• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
What needs to happen next season to move the club on again?

I know we could still have a shot at the play offs but we don't deserve to and frankly we haven't beaten average opposition the last few games. Any teams in the play offs would destroy us on present form.

I think the following need moving on.

Oxley with smith as second choice behind a better first choice keeper.

O'Neil... pointless
Timlin.. works hard but not skilled enough
Atkinson.... see above
Mooney...past his sell by
Nouble...do I have to explain
Hines..knees shot to bits
Fortune may go but would be happy if he stayed

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that I have not been overly impressed with Demetriou. He can't defend as well as John white. He can't put a ball in either. At best I think we would play better with white at right back and Demetriou in front.

We need to sign some real quality.

I may be shot to pieces too....But i would think long and hard about keeping on Anton Ferdinand beyond this season. Don't get me wrong, he's been great this season, but he seems to be constantly carrying an injury and this has been the case for past 3 years as far as he's concerned. If we're going to be going for promotion then we need a more settled team. We've had to chop and change far too often which has cost us in key games.
Injuries to Ranger, Coker and Macca have also had a big say too...But it's Ferdinand who is out of contract.
We need two new centre backs, two quality centre midfielders (one creative)​ and maybe an upgrade on Mcglashan on the wing if we are to seriously challenge for promotion next year.

We can't afford the big names we have now..big gamble by Ron this season....expect to see a very different team next season...if we don't go up...which we won't. Wordsworth, anton straight out of the door. Lenny sold.

From afar and through reading your match threads all season i would say we require a decent goalkeeper,right back ,two more centre backs another creative midfielder and 2 decent wingers.Who will go is another story, I think White ,Oneil,Hines,Mcglashan,Timlin,Nouble,Mooney and maybe Atkinson.WHo we may lose but would like to keep,maybe Coker ,Leonard, Wordsworth Cox, Ranger Ferdinand,Thompson.Hopefully we can keep all though and build a side around them that will get us promoted or minimum playoff final at Wembley.Ferdinand even though he has injury problems would be an invaluable sub should a CB get injured or red carded.Anyway thats my thoughts.

I also think it should be mandatory that come the last 6 or so matches if Southend are in a challenging position in the league that all bottle shops in Southend be closed for the remainder of the season .:smile:

Well as harsh and blunt as it might sound, this group aren't good enough. 2 games in a row Millwall have gift wrapped opportunities for us to sneak in the top 6 and we've not turned up. They're not gonna screw up a 3rd game in a row so the chance has now gone. If we're serious about getting in the Championship then we need big changes as I think there's some insecure players here at the minute and are too worried about their jobs being in danger if we went up.

Millwall, as you say, gift-wrapped us a chance, which suggests they aren't good enough either.

This business of players being scared to go up, I don't really understand.

Surely, if we went up and they weren't required, they'd just get another League One club to play for.

None of our first choice players would find it a problem getting picked up, especially if we'd just been promoted.

Millwall, as you say, gift-wrapped us a chance, which suggests they aren't good enough either.
I agree. Okay I've not been watching them but with their cup run I think fatigue could be kicking in with them. I think Rochdale could be the ones to finish 6th

We can't afford the big names we have now..big gamble by Ron this season....expect to see a very different team next season...if we don't go up...which we won't. Wordsworth, anton straight out of the door. Lenny sold.

Woody assured me at the sponsors evening that he is here next year. He must also be under a similar extension to Lenny. The team spirit here is still good and the lads get on well.

I agree. Okay I've not been watching them but with their cup run I think fatigue could be kicking in with them. I think Rochdale could be the ones to finish 6th
Lol, it's Agent Barrett at work!
:winking:

What needs to happen next season to move the club on again?

I know we could still have a shot at the play offs but we don't deserve to and frankly we haven't beaten average opposition the last few games. Any teams in the play offs would destroy us on present form.

I think the following need moving on.

Oxley with smith as second choice behind a better first choice keeper.

O'Neil... pointless
Timlin.. works hard but not skilled enough
Atkinson.... see above
Mooney...past his sell by
Nouble...do I have to explain
Hines..knees shot to bits
Fortune may go but would be happy if he stayed

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that I have not been overly impressed with Demetriou. He can't defend as well as John white. He can't put a ball in either. At best I think we would play better with white at right back and Demetriou in front.

We need to sign some real quality.

Oxley, Smith and Fortune are all under contract I believe so it's unlikely they'll be going anywhere. We do need to nail down the goalkeeper position though, I'm not convinced that Ted Smith is the next Dan Bentley from what I've seen. Oxley was in good form before he got injured so I'd keep him as number one if we're still in League One next season, although if this elbow of his is going to continue to cause problems we may have to look at bringing in another keeper.

O'Neil, Hines, Mooney and Nouble will all be off I'm sure.

I may be shot to pieces too....But i would think long and hard about keeping on Anton Ferdinand beyond this season. Don't get me wrong, he's been great this season, but he seems to be constantly carrying an injury and this has been the case for past 3 years as far as he's concerned. If we're going to be going for promotion then we need a more settled team. We've had to chop and change far too often which has cost us in key games.
Injuries to Ranger, Coker and Macca have also had a big say too...But it's Ferdinand who is out of contract.
We need two new centre backs, two quality centre midfielders (one creative)​ and maybe an upgrade on Mcglashan on the wing if we are to seriously challenge for promotion next year.

" MOTHER....fetch me the elephant gun" :winking:

Not sure why you think that.

This team have proved time and time again they are not good enough,the players or the manager's tactics have fallen short .

Pre season is where we are normally shambolic,then the season begins and we play catch up for the remainder of the term.I know I've banged on and on but signing these old guys on decent money is mad and rarely pays off,I find it incredible Nile was given such a long deal even though he has missed a large volume of games and put in some below par performances,Coxy has only managed 12 goals from open play whilst Fortune has slipped off the radar,the signings of Nouble and Hines was crackers which had zero benefit to the team,Ferdy has fitness issues so signing him for another season would be another massive gamble.

Strange times in my mind....clear out required IMO.

Whether we make play-offs or not, this season is still a success in my view. It's an improvement on the last. We're in a better position to attract players should some leave...

Attendance is up on last season, and see no reason why it wouldn't increase next year because we WERE THIS CLOSE to play-offs... All in all, we're in a good space - I think.

That's kind of how I see it.

I think we'll continue to strengthen in the summer.

The key will be keeping the better players fit.

For various reasons, we've had them all out for a short/longer period, at some point in the last 3 months, except Thommo and Demi. We also lost Lenny & Will at key points, through suspension.

Ironically, that Bolton match being postponed did us absolutely no favours at all. Maybe Ron had a point, back in January!

Whether we make play-offs or not, this season is still a success in my view. It's an improvement on the last. We're in a better position to attract players should some leave...

Attendance is up on last season, and see no reason why it wouldn't increase next year because we WERE THIS CLOSE to play-offs... All in all, we're in a good space - I think.

In the cold light of day (Sunday morning, in fact) yes, you are right. Football is packed with "If only", "Yes, but" and so on.

I'd also like to see Demetriou play RM. I was under the impression when he was at Orient we was a midfielder, and while in Cyrus his become a RB... I'd play him in RM and tell White you'll be first choice RB at the start of pre-season.

Woody assured me at the sponsors evening that he is here next year. He must also be under a similar extension to Lenny. The team spirit here is still good and the lads get on well.

Lol, it's Agent Barrett at work!
:winking:

That's great news if true, I was worried about Wordsworth moving on and we currently have a lack of creativity in midfield when he's out.

If it was up to me I'd definately release O'Neill, Hines, Nouble and Mooney, I'd be amazed if any of them are here next season.

Everyone else out of contract I'd try to keep, I believe that's White, Thompson, Ferdinand and Atkinson. We definitely need more cover in defense and another creative midfielder as we're overly reliant on Wordsworth in this regard.

Back