• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PB made a point of emphasising how important it would be to get players in early and according to your points well made he was certainly making the effort to do so, although some of our better marks came along a bit later in the day. He clearly indicated he would not be encumbered by the play offs last year and extolled the virtues of getting players in early as do practically every Manager I have heard speak on the matter.
Incidentally for another perspective Sheffield United, Bradford and Bolton were among the quickest off the mark. They actually belted along to sign 31 players between them from June to July and where have they ended up?
So its a bit like patterns on the stock exchange ( the first quarter Housebuilders play ) In other words it is easy to say it didnt happen for this particular 4 years, whilst ignoring the pattern of the other 31 years? So a little circumspection is required

Our player budget was 13th in L1 last season. The season we got promoted it was 7th in L2. Sturrocks budget was 9th in L2.

Teams like Sheffield United have 4 times the player budget than us. Our first 3 targets last summer signed for more money for other teams. If we sign some quality it will always come with a certain amount of risk because we won't be signing any ones player of the season. Not accusing you but the season only ended 3 days and already people are talking as though we are Sheffield or Bolton with the sort of names being mentioned on here.

Again before we start demanding the automatics next season why don't we see if Anton, Tommo, Lenny, Atkinson, Coker and more importantly PB are still here.

Id like to see us get a proven goal scorer like Ricky Miller from Dover.
Wonder if Nicky Ajose might be Browns choice

Dervite was brilliant when he was here but has been bombed out by Bolton, may be a bit of a risk if we need someone to cover Ferdinand for example. No point signing him to end up injured himself. Also been linked with a move back to Spain or France.
I think since he came back recently from a loan spell Dervite has played quite a few games for Bolton. This is from a Bolton website with match ratings for Sunday's game -
Dorian Dervite - 9 He had one of his best games in a Wanderers shirt yesterday. He put in a sumptuous cross for the opening goal, had an amazing mazy drive from the back that deserved a goal and defended sternly. Out of contract: Some will ask if he can cut it a level above quite justifiably. If this is to be his last Wanderers game, he's ended on a high note.

Incidentally for another perspective Sheffield United, Bradford and Bolton were among the quickest off the mark. They actually belted along to sign 31 players between them from June to July and where have they ended up?

I'm not convinced on getting in early, in truth.

As 'Rigsby' says, it's easier for clubs with money to spend it.

For us, it's a case of ONLY spending it on the right players, which I think we have done really well in the last couple of years.

Don't forget, for every success story, there's plenty of clubs wasting money on average to poor players, who don't fit in. Michael Brown's post-match interview on Sunday, alludes to this and is one example of many in League One this season.

It seems I am the only person who would consider keeping on Hines and seeing how he gets on. :smile:

I also wonder about Ajose. Despite our supposed "strength" in attack (Cox, Ranger, MAF and Robinson) there were certain games when we really didn't look like we would score. So Ajose may offer something different (and as a replacement for Mooney in the budget).

It seems I am the only person who would consider keeping on Hines and seeing how he gets on. :smile:

I also wonder about Ajose. Despite our supposed "strength" in attack (Cox, Ranger, MAF and Robinson) there were certain games when we really didn't look like we would score. So Ajose may offer something different (and as a replacement for Mooney in the budget).

I think our strike force is fine, we need more quallity getting the ball to them and contributing goals themselves

Liam Sercombe or Matthew Lund would fill that creative midfield role when Wordy's unavailable.
Lund looked a decent player both times I saw him this season. He is based up north and originally from Manchester so unlikely that he would consider moving down south?

Last edited:
I think our strike force is fine, we need more quallity getting the ball to them and contributing goals themselves

Agree totally with this. At times we've lack creativity and actually our goal return from midfield isn't great. Woody hit double figures and i think Macca ended with 7, but even Lenny player of the season and goal of the season didn't get many for someone of his ability. If you look at the games that cost us towards the end of the season, Charlton, Mk and Shrewsbury our attacking play was woeful and ultimately we paid the price

Don't underestimate the influence Ferdinand had on the season. Frankly if he is on the highest wages I'd offer him another contract. The squad is good but clearly not good enough though for my money if Fortune had been playing the last six games I think we'd have made the play offs. No forward line worries but I think what we need is more options with strength, width and more pedigree in the middle of the park. Frankly most of those out of contract could go except I'd reward Timlin with a renewal. We need proven winners though. Choking at the last lap of the season supports this.

I believe if we can secure all our top players then all we would require would be 4 more quality players ,but this could change there are doubts amongst you and rightly so ,that we can keep both Coker and Leonard and also whether Ferdinand will play again for us.All would need replacing should they leave, but as a positive SUFC has become i believe more attractive to players and the agents. They can see that over the past 4 seasons we have progressed also a positive factor is that the new stadium is not a myth anymore.We are a club that is now pushing not just for playoffs but promotion, therefore there resumes would look so much better if it had a promotion on it rather that a relegation.I think PB is going to have a very productive off season and im certainly looking forward to next season.At this point i would look at players like Dervite, Ince,another striker and a right sided player,but things can change as ive stated.

I believe if we can secure all our top players then all we would require would be 4 more quality players ,but this could change there are doubts amongst you and rightly so ,that we can keep both Coker and Leonard and also whether Ferdinand will play again for us.All would need replacing should they leave, but as a positive SUFC has become i believe more attractive to players and the agents. They can see that over the past 4 seasons we have progressed also a positive factor is that the new stadium is not a myth anymore.We are a club that is now pushing not just for playoffs but promotion, therefore there resumes would look so much better if it had a promotion on it rather that a relegation.I think PB is going to have a very productive off season and im certainly looking forward to next season.At this point i would look at players like Dervite, Ince,another striker and a right sided player,but things can change as ive stated.

Until a spade goes in the ground on Fossett's Farm I'm still going to be sceptical tbh. We've been told progress has been made so many times now. Even news going up on the official website hasn't totally convinced me this is going to happen yet.

Agree on all your points about our key players though. I have a funny feeling we may lose a couple of those mentioned. We always lose (at least) one of our best players in the summer. Last year it was Bentley and Payne. The year before we got promoted and we still lost Barry Corr. I don't know who it will be this year but if a Championship side came in for Lenny then you couldn't blame him for moving on as there's no guarantees we'll be challenging next season and he'd no doubt get a payrise.

With all this said though, if any of this happens we'll be OK, we always rebuild and go again. Things will just be a bit different thats all.

The fact that we've progressed every season under Brown is a good sign for attracting and keeping players. I don't see why there should be wholesale changes, we came very close, and if it wasn't for the poor start when players were catching up on fitness, we would've finished in the play offs. The team spirit seems to be excellent and the players seem to have a close bond. I think Timlin, Atkinson and Thompson will sign up and probably White as well. Anton may fancy another crack at the championship if there is interest but he may also feel he owes Brown for giving him a chance, making him captain and in many ways revitalising his career.
The areas that need improvement are a centre back to provide some competition (and maybe someone who can chip in with a few goals), another wide option and maybe another striker. The biggest challenge will be getting in shape both mentally and physically to play 40 odd games, because he will be in double figures for goals if we can.

We'll not get anywhere with the current midfield IMO. Lenny and Wordy need cover, competition and quality players in the midfield mix. Timlin and Atkinson do not cut it at this level for me, we have been found wanting in this area a number of times.

I agree that we need another "first name on the teamsheet" centre half as well.

Assuming nobody leaves, we need another CB to be 3rd choice with Matzuka or whatever his name is, stepping up to play the odd game as 4th choice when needed.

Cover in Centre Mid. Lenny and Woody are first choice, but I dont think Timlin and Atkinson are good enough to cover long term. Maybe Bridge could step up? I think this is the least important we need to strenghen?

I would also be looking for another wide option, as I dont think McGlashan has been good enough, and Macca is injury prone.

Up front we are fine, with Cox, Ranger, Robinson and MAF. They all bring something different.

To be honest, I think two players (assuming nobody leaves), and Bridge and Smith being a year older and better, Ranger getting a full pre-season, we will be seriously pushing for the top two next season.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cham...elerposition_id/alle/altersklasse/alle/plus/1

List of Championship players coming to the end of their contracts.
Which could we realistically go for?

Some interesting names there, and most of them are either coming to the end of their careers, or will demand too higher salaries. Would prefer the club to look at young Lge 2 up and coming players'.

Although, according to that list Christian Walton is out of contract very soon? Wages?

Last edited:
If there are players out there who are better than we have , regardless of the position, who are available I would expect PB to at least be making a tentative enquiry as to their requirements.

Depth in the squad is going to be hard to get, particularly if we are talking about decent quality cover , who may only get a handful of games.
definite upgrades on RB and the Wide midfield (Atkinson) role are required,
The back up at CM, CB and a 5th striker could well come from loan signings

I an not expecting many permanent signings .

Assuming nobody leaves, we need another CB to be 3rd choice with Matzuka or whatever his name is, stepping up to play the odd game as 4th choice when needed.

Cover in Centre Mid. Lenny and Woody are first choice, but I dont think Timlin and Atkinson are good enough to cover long term. Maybe Bridge could step up? I think this is the least important we need to strenghen?

I would also be looking for another wide option, as I dont think McGlashan has been good enough, and Macca is injury prone.

Up front we are fine, with Cox, Ranger, Robinson and MAF. They all bring something different.

To be honest, I think two players (assuming nobody leaves), and Bridge and Smith being a year older and better, Ranger getting a full pre-season, we will be seriously pushing for the top two next season.
Don't think one more CB will be enough, Ferdinand has struggled with injuries and if Thompson or the new CB picks up an injury or suspension we'll be stuck with a completely untried youth team player or someone out of position at centre half, that certainly doesn't sound like the squad depth required to push for the top two. I think we need a minimum of 4 reliable centre backs in the squad to be able to compete now that you can't sign players on loan outside of transfer windows.

We could do with another striker as well, Ranger has spent more time injured than fit, MAF will be 36 when the season starts so might struggle to keep up fitness and performance levels as the season progresses and Theo hasn't exactly been impressive since signing (admittedly he hasn't had much opportunity to impress other than cameos off the bench)

Back