• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BenA

As it seems like the players have decided it's now the end of the season, I think we should discuss next season a bit.

What are your predictions? To be honest, unless we make a handful of class signings, I can't see us doing too well - especially with 'big' teams coming up into league 1.

My prediction is 16th. And that would be good.

(probably gonna get some stick now for starting this thread too early :smile:)

Will be a tough old slog without the momentum of promotion and some big clubs coming into the league. Too early to make predictions though, depends what happens over the summer.

I genuinely worry for next season. We're about to lose some really good players and while we have a few signed up, we could look a very different team next season, with a different manager, and as Jai says we won't have the momentum to carry us forward.

I genuinely worry for next season. We're about to lose some really good players and while we have a few signed up, we could look a very different team next season, with a different manager, and as Jai says we won't have the momentum to carry us forward.

Then again it could be a good opportunity for Phil or whoever to have the budget to make changes. It will be a difficult job though. Obviously providing Ron allows this without tightening the purse strings.

Much may also depend on any fees we get for departing players and how much of that Uncle Ron allows to be ploughed back into the purchase of better players.
I am encouraged by the fact that gillinghams progress and success was built on selling a goalkeeper for over a million and strengthening with the money, plus the introduction of at least a couple of good home grown youngsters. .?Bridge.
my concern is that Phil and Co have a significantly poor record at bringing better and more successful players to contribute to the club. Think Barnard, Weston, Coulthirst,Cassidy, Mooney, Loza, Kamara, Hunt, Pigott, Binnon Williams, Ibenfeldt. Still not sure myself of Mc. Laughlin, Wordsworth and O Neill. Hardly an endorsement is it of our set up and capacity for bringing improvements to the squad.? This activity heeds a significant review and overhaul?

I'm a bit worried. The club seems a bit flat at the moment. With talk of the manager and best players leaving, plus the uncertainty regarding FF it's going to be difficult to motivate people to dip into their pockets for yet another season ticket. Especially if the spammers start throwing out cheap tickets to fill the Olympic Stadium.

Much may also depend on any fees we get for departing players and how much of that Uncle Ron allows to be ploughed back into the purchase of better players.
I am encouraged by the fact that gillinghams progress and success was built on selling a goalkeeper for over a million and strengthening with the money, plus the introduction of at least a couple of good home grown youngsters. .?Bridge.
my concern is that Phil and Co have a significantly poor record at bringing better and more successful players to contribute to the club. Think Barnard, Weston, Coulthirst,Cassidy, Mooney, Loza, Kamara, Hunt, Pigott, Binnon Williams, Ibenfeldt. Still not sure myself of Mc. Laughlin, Wordsworth and O Neill. Hardly an endorsement is it of our set up and capacity for bringing improvements to the squad.? This activity heeds a significant review and overhaul?

I totally agree, but I don't know what other players would join us. Many of those came with good pedigrees. For example, an Orient fan I know said Mooney is a lazy player, but if we play to his strengthens he'll score a hatful in this division. Unfortunately, we didn't

Dont think there will be any rush signings, we as a rule take ages to get our new players in. So it depends on RM, what he makes available, but wages ones again will be the crunch, those that can afford the bigger bucks will get the better players.

I'm not feeling very positive about next season right now. Infact I can't get the thought of we're going to be in a relegation battle next year out of my head.

As I have posted previously on several threads about this , I can see a really tough season ahead , possibly battling relegation.
Its only a gut feeling , largely based on our history in this Division.

If Brown starts as manager next season , would not be surprised to see him canned before Christmas after a poor start.
If he leaves , I can see the new manager being a failure (we are due a pony manager , Wignall was the last and that's a good run for us) and a bad start will see him gone by Christmas.

Also, our November unbeaten run will finish this year.

I would very happily take finishing around the same place as we have this season.

Too many having a negative reaction to a non play off/promotion season.
Most supporters would have gladly take the season we have had given it is a better bigger league.
Next season depends on recruitment and the emergence of yoofs.....Bridge and smith in particular. I would like to see some young prospects come in as well as a couple of experienced league one players to give us a good blend. Another interesting summer ahead though.

Dont think there will be any rush signings, we as a rule take ages to get our new players in. So it depends on RM, what he makes available, but wages ones again will be the crunch, those that can afford the bigger bucks will get the better players.

I agree, in recent years we have been very slow out of the blocks. It may not all be about money either, but planning early and getting in quick, like Burton. Evidence from the Premiership showed that teams that moved early in pre season were more likely successors. Phil has stated at least twice now about bringing in the youngsters for experience with a few games to go and has failed to do just that. Hardly succession and development planning on that front is it?

I'm a bit worried. The club seems a bit flat at the moment. With talk of the manager and best players leaving, plus the uncertainty regarding FF it's going to be difficult to motivate people to dip into their pockets for yet another season ticket. Especially if the spammers start throwing out cheap tickets to fill the Olympic Stadium.

I'd be very disappointed in any true Southend 'fan' who deserted us for that shower of ****, I don't care how cheap their tickets are. I wouldn't darken those doors if they paid me.

I'd be very disappointed in any true Southend 'fan' who deserted us for that shower of ****, I don't care how cheap their tickets are. I wouldn't darken those doors if they paid me.

Same here. Us true fans won't go anywhere, but we have a lot of floaters that push our gates up when we are on a good run. They may well take a look and like what they see.

Too many having a negative reaction to a non play off/promotion season.
Most supporters would have gladly take the season we have had given it is a better bigger league.
Next season depends on recruitment and the emergence of yoofs.....Bridge and smith in particular. I would like to see some young prospects come in as well as a couple of experienced league one players to give us a good blend. Another interesting summer ahead though.

I remember really looking forward to an interesting summer once, then we appointed Peter Morris ...........

jeez that was 33 years ago

If 2016 has been an insight into next season then Christ we are in for a long one! Negative shackled tactics plus the potential that we will lose our two best players? Big summer ahead

Back