• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next Southend United manager odds!

Would be interested to hear what style of football Neil Smith plays? Seems very popular with the Bromley supporters. Was he working with a very low budget in comparison to what their current manager (Woodman) has been afforded?
There was a documentary on BT Sport maybe a year or so ago. It followed four teams in the NL. One of them was Bromley. Neil Smith came across very well, calm but could put the boot in if he had to. Real community guy as well. Seemed very likeable. Would be my first choice

I guess he’s well respected by managers, players and the media involved in non-league football. Has the ability to get players to play for him, very much an arm around the shoulder person. His knowledge of this league is probably second to none, contributing many hours of his day at the ground, involvement with the clubs youngsters and the supporters.
Exactly this. A proper motivator…

Thought Chesterfield had refused us permission to talk to him.
Doesnt mean much really. Although the approach got me thinking.

Lots of if’s and but’s here but this is a strange one for me….

If we assume he was on Stan’s list then maybe he indicated he was interested, then after speaking with the others on Sunday we made an approach to speak to him (not offer him the job) as you would have to as he is employed, they have now refused and not given us permission to speak to him. So if he were to be interested we could make another approach to speak to him or he could go to them and say I want to speak to Southend.

If he was on one of the others list, maybe then we have made an approach to see if we can speak to him but as we know refused. Questions then are … is he interested, do we go back again, do we sound him out.

If none of the above apply then have we made a cheeky approach? I find this les likely as according to SC we wbottled the list down on Sunday and started calling round to those who were not on the shortlist to say thanks for showing interest but we are going another way, and if they are on the shortlist they were contacted to say they were, so one assumes that they were told we will make an approach if they are employed and if they are not employed then we will get you in for an interview.

All if’s, but’s and maybe’s but it is, for me at least, a very strange approach if you do not know if he is interested. For me you only ever approach a club if you know they maybe interested

My money, for what it is worth is on Smith, although I think we haven’t heard the last of the Rowe situation.

I don’t know much about a lot of the managers on the list, but the more I read about Smith, the more I like.

Not particularly keen on Gannon, have a lot of family around Stockport, and heard a few things, and from some people on podcasts that put me off him.

Currie, as I’ve said before, would have been my pick instead of MM. Wonder if Coughlan would be part of that potential deal.

In an ideal world, I’d love Barrett, and I’d love nothing more than it to be like the Tilson days, but I think he is better off staying clear of us.

As has been mentioned, I could see Tilly involved in some capacity. Would have liked to have seen him replace Duncan in charge of the youth set up.

Benno, a top guy who I have a lot of time for, but not sure the time is right for an relatively inexperienced manager.

Whoever gets in certainly has their work cut out, but I still make Southend an attractive proposition, and if they can turn us round, we certainly have a lot of potential. It’s a big IF though in terms of turning us around. Think it’s more achievable with SC involved though.

Could ask the same about Tilson, Barrett, Cowley brothers, etc..

I don't get the obsession with Tilson and Barrett; nether have any decent managerial experience at this level, and how long has Tilson been out of the game until recently!!

We moaned about PB not understanding the game anymore and he's managed more recently than Tilson!!

I don't get the obsession with Tilson and Barrett; nether have any decent managerial experience at this level, and how long has Tilson been out of the game until recently!!

We moaned about PB not understanding the game anymore and he's managed more recently than Tilson!!
Tilson is currently a manager but I hear what your saying

Back