• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question 2022-23 National League - full team lineup and season predictions

6 teams down to 1 is very harsh though.
It's certainly a curious system with the eliminators. I get that they're trying to give as many clubs as possible something to play for in the final stages of the season, but teams finishing in fifth or sixth getting into the play offs in a league with only two promotion places seems a bit daft.

6 teams down to 1 is very harsh though.
On the flip side though, that last promotion place is possible through the 46 game season for all the teams down to 7th. If it wasn’t, the tail end of the season would fizzle out at the top for all but a couple of teams. It’s a system that brings huge highs and equally huge lows, but as a spectacle for the competition and in terms of keeping the regular season interesting it’s still the best method going.

It's great that the likes of Maidstone and hopefully Ebsfleet are coming up but it's going to be hard to get tickets.

Maidstone only holds around 4500 and I'm sure we will only get about 1000 tickets there.

The away points scheme hasn't exactly worked well.

You get approximately 700 tickets at Maidstone, for an area that comfortably houses 550 at best. Absolute death trap.

Wrexham Vs Grimsby for the right to play at West Ham stadium ? in Final against Solihull Vs Halifax or Chesterfield. I bet Wrexham must be delighted!

As for Notts, their manager made wrong substitute in normal time, playing defensive in last 15 minutes by taking their attackers off, who caused Grimsby problems and pinned them back. It’s seem Zak & others sub coming on has weakened Notts as an attacking force - it’s shown that he should play every games for them as run of matches was vital to his development. I reckon Zak would have bloomed if he was with us, but Notts is nearer to his home, but an good experience for him but Notts move would have disappointed him personally as he is too good to be on the bench.

So… Halifax to go through tonight?

Who will win overall?

Wrexham favourites but can Solihull beat them?

So… Halifax to go through tonight?

Who will win overall?

Wrexham favourites but can Solihull beat them?
Wrexham the obvious favourites and to be honest I'd be glad to see the back of them and their money bags. But Solihull and Halifax have had equally impressive seasons, if not more so when taking the relative budgets into consideration. So you cannot discount either. Grimsby have a shot in the arm after last nights drama, but you’d fancy Wrexham on their own patch. Chesterfield look shot to pieces.

I’d plump for a Wrexham v Solihull final, with Wrexham edging it. But it's football, nothing is ever guaranteed. Especially with the play-offs, with so many instances of the lowest ranked side gaining promotion.

Last edited:
I hadn't really given this league any thought regarding the business end of the season. Now I've seen it all in action the hoops play-off teams have to go through to reach a final is nothing short of disgusting. Why the NL think that is entertainment and good for the Clubs is beyond me.

Note to Kev, Dazza and Benno - Chaps, please can we win the NL next season outright and avoid the bollox that is the play-offs, we are far too good to suffer those agonies.

Grim fans may end up with having gone (not too far) to Notts and then a bit further to Wreckham AND then off to WetSpam ground for final. That reads very expensive to me.And Grim is fairly mid placed geographically.

I hadn't really given this league any thought regarding the business end of the season. Now I've seen it all in action the hoops play-off teams have to go through to reach a final is nothing short of disgusting. Why the NL think that is entertainment and good for the Clubs is beyond me.

Note to Kev, Dazza and Benno - Chaps, please can we win the NL next season outright and avoid the bollox that is the play-offs, we are far too good to suffer those agonies.
Surely it could only be improved with 3 or 4 teams being promoted, or no play offs top 2 promoted?
So 2nd and 3rd placed teams get to play the semi at home against possible 6th or 7th placed teams reach a final ! Great entertainment, but agreed not what we want to go through next season, unless we finish 7th then go up beating 2nd place team! Deep Joy ?

Surely it could only be improved with 3 or 4 teams being promoted, or no play offs top 2 promoted?
So 2nd and 3rd placed teams get to play the semi at home against possible 6th or 7th placed teams reach a final ! Great entertainment, but agreed not what we want to go through next season, unless we finish 7th then go up beating 2nd place team! Deep Joy ?
There has been acres of talk about the National League really being the fifth division, or FL3, to us plebs. If that were to be a sensible way forward, then why not mimic the promotion from FL2 to FL1. Top 3 go up automatically and the rest fight it out for the fourth place. Too easy I guess.

Back