• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next season 2022-2023 expectations?

Where will will finish

• Champions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Play-off places

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Mid table

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Struggling

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Bart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It took five seasons to get out of League 2 despite having a team capable of doing so by season two. This despite there being three automatic promotion spots - albeit the Aldershot floodlight scandal playing a part in us falling short.

As it stands we have, relatively speaking of course, an inferior team and in a league with only one automatic spot.

We need to step up two levels: one to get us into the play-off spots - and given our form since Maher and co took charge we're nearly there - and then enough improvement to make us genuine contenders for automatic promotion. This would mean leapfrogging Chesterfield and Wrexham at the very least; to me they are are the two to beat. And of course we can't discount the likes of Solihull, Notts County, Halifax, even the Daggers etc. I also don't know how effectively Oldham and Scunny are rebuilding.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it will be very tough. I'm pretty sure we'll make the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll fall short of promotion. If it doesn't happen hopefully we'll be favourites going into season three.
I doubt whether we can leapfrog Chesterfield . They had a slight dip in form at the end of last season and are now strengthening at an alarming rate . Also excellent manager who delivered promotion first time round . I expect them to be flying high at the start of the season and this time maintain it right to the end . I think as you say its the play-offs for us .

It took five seasons to get out of League 2 despite having a team capable of doing so by season two. This despite there being three automatic promotion spots - albeit the Aldershot floodlight scandal playing a part in us falling short.

As it stands we have, relatively speaking of course, an inferior team and in a league with only one automatic spot.

We need to step up two levels: one to get us into the play-off spots - and given our form since Maher and co took charge we're nearly there - and then enough improvement to make us genuine contenders for automatic promotion. This would mean leapfrogging Chesterfield and Wrexham at the very least; to me they are are the two to beat. And of course we can't discount the likes of Solihull, Notts County, Halifax, even the Daggers etc. I also don't know how effectively Oldham and Scunny are rebuilding.

I'm not saying we can't do it but it will be very tough. I'm pretty sure we'll make the play-offs but my gut feeling is we'll fall short of promotion. If it doesn't happen hopefully we'll be favourites going into season three.

Yet Cambridge united managed it two seasons ago in their first season back in L2 after being promoted from the NL.They also managed to stay in L1 last season much to many people's suprise (including mine).

If we make no more new signings, we have zero chance of making the playoffs and will probably finish 12th or so. The 'sensible' and 'in the know' posters will assure us that signings are coming, but I believe the sensible approach with Southend United is to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen.

Really not sure what to expect from Halifax next season, which from our perspective is a positive, after their performance and finish last season.

Another one of their squad off to follow tunnel they have now built to Barrow, Tyrrell Warren.

Yet Cambridge united managed it two seasons ago in their first season back in L2 after being promoted from the NL.They also managed to stay in L1 last season much to many people's suprise (including mine).
I don't know for sure but my guess is that Cambridge were in better shape to go for promotion than we are at the moment.

I'm not saying promotion is impossible for us. I'm just basing my opinion on a combination of what I saw from both us and each opposition last season, the context of where we are as a club, and whether we can bridge enough of the gap in quality and consistency to genuinely fight for the title.

I'd be much more confident if there were three automatic promotion spots up for grabs, like there are in League 2, but there aren't so realistically we'll probably have to settle for a play-off spot, which is about where we are at the moment.

Chesterfield suffered injury problems to some of their best players in the latter part of last season, which arguably cost them promotion, including (Danny?) Rowe, who tore us apart at Roots Hall in a way not seen since Lee Trundle. They are favourites for the title, IMO, while we are still a work in progress.

If we make no more new signings, we have zero chance of making the playoffs and will probably finish 12th or so. The 'sensible' and 'in the know' posters will assure us that signings are coming, but I believe the sensible approach with Southend United is to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen.
We will sign players we just need to sort out our finances first

1.I don't know for sure but my guess is that Cambridge were in better shape to go for promotion than we are at the moment.

I'm not saying promotion is impossible for us. I'm just basing my opinion on a combination of what I saw from both us and each opposition last season, the context of where we are as a club, and whether we can bridge enough of the gap in quality and consistency to genuinely fight for the title.

I'd be much more confident if there were three automatic promotion spots up for grabs, like there are in League 2, but there aren't so realistically we'll probably have to settle for a play-off spot, which is about where we are at the moment.

Chesterfield suffered injury problems to some of their best players in the latter part of last season, which arguably cost them promotion, including (Danny?) Rowe, who tore us apart at Roots Hall in a way not seen since Lee Trundle. They are favourites for the title, IMO, while we are still a work in progress.
!.After 10 seasons or so in the NL I'm sure that's so but I don't want us to wait that long.

Just a reminder that KM & co have been in place since the end of last October.

As far as I'm concerned, the only possible excuse for us not achieving promotion this season -apart from possibly hard luck in the playoffs-would be if the budget is insufficient to get the players we clearly need.Unlikely when we've been told that KM will have the same budget that PB had last season.

I can see I’m not the only one here who is not going to be satisfied with several seasons of mid-table mediocrity. Truth is I have no particular interest in non-league football and never have. I’m someone who requires his football team to be one of the 92 (or 72 if you want to be pedantic). Hardly makes me a glory hunter.

I could accept Lady Luck not shining at crucial moments next season and promotion being missed by a whisker, but that’s a bare minimum for me. After over 50 years as a fan I’m not going to waste what's left for me and will reduce my support to alerts on my phone.

You could say I should see the bigger picture, a good structure in place with decent people on the football side; the new stadium. But whilst the people give me grounds for hope, don’t bother talking to me about the new ground until it’s finished. For now me and Victor Meldrew speak as one. I don’t belieeeve it!”

Need to financially survive the next few (3 ish) months yet, which could affect any potential signings in the short term. By the time we get to a more financially settled place we could be more or less utilising what we have or close to it, unless any uncovered cheap gems pop up.
Much as I dont like saying it, the traditional 'I hope no one gets injured' start to the season could happen. I think we all know how that goes....
Maybe we're due a non injury, lucky, successful start by the law of averages.

!.After 10 seasons or so in the NL I'm sure that's so but I don't want us to wait that long.

As far as I'm concerned, the only possible excuse for us not achieving promotion this season -apart from possibly hard luck in the playoffs-would be if the budget is insufficient to get the players we clearly need.Unlikely when we've been told that KM will have the same budget that PB had last season.
You think it’s likely that Ron delivers?😂

I think play-offs is a realistic goal. I hope we can reach them this season and if not next season.

I’d then hope we’d be successful in the play-offs but whilst not a lottery it is essentially a series of cup ties where form, luck and randomness plays a bigger part in determining outcomes than a complete league season where there is more chance for these things to even out.

I’d also suggest that injuries can be a big factor both in the normal season and in the play-offs. We’d need a bit of luck on the injury front. Injuries are inevitable but you can try and minimise them by not signing over the hill crocks who haven’t played a full season in years and then hope that when they don’t hit they don’t hit key players or the same position etc. Seasons turn on little things like it being your second best and not best forward going down with injury.

Think you might need to consider the alleged problem with unpaid wages for non playing staff. That may well affect the playing budget and consequently make life more difficult.

I wonder if any players who were tempted to join read about what is going on with unpaid minimum pay employees and back off.

Need to financially survive the next few (3 ish) months yet, which could affect any potential signings in the short term. By the time we get to a more financially settled place we could be more or less utilising what we have or close to it, unless any uncovered cheap gems pop up.
Much as I dont like saying it, the traditional 'I hope no one gets injured' start to the season could happen. I think we all know how that goes....
Will struggle to pay any signing-on or agent fees when they're due once incoming transfers are completed if there's no cash to pay them with. Maybe we can attempt to negotiate some mutually beneficial arrangements with players and agents to pay said fees in a couple of months' time when the cash reserves/cash flow situation improves.

Last edited:
I wonder if any players who were tempted to join read about what is going on with unpaid minimum pay employees and back off.
Most players know other players at the clubs they look at. They have a good comeraderie network. They dont need to look at what fans say, they just ask a player mate whos at or been at southend.

Reactions: RHB
Worrying, but not unexpected. Just demoralising, but how it’s been for some time and will continue to be.

I’ll back staying up then, and that’s only because I trust in the management team to get the best out of what we have.

Our fans, and staff, really do deserve so much better than this.

Back