• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
I realise its pretty early to speculate as we are still an outside chance of featuring in the playoffs, but i for one dont believe we will dropping 5 points out of 6 at home to two lower teams ,says to me that the squad have been over performing,anyway my question is what do you people believe we will need next season to become a major force in this division, i believe PB will still be at the helm so with theunderstanding that he is ,who apart from Bntley will depart and what do we need to be a force.Im always interested in hearing peoples views on this as has much as i wish i could see my team play week in week out its impossible from where i live.

I think Dan will go, and probably Coker too. Hunt and Hurst should be off. We need to sign Barnett and keep Jack Payne. We also need Adam Barrett to give us one more season. I'm not sure about Mooney, he flatters to deceive. But I'm sure that Barnett will do well if he gets the service.

Our real issue is creative attacking midfielders to support Lennie, and another winger (but Brown will have to use him, not sit him on the bench as he does with Loza).

Every football team on earth....apart from Barcelona. ..want goals, we lack em at times. Need to go back to the drawing board in the wide midfielder department. A consistent Anthony WordsWorth.

A different manager next season would help if we want to see better football consistently.
Brown managed to scrape a promotion from Pigotts sublime goal, but the strength of the squad and the foundations were set by Sturrock.
An analogy with the premier league suggests we are a Tony Pulis side, often awful to watch, a dearth of goals, win the odd game won but rarely with style.
Brown, a few games into his reign, at Wembley with Straker and Mohsni in strange positions, showed that he struggles to set a side up to win games and he appears incapable of knowing his best team.
So, for me, a new manager is what is needed.

I didn't think PB picked the side for the Leyland Auto Daf Johnstone Trophy Final, though.

I didn't think PB picked the side for the Leyland Auto Daf Johnstone Trophy Final, though.

Whoever did must have told the players,

"right lads we are against Crewe "Real Madrid" Alex,let then have the ball and allow them to do triangles and give and goes,applaud their movement and be dazzled by their play,just pray boys we can keep them out and nick one at the other end"

A new goal keeper if T Smith is not to be thrown in the deepend.

More competition at the back and please get a centre back with some pace, can see some offers for Coker and Thompson.

Midfield we have to many players who do the same role, we need a creative midfielder and then replace all those likely to leave, Hurst, Worrel and Timlin.

Up front would like to keep Barnett if possible and also get in somebody with a bit of pace to stretch the opposition. Can't see Hunt and Mooney being here unless they have been given long contracts.

I'm grateful to brown but his style of football is set out not to lose and keep clean sheets.

I still think that Sean o driscoll would make an excellent appointment and would get the team attacking in numbers and playing on the deck football.

We will undoubtedly be losing Bentley. And possibly Payne and coker if the right opportunity comes their way. We will possibly sign barnet if we pay for him.

I think

Hurst mooney deegan worral and maybe two or three others can all be easily replaced if we are serious about challenging for a top 6 spot.

It's going to be a hard rebuild and will need investment.

I would say that a good few of the current squad are punching above their weight. To have a crack at the top of the league you have to have players capable of playing at the division above.

We currently don't have many players of championship quality

I'm grateful to brown but his style of football is set out not to lose and keep clean sheets.

I still think that Sean o driscoll would make an excellent appointment and would get the team attacking in numbers and playing on the deck football.

We will undoubtedly be losing Bentley. And possibly Payne and coker if the right opportunity comes their way. We will possibly sign barnet if we pay for him.

I think

Hurst mooney deegan worral and maybe two or three others can all be easily replaced if we are serious about challenging for a top 6 spot.

It's going to be a hard rebuild and will need investment.

I would say that a good few of the current squad are punching above their weight. To have a crack at the top of the league you have to have players capable of playing at the division above.

We currently don't have many players of championship quality

Isn't Barnett out of contract in the summer with Shrews?

Also if Bentley won't sign and is off and then as soon as the play offs are out of reach we should blood some fringe players and definately Ted Smith should be given games to prove his worth as a potential number 1.

A different manager next season would help if we want to see better football consistently.
Brown managed to scrape a promotion from Pigotts sublime goal, but the strength of the squad and the foundations were set by Sturrock.
An analogy with the premier league suggests we are a Tony Pulis side, often awful to watch, a dearth of goals, win the odd game won but rarely with style.
Brown, a few games into his reign, at Wembley with Straker and Mohsni in strange positions, showed that he struggles to set a side up to win games and he appears incapable of knowing his best team.
So, for me, a new manager is what is needed.

I think the conclusion of that adds weight to Brown was a great choice to replace Sturrock. Big wages spent by Sturrock and no promotion. PB trims it down and gains promotion. There is no way we have played anywhere near as poor as the week Sturrock managed to string this set of results against at the time poor league 2 sides

With the lack of goal scoring chances produced for him here, do you really think he would sign for us?

I think he likes it here he just needs service.

We need wingers to play and players to commit to going forward

No matter what to move on or up we need to strengthen and it may take a few years. Assuming Bentley goes I would hope we could use some of £1m plus to add more quality across the park. I could see young Ted in Goal as Bentley managed it at a young age, but we would need another keeper, hopefully experienced and able to come for the ball. Barratt may have one more season in him , but transition planning needs to take place, so we need an additional very decent centre back. Thompson and Bolger still developing. As others have said maybe Thompson could be poached.
Coker may go and I would retain White for his leadership, solidity and experience as Club captain. O' Neill could be retained and come on nicely, indicates though another decent full back required
I remain a little underwhelmed by the loan signings Loza, Mc Queen and Kamara, and am torn whether to keep any at this early stage, although believe there are better prospects out there. remembering that some sides at the top with over 20 goals scored by just 2 players per team have achieved this mainly through loan signings! Are the above
3 better than Bridge for example. I sometimes think Phil is a little slow in giving our own youngsters the opportunity, so this is an area I would like to see developed more for the future.
On this years performances and looking ahead I would say goodbye to Mooney, Hunt , Wordsworth, Hurst, Weston, and possibly Timlin. Leonard may be sought after as well? If all the above large turn out happened it would free up 10 decent lots of wages, but risk a potentially difficult further year of transition

Also if Bentley won't sign and is off and then as soon as the play offs are out of reach we should blood some fringe players and definately Ted Smith should be given games to prove his worth as a potential number 1.

Bentley will not sign a new deal, I think he's already made that one clear.

What if we get promoted?

Ambitious, but I still don't think he will stay. I think he has people advising him against staying with us regardless of in the championship or league one.

Ambitious, but I still don't think he will stay. I think he has people advising him against staying with us regardless of in the championship or league one.

Depends who comes in for him surely? He's not showered himself in glory of late.

Depends who comes in for him surely? He's not showered himself in glory of late.

But at the end of the season he will be contract free. Will only cost an interested club a tribunal fee which will be far less than what he would've cost them anyway. So for that reason he will attract interest from more clubs and even may get himself a Prem move. Everton will be looking for a keeper with Howard looking to be off to the MLS, may take a punt?

Back