• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next Season???

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
Here is something to conjour with.

Fixtures for season 2020/21 should have been released this week. By now we'd have been pouring over them, planning away days and looking forward to knowing who we lose to in the first round of the League Cup. OF course yesterday we saw some play off games in L2, with L2 to follow and a fifth of the Championship still to be played.

The bottom line is that last season will end just when next season should start. Given there needs to be a month of "close season" to allow for the adminstrative side of the business to be handed (this includes things such as preparing fixture lists, sale of season tickets, contract arrangements) and for sides like us, some kind of pre-season. This pretty much takes us to mid September before we start.

By that time, of course, we'd have played 2 rounds of the League Cup (ok, not us), had seven weekend match days and probably 2 midweeks and would have had some involvement in the Checkatrade.

Given the re-arranged Euro 2021 means the season must finish on time at the end May, it begs the question how on earth we are going to fit all those games into a season that will be at least seven weeks shorter than before and compounded by the financial impact of the current situation meaning most clubs wont have the luxury of carrying large squads.

I can see us playing a 23 game season, with a split at that point with the top 12 playing for promotion and the bottom 12 playing to avoid relegation. This of course has a negative impact on ticket sales.

Anyone else got any ideas????

How about 33 game season where we play (e.g.) H and A against a top team, H v, Second, H&A Third, A v. 4th. It'd take some puzzling out for sure, but it'd mean a fair spread of fixtures.

How about a North/South Split for Div 2. Home and away, top team in both halves automatically promoted and the remaining promotion places determined by mixed play offs. That can be 2nd South vs 3rd North and 2nd North vs 3rd South. It could possibly be made with four teams north and South.
Relegation would be the bottom team in both divisions.

FWIW I think the EFL’s plan is to play the normal 46 games next season beginning 12th Sept. I have no faith that the EFL are capable of delivering one thing or the other but that I believe is the current plan.

To me it all hinges on agreeing the wage cap and then some sort of tapering support package to help clubs as the crowds build back to something approaching normal.

I do think there will be some changes in the ground when we go back anyway - might actually mean they completely stop people standing at the back of the West, which will be a relief for many.

FWIW I think the EFL’s plan is to play the normal 46 games next season beginning 12th Sept. I have no faith that the EFL are capable of delivering one thing or the other but that I believe is the current plan.

To me it all hinges on agreeing the wage cap and then some sort of tapering support package to help clubs as the crowds build back to something approaching normal.

Doesn’t next season whenever that me be have to be finished by May for the Euros?

Let's just face it football grounds and fans were not made for this virus.How do you social distance properly at turnstiles, toilets ,stands ,bars etc.You either cut the capacity to a third or it just doesn't work.Then you have the issue maybe of face masks as singing or shouting is not advised due to body fluids flying everywhere.Maybe you could separate the more at risk to one stand or ban away support......all leads to a depressing picture of next season!

When the totally useless EFL soon let a dozen or so more clubs go under like they did with Bury , there will be far less fixture congestion. So the 72 clubs will become around 60 and hardest hit will be league 2, so i would still bet that we will have a few empty Saturdays in the season ahead.

It wouldnt surprise me if we see 3 smaller lower leagues instead of 2 ( we would be in the middle of these) just for this coming season so that maybe october to may is comfortable, then the following season revert back to leagues 1 & 2.

There'll be 46 games next season. Teams will need the money. It'll finish end of May.
This I think- even by EFL standards to make a big point about how important gate money is to clubs at L1 and L2 level, and then to reduce the number of games, would be a new low point.

L1 North and L1 South would make sense as would maintain the number of games and increase attendances.

However, the EFL decision making process are completely broken and any such decision would take many months and This would need to be decided in the next very few weeks..

So from 11th July in France supporters can attend Football matches in France with up to a maximum 5,000 people- that’s 2 months before the EFL season here is due to start.

Back