• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next season - all too familiar, thanks Ron

You’d be surprised. Plenty on here thought we were the worst team in the EFL even when we were in League 1, and in pre-season many thought we’d only survive if there were 2 teams who were worse than us.

My heart told me we’d be ok. Then my head intervened and asked me to compare our current squad to our promotion winning team. That was that.
Yes I know there was a realistic voice but it always feels to me like the majority vote with their hearts. ‘Too good for this league’ attitude and ‘we’re a big club’. But it means nothing if we’re run the way we are.

Could you see us being relegated from the football league at the start of last season? I don’t think many did.

I thought we would definitely be fighting relegation but that we would finish 21st or 22nd. We might have done but for Fisher's last gasp goal in October. We would have been in 20th place with boosted confidence after those additional two points. All water under the bridge now.

It certainly isn't going to be easy next season but a lower mid table finish should be possible.

Could you see us being relegated from the football league at the start of last season? I don’t think many did.
Looking at old threads there were quite a few worried about it in preseason

Looking at old threads there were quite a few worried about it in preseason

Many thanks for posting this. It confirms why I largely sided with MM over the season. He was brought in by Ron too late, and his plans in attack were based on at least two of Humphrys, Hutch and Kelman, who were all gone within the first few weeks.

MM made mistakes, no doubt about that, but he managed to find a formula that made us difficult to beat, and hopefully this will provide PB with enough of a base to concentrate on the other end of the pitch. Obviously this depends on who stays and who goes but at least it's a promising start.

On the signings point, we signed lots of players very early in pre season under Powell and most of them turned out to be rubbish (and over paid) and this ultimately led to our downfall. Rushed signings. So I really don’t get your “main” point.

First off, I'm glad we're close to signing 2 players up early, credit where credits due. Secondly, your point is ridiculous, those signings being rubbish weren't down to the timing haha, they were down to poor recruitment. What a hilarious thing to say hahahaha.

Back