• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
After the last few years wouldn’t this approach be totally detrimental to the clear attempt being made at rebuilding?

I mean you might well be right and that might be the ultimatum, this is football etc etc. and I understand that if for example we have a repeat of the start of last season, that there’ll likely be panic and therefore a change. But I find statements in this thread like “promotion or else” a bit odd. Club has been a complete mess for a long time and its still early in the journey of turning that around. Who do we think would come in as replacements and be in a better position than the people we have now? Maybe I’m wrong and we’re a more attractive prospect than I realise but I don’t think so.

Personally think patience is key. I want to give this coaching team as much time as possible. Last season was stopping the rot, this season will be trying to challenge. However, as long as we improve on last season and don’t go backwards again I won’t be crying out for change.
It's too binary. Go up and they're a success. Don't go up, they've failed. The world doesn't work like that. Why bin off a management team if they are making steady progress and have shown enough to suggest they will ultimately succeed, even if we're done over in a penalty shoot out or miss out by a couple of points?

We finished 13th last season. If we are considering that anything but promotion is a failure next year, there are at least 11 other clubs whose fans will be even more unhappy.

The latter.
Think that particular history is too well known (and painful) to be discussed in any great detail.Personally,I blame the Chairman fo taking his eye off the ball and leading us to two succesive relegations into our current NL status,which was a first in SUFC's history.The second coming of PB was also a huge mistake.Mark Molesley also richly deserves his share of the blame for our relegation from L2 as does SC for the relegation from L1.The appointment of KB was also a huge mistake.While I'm aware that hindsight is a great thing in football (as elsewhere) I'd also stress that the Chairman's treating the IR as his personal piggy bank, which got us slapped with a transfer embargo in consecutive seasons didn't help either.

Tangled Up In Blue......Thank you for your answer which must have hurt you to write.
The best bet is to live for the moment.
What's done is done and cannot be changed.

Mistakes have to be learnt from in football (and of course in life).

Football (just like any sport) has to be run as a business.

The new season is just around the corner and I hope that things work out well.

It's too binary. Go up and they're a success. Don't go up, they've failed. The world doesn't work like that. Why bin off a management team if they are making steady progress and have shown enough to suggest they will ultimately succeed, even if we're done over in a penalty shoot out or miss out by a couple of points?

We finished 13th last season. If we are considering that anything but promotion is a failure next year, there are at least 11 other clubs whose fans will be even more unhappy.
Tangled Up In Blue......Thank you for your answer which must have hurt you to write.
The best bet is to live for the moment.
What's done is done and cannot be changed.

Mistakes have to be learnt from in football (and of course in life).

Football (just like any sport) has to be run as a business.

The new season is just around the corner and I hope that things work out well.
Isn't football a results orientated business?

Not sure how I feel about comments like this. Sure football involves winners and losers but to define our success on that basis doesn’t sit right with me given where we are coming from. Only 2 of the 24 teams starting the NL next season will go up. So are the other 22 failures?

If we don’t go up next year does that mean you will no longer fly over for your one game a season?

i don’t suppose they have to suffer anything as shocking as the NL in Spain.

If we don’t go up next year does that mean you will no longer fly over for your one game a season?

i don’t suppose they have to suffer anything as shocking as the NL in Spain.

Actually it''s more than one.:Smile: I made both the Chesterfield and Torquay home games last season FYI. (used to be three when we made it to the third round of the FA Cup).

Remember when we first moved to SC and I went to watch the local team play in one of Cataluña's regional leagues (IV IIRC).I was rather shocked to be charged for the privilege (since back in the day I used to play at something rather like that level myself).

FWIW,I wouldn't say the level in the NL is "shocking" just poor.However I was pleased to note a huge improvement in performance levels in the two games I was able to see.

In answer to your question, of course I will continue to support SUFC in whatever league we're in.That's what true supporters do.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about comments like this. Sure football involves winners and losers but to define our success on that basis doesn’t sit right with me given where we are coming from. Only 2 of the 24 teams starting the NL next season will go up. So are the other 22 failures?

Logically,if football is a business then the answer is yes.Although the answer would also appear to be influenced by the respective budgets/expectations of the clubs concerned.

Logically,if football is a business then the answer is yes.Although the answer would also appear to be influenced by the respective budgets/expectations of the clubs concerned.

Not sure about that. If football is a business then the club is a failure if it records a financial loss over a financial year. I suppose if the club makes a loss but gains promotion the businessman running it can say his club have succeded because of our potential next year, but really from a business point of view he has failed that year even if his investment bears fruit in the next year. And if a club is releagted but makes a profit then that's a business success. All down to the bottom line....... and short-termism and cash flow rules the day.

Not sure about that. If football is a business then the club is a failure if it records a financial loss over a financial year. I suppose if the club makes a loss but gains promotion the businessman running it can say his club have succeded because of our potential next year, but really from a business point of view he has failed that year even if his investment bears fruit in the next year. And if a club is releagted but makes a profit then that's a business success. All down to the bottom line....... and short-termism and cash flow rules the day.
Cash flow rules the day agreed, but short-termism is a bug not a feature, by your analysis Amazon was a failure for the vast majority of it's history due to it reinvesting all profits into expanding the business, prioritising investing into the future over nice looking profit figures in the short-term.

Anyone who knows a little about business knows that judging purely on the bottom line without looking at where the money has been invested is a flawed judgement.

And to any saying "if we don't go up sack the team" it sounds like you think promotion is a science that can be calculated down to the nth-degree, if only it was so and there was no such thing as luck. I'd also be very surprised if we had the second highest budget in the division, so expecting promotion is expecting over achievement, which is by definition unreasonable.

Citing the fact others have won the lottery is not a good reason to get angry at your mother for failing to win the EuroMillions last week.

It took five seasons to get out of League 2 despite having a team capable of doing so by season two. This despite there being three automatic promotion spots - albeit the Aldershot floodlight scandal playing a part in us falling short.

As it stands we have, relatively speaking of course, an inferior team and in a league with only one automatic spot.

We need to step up two levels: one to get us into the play-off spots - and given our form since Maher and co took charge we're nearly there - and then enough improvement to make us genuine contenders for automatic promotion. This would mean leapfrogging Chesterfield and Wrexham at the very least; to me they are are the two to beat. And of course we can't discount the likes of Solihull, Notts County, Halifax, even the Daggers etc. I also don't know how effectively Oldham and Scunny are rebuilding.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it will be very tough. I'm pretty sure we'll make the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll fall short of promotion. If it doesn't happen hopefully we'll be favourites going into season three.

It took five seasons to get out of League 2 despite having a team capable of doing so by season two. This despite there being three automatic promotion spots - albeit the Aldershot floodlight scandal playing a part in us falling short.

As it stands we have, relatively speaking of course, an inferior team and in a league with only one automatic spot.

We need to step up two levels: one to get us into the play-off spots - and given our form since Maher and co took charge we're nearly there - and then enough improvement to make us genuine contenders for automatic promotion. This would mean leapfrogging Chesterfield and Wrexham at the very least; to me they are are the two to beat. And of course we can't discount the likes of Solihull, Notts County, Halifax, even the Daggers etc. I also don't know how effectively Oldham and Scunny are rebuilding.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it will be very tough. I'm pretty sure we'll make the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll fall short of promotion. If it doesn't happen hopefully we'll be favourites going into season three.
Couldn’t agree more. Very sensible post.
Would love nothing more than to go back up so quickly but in reality it’s going to take time.

I was under the impression that SUFC had indeed made a (paper) loss in each of the 22 years that the Chairman has been in charge (so far).

Last edited:
Back