• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next Southend United manager odds!

Doesnt mean much really. Although the approach got me thinking.

Lots of if’s and but’s here but this is a strange one for me….

If we assume he was on Stan’s list then maybe he indicated he was interested, then after speaking with the others on Sunday we made an approach to speak to him (not offer him the job) as you would have to as he is employed, they have now refused and not given us permission to speak to him. So if he were to be interested we could make another approach to speak to him or he could go to them and say I want to speak to Southend.

If he was on one of the others list, maybe then we have made an approach to see if we can speak to him but as we know refused. Questions then are … is he interested, do we go back again, do we sound him out.

If none of the above apply then have we made a cheeky approach? I find this les likely as according to SC we wbottled the list down on Sunday and started calling round to those who were not on the shortlist to say thanks for showing interest but we are going another way, and if they are on the shortlist they were contacted to say they were, so one assumes that they were told we will make an approach if they are employed and if they are not employed then we will get you in for an interview.

All if’s, but’s and maybe’s but it is, for me at least, a very strange approach if you do not know if he is interested. For me you only ever approach a club if you know they maybe interested

Did someone say Rowe used to play for Canvey? If so I’m guessing he may be from around this general area, so maybe it was hoped he’d like the idea of a move back to where he comes from. Only way to find out was to dangle the carrot & see what happened. Plus knowing someone wants you is quite a powerful pull, particularly if it’s worth more money. Worth a try, seems we did it the right way, so no harm done if it’s a non starter.

My money, for what it is worth is on Smith, although I think we haven’t heard the last of the Rowe situation.

I don’t know much about a lot of the managers on the list, but the more I read about Smith, the more I like.

Not particularly keen on Gannon, have a lot of family around Stockport, and heard a few things, and from some people on podcasts that put me off him.

Currie, as I’ve said before, would have been my pick instead of MM. Wonder if Coughlan would be part of that potential deal.

In an ideal world, I’d love Barrett, and I’d love nothing more than it to be like the Tilson days, but I think he is better off staying clear of us.

As has been mentioned, I could see Tilly involved in some capacity. Would have liked to have seen him replace Duncan in charge of the youth set up.

Benno, a top guy who I have a lot of time for, but not sure the time is right for an relatively inexperienced manager.

Whoever gets in certainly has their work cut out, but I still make Southend an attractive proposition, and if they can turn us round, we certainly have a lot of potential. It’s a big IF though in terms of turning us around. Think it’s more achievable with SC involved though.
Neil Smith looks like a solid possibility. But I am not sure why he is seen by many on this board as a number one choice. He did not achieve a promotion with Bromley in 5 years, got the club to Wembley after two years as manager, and the club was 7th in the National League when he was sacked. That is a pretty fair record but is it outstanding?

A lot of the other contenders (ie Currie, Keates) have better win ratios and are younger.

One thing is clear. Whoever gets the job must have the capability to turn things around rapidly and get the club out of the National League within 2 years.

In any event, I am encouraged by the impact that SC and TL seem to having on the process of appointing a new manager. Seems much more business like and systematic than before and hopefully the outcome will be positive.

Bore off with the talk of Tilson now. Look to the future and stop focusing on the past. Going back to ex players and managers etc does not work! Especially when it is a manager who only done well in one job and pretty much flopped everywhere else, hasn’t been in the professional men’s game for a very long time and styles of football are very different now and our squad is nowhere near as strong as it was the last time he was here.
If he comes back I’d only suggest as a local scout and nothing more.

I don't get the obsession with Tilson and Barrett; nether have any decent managerial experience at this level, and how long has Tilson been out of the game until recently!!

We moaned about PB not understanding the game anymore and he's managed more recently than Tilson!!
I totally understand it, through all these years of supporting it never felt better then winning, playing exciting football with a southend man at the top (tilson), a southend man (barret), a southend legend (spinner) and a local lad (eastwood).

Those first few years with tilly were a dream come true, and its natural people want that back.

Doubtful it would ever be that good again, but the prospect of it is enticing.

Personally i want someone that can steady the ship, see us mid table, not a bloody joke of a club on freefall. Then perhaps one day we will see barrett take the reins.

Last edited:
The interest in Rowe is intriguing because it suggests a few things. These would include (a) we are willing to pay Chesterfield compensation; (b) we are willing to pay a decent whack for his services; and (c) the contract offered would not be a short term one.
Definitely not what I was expecting. Does it mean Ron is cashed up (for the time being, at least)?

I agree but I do think he has great knowledge of the non league and will end up in a recruiting role for SUFC.

What is this knowledge of the Non League that you think Tilson has?

Have I missed him being involved in a Non League setup over the last few years.

I totally understand it, through all these years of supporting it never felt better then winning, playing exciting football with a southend man at the top (tilson), a southend man (barret), a southend legend (spinner) and a local lad (eastwood).

Those first few years with tilly were a dream come true, and its natural people want that back.

Doubtful it would ever be that good again, but the prospect of it is enticing.

Personally i want someone that can steady the ship, see us mid table, not a bloody joke of a club on freefall. Then perhaps one day we will see barrett take the reins.

Personally, when we were doing well under Webb, Fry, Tilson, PB etc; it didn't matter to me where the players were from!! Besides, a lot of the people from the area don't even support Southend.

The best player I ever saw in a Southend shirt was Stan Collymore and did I care that he wasn't born down the road; no I didn't!!!

Whilst rowe would be very good appointment but can't see it happening, he would be silly to jump from side who have great shot at promotion to join this **** show. which leaves us with smith or currie. The more I think about it the more I like the sound of Smith..... a manager who if we are honest isn't "wow appointment" but does look safe pair of hands, knows the league and can work within a budget. Probably are best bet considering are dire form and league placing.

I tend to agree with the sentiment that Tilly would not be the right fit for us now. Others allegedly in the frame have more compelling credentials. His last spell in league management at Lincoln did not end well if I remember correctly. It would not be great for all concerned if, after the Chris Powell spell in charge, another legend became a fallen idol. These days waiting for the white smoke are certainly more interesting than agonising over whether PB will perversely leave Murphy and Dalby benched once more!

James Rowe has strong links to this area having played for several local non league teams, grown up in Ipswich and his dad was a former Colchester player having come through our youth system but didn't play many 1st team games, this was back in the early/mid 70s. I think he would be daft to leave Chesterfield given he is doing so well there, and also I feel his lack of experience could be a flaw as Molesley found when he joined you. You need an older more experienced guy who can steady things down and get the best out of your squad of players.

James Rowe has strong links to this area having played for several local non league teams, grown up in Ipswich and his dad was a former Colchester player having come through our youth system but didn't play many 1st team games, this was back in the early/mid 70s. I think he would be daft to leave Chesterfield given he is doing so well there, and also I feel his lack of experience could be a flaw as Molesley found when he joined you. You need an older more experienced guy who can steady things down and get the best out of your squad of players.
Like Phil Brown you mean? ?

:Thumbs down:No not like Phil Brown, you need someone who will get the best out of the players but not bully or exclude them for no reason. Maybe a manager with 10 years or more of experience, Rowe is only 38 and has little experience as yet.
not sure i agree, he is doing al right at Chesterfield without much experience, if he leaves chesterfield (big if for me) then maybe the lure of being nearer his family or maybe a perception Southend are a decent sized club in the division, dont know but would welcome him having seen how his chesterfield team played

not sure i agree, he is doing al right at Chesterfield without much experience, if he leaves chesterfield (big if for me) then maybe the lure of being nearer his family or maybe a perception Southend are a decent sized club in the division, dont know but would welcome him having seen how his chesterfield team played

We shall see, he has only been in the job a year or so, so the initial success may just be a flash in the pan, lets hope whoever you bring in works out for you all.

Not a great insight, but I emailed a guy I work with who is a Bromley season ticket holder and here is what he said about Smith:

He was a good manager for Bromley, well liked & respected however after five years in situ he was sacked and replaced by Andy Woodman in March this year. Many of the Bromley fans were sad to see him go but the Board wanted to freshen things up and it seems to be working as if we win the games in hand then we can go 2nd having already played 3 of the top 4.

Hope that Smudge gets to Southend job and does well as long as you finish below Bromley!

Can you share what he said please? Did he sound like he had already been interviewed or it was in the pipeline?
He just said (more or less) that he wouldn't rule out managing any club higher in the pyramid thann Canvey and was also greatful to Southend for giving him his first chance in professional football as a player.Very difficult to know from the interview whether he'd already been interviewed or one was in the pipeline.Benno's clearly become adept at the management PR side of things :Winking: but IMO SUFC would be daft not to talk to him at least.He clearly knows about NL football,which is unfortunately where we're starting from.

Back