• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where should we strengthen?

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
The play-off push looks increasingly more like a distant dream, and our inconsistency has cost us.

So, where do we need to strengthen most?

Obviously it will depend on departures, but we can assume that Dan will be off and most of the others who are still at the club will be staying.

I don't think White or O'Neil are good enough for this division for differing reasons, we seriously need a play maker / chance creator in midfield and a striker to put said chances away.

I think we need two centre backs and will probably need a manager, coach and goal keeper too tbh.

I'd say the defence needs an overhaul, we're conceding way too many goals at present, especially for a 'defence first' manager like Brown. O'Neill just isn't good enough defensively and needs to go, possibly White too. Coker is good enough though, and I'd like to keep Barrett and Thompson as well, though I don't rate them as a partnership, we need someone with more presence in the air.

Midfield needs trimming, we've far too many wide men, none of whom are really performing. Up front I'd like to keep Barnett, he's been inconsistent but definitely has more about him than Mooney. If we can get rid then Mooney and Hunt should go, Hunt has been really poor since his injury, like Dougie Freedman mark 2.

Assuming Bentley's a goner in an ideal world I'd definitely keep the following:

Smith
Thompson
Barrett
Coker
Deegan
Leonard
Wordsworth
Payne
Barnett

I'd like to keep hold of Worrall but assume he'll go back up north.

I'm undecided on:

White
Timlin
Atkinson
Hurst
Weston
McLaughlin

Definitely should go:

O'Neill
Mooney
Hunt
Loza

I'd say we've got a fair few players who are playing for their futures at this level, I hope this will spark an improvement in form.

The play-off push looks increasingly more like a distant dream, and our inconsistency has cost us.

So, where do we need to strengthen most?

Obviously it will depend on departures, but we can assume that Dan will be off and most of the others who are still at the club will be staying.
stability. .......

Well for starters everybody needs to get behind the manager and the team if winning games or not, it's always the same when we lose one or two games as everyone needs to find a scapegoat don't they:unsure: it's been a good season and we have more than managed to stay up, yeah we need to strengthen for next season and three or four players just ain't good enough for this division, let's just back the manager and players for the last few games and see where it takes us, it's not all done and over yet, let's get them points off teams and upset a few teams along the way:smile:

I'd say we've got a fair few players who are playing for their futures at this level, I hope this will spark an improvement in form.

If players can only be motivated to play to their maximum potential at contract renewal time, I wouldn't want them anyway.

Second the new manager comment - thanks to Phil for getting us (stumbling) across the line last season, but too many self-important comments/PAs, courting of the Bolton job and bizarre personnel management for me - I would have loved Justin Edinburgh pre-Gills appointment, but he is destined for bigger things, a la Gary Rowett. I'd give Danny Cowley a chance.

I think if we are seriously looking to go up next season, we will have to make quite a few changes in personnel as after a good start, the side have faded and I think other teams have somewhat worked us out.

On the basis that Bentley leaves, I would want a squad along these lines:

Goalkeeper

Smith
New goalkeeper

Defenders

White
Barrett
Thompson
Coker
2/3 new defenders

Midfielders

Worrall
Hurst
Leonard
Deegan
Wordsworth
Payne
1/2 new midfielders

Forwards

Mooney
Barnett
2 x new strikers

I have a feeling our squad could look very different next season. Bentley almost certainly leaving, Payne could be too, Bolger probably although if Brown leaves he may still have a future, numerous others out of contract.

I'd say the defence needs an overhaul, we're conceding way too many goals at present, especially for a 'defence first' manager like Brown. O'Neill just isn't good enough defensively and needs to go, possibly White too. Coker is good enough though, and I'd like to keep Barrett and Thompson as well, though I don't rate them as a partnership, we need someone with more presence in the air.

Midfield needs trimming, we've far too many wide men, none of whom are really performing. Up front I'd like to keep Barnett, he's been inconsistent but definitely has more about him than Mooney. If we can get rid then Mooney and Hunt should go, Hunt has been really poor since his injury, like Dougie Freedman mark 2.

Assuming Bentley's a goner in an ideal world I'd definitely keep the following:

Smith
Thompson
Barrett
Coker
Deegan
Leonard
Wordsworth
Payne
Barnett

I'd like to keep hold of Worrall but assume he'll go back up north.

I'm undecided on:

White
Timlin
Atkinson
Hurst
Weston
McLaughlin

Definitely should go:

O'Neill
Mooney
Hunt
Loza

Id keep both Timlin and McLaughlin. Our midfield is all the better with Timlin in it, especially paired with Leonard. Clearly Timlin and PB have had a falling out and Timlin between injuries has not had a great season, but he is a very good player, much better than Deegan. McLaughlin is a quality player, but gas had a season riddled by injury, het him fit and he will do fine. Not sure why PB isn't giving him the chance at present

I think if we are seriously looking to go up next season, we will have to make quite a few changes in personnel as after a good start, the side have faded and I think other teams have somewhat worked us out.

On the basis that Bentley leaves, I would want a squad along these lines:

Goalkeeper

Smith
New goalkeeper

Defenders

White
Barrett
Thompson
Coker
2/3 new defenders

Midfielders

Worrall
Hurst
Leonard
Deegan
Wordsworth
Payne
1/2 new midfielders

Forwards

Mooney
Barnett
2 x new strikers

Mooney, Hurst, Deegan all not good enough for league 1, would also question whether White is based on this season

Well we certainly need a team that can get their best performances out consistently. We have talent in the side but it is shown far too seldomly.
Hunt and Mooney, rated them both, but between injuries, poor form and lack of pace, their ability does not reflect the clubs ambition.
Barrett, great club man but far, far too slow and coupled with his preferring to play like a wrestler rather than a footballer, I feel his playing days for us are up. A move into coaching OK but not playing.
Hurst, despite recent improvement, is a shadow of the player we know he was. Time to move on.
Worrall, great guy and good ability, but he needs to find a fresh challenge, probably up north.
Timlin, well, not a patch on his exploits of last season and one that for me has passed his peak. Lg 2 would give him another season.
White is a steady, unexceptional player and like Timlin I think lg 2 beckons at best. Effort always, useful contribution lacking.
Deegan, one I have championed, has failed to deliver and I see no future for him with us.

Positives;

Coker can do a job. Needs to cut out the compulsory errors but one to keep.
Bentley has been exposed by a poor defensive side and most keepers would have conceded more. Still a prospect.
Thommo is a talent that will progress with more experience. He has the tools.
Bolger is a potential stalwart. Needs to show the improvement his skills suggest he has.
Payne is a little diamond/dynamo. Good future in the game assured if he keeps working at it.
Barnett, jury is not out. Something amiss for me. Has ability, lacks service, but needs to show more consistently. Could be one to shine with a preseason behind him.

All in all a successful campaign by staying up and consolidating but one that could have offered more. To compete and be ambitious we need a very big change of personnel.
As for the manager, not much to say, he still clearly lacks any nous with setting up the strike force. A factor that has cost us way too many points. If he stays, fine, but only if he gets in a striker coach. If not then a parting of the ways will not be an upset.

Dear me, I left out McLaughlin and Lenny.
I think McLaughlin has a future if he can stay fit and Lenny is a shoe-in if he can recover from the injury without losing any aspect of his game. Two for the keeping column.

Last edited:
I would keep if they are not sold

Bents
Cokes
Lenny
Payne
Adam
Barrett
Macca

The rest not for me I'm afraid.

New gaffer with attack the main criteria....after all we only require 17 wins to stay up...win 17 lose 31 and stay up,but you get my point,I hope?

I would keep if they are not sold

Bents
Cokes
Lenny
Payne
Adam
Barrett
Macca

The rest not for me I'm afraid.

New gaffer with attack the main criteria....after all we only require 17 wins to stay up...win 17 lose 31 and stay up,but you get my point,I hope?

Did you mean Barnet mrsb, or does Barrett count as two?

Did you mean Barnet mrsb, or does Barrett count as two?

Good spot RHB,I did of course mean Barnett,oh and give young Bridge a new deal.

Williams has missed the boat,sad to say,he needs league games in the basement division.

Good spot RHB,I did of course mean Barnett,oh and give young Bridge a new deal.

Williams has missed the boat,sad to say,he needs league games in the basement division.

Wash your mouth out, he's my hero and my pick of the bunch for next season.

Oh I forgot..STOP SIGNING OLD VETERANS !

The clever money know's it's a tax issue,but please cease stop never again.

Back