see us back where we belong ie in the league asap.Grimsby and B.Rovers have proved it's possible in one season.I'm prepared to give it two.
Point 1 well yes absolutely but the word eventual is an interesting choice there. If one and half seasons is all you’re willing to give it then fair enough.
I’m willing to give it longer because ripping out the current setup if we just miss out on the play-offs for example would feel like starting all over yet again. And to point 3 I’d argue those teams were in better condition off the field with Grimsby getting their issues sorted a bit earlier than we hopefully have.

I think you'd have to say anything outside the play-offs is a poor season. We may not have the budget of Wrexham and we all know who the bigger clubs are who will also be aiming high but with the squad we're building, the management we now have, and the fantastic support home and away, if we can't make the top 7 it would be very disapointing.

I think you'd have to say anything outside the play-offs is a poor season. We may not have the budget of Wrexham and we all know who the bigger clubs are who will also be aiming high but with the squad we're building, the management we now have, and the fantastic support home and away, if we can't make the top 7 it would be very disapointing.

I would agree, it would be disappointing but factoring in the way the club has been run for 5+ years, up until Stan and Tom came in, not overly surprising that it would take more than half a season to right all those wrongs.

I hope we can challenge but I certainly won't be taking it for granted.

Tangled up in blue:

What has the club done NOT to be in the NL?

Chesterfield make it a really busy weekend and today announce the signing of Darren Oldaker, on first of July, when his contract, which is currently being paid by his current club, Dorking, expires.

There is also a rumour from their fans that the Gyasi signing may have fallen through, but nothing to confirm that yet.

Point 1 well yes absolutely but the word eventual is an interesting choice there. If one and half seasons is all you’re willing to give it then fair enough.
I’m willing to give it longer because ripping out the current setup if we just miss out on the play-offs for example would feel like starting all over yet again. And to point 3 I’d argue those teams were in better condition off the field with Grimsby getting their issues sorted a bit earlier than we hopefully have.
That's why I've said we've had enough time to sort our issues IMO and I'm looking for promotion next season.There are external factors to0.Let's face it starting at FF with a NL team is going to look a bit poor.

Expectations for me…
1. Challenge in and around the top ten
2. Play exciting, attack lead football
3. Continue to look to add to our squad with talented up and coming players
4. Hold onto our management team no matter what and finally give this club a stable environment.

Promotion, or the chance to be promoted, would be a brilliant side effect of the above I believe.

Tangled up in blue:

What has the club done NOT to be in the NL?
You mean for most of its history ? Or just in the last few disastrous seasons?

Back