• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next Southend United manager odds!

Neil Smith looks the best candidate for me, 5 good mid-table seasons with Bromley until he got sacked whilst 7th in the table. Currie did well with Barnet but he hasn't been managing long enough to know if that was a one off or something he can do consistently. Suspect Currie will be more likely to accept than Smith though.

I think Mark Bentley and Kevin Maher will definitely be on Stan's list. Benno fits the bill of the one who Stan was quite excited about.....early 40s, a Southend connection which Stan also seems to like.

I'm sure they'll be a mixture of non league managers and some under 23 boss' from southern based premier League/ championship clubs on his hit list

I’m hoping it’s Darren Currie, with or without Graham to be honest. Just wouldn’t want him as manager.
Clearly Darren Currie is very popular with a number of blues fans, but I’m not sure why. He’s only managed for 18 months at National League level, winning 29 matches out of 75. Took over as manager and inherited a very good squad at Barnet when John Still decided to retire, due to poor health. John was working with a fairly big budget at the time and it would seem that this was unsustainable. There are clearly more experienced candidates at this level.

David Oldfield off to a flyer at Oxford City in league below this year and has good pedigree working in senior roles across the academies of good clubs like West Brom, franchise FC and Peterborough (where has 2 wins from 2 as caretaker as well) I like this sort of candidate in general however given our current situation I would personally like to see someone with a touch more experience in managing senior football such as Benno, Mcgreal, and some of the others mentioned on the various threads before this. Something about Currie that I cant put my finger on but don't think he is the answer for us right now.

Also cannot fathom the backing of Currie.
What’s he really done?

Wouldn’t be my choice.

Head says Tisdale or Gannon (but neither ideal)

Heart says Adam B

Neil Harris, that would be interesting. Local
Lad, but would he really be this desperate

Last edited:
David Oldfield off to a flyer at Oxford City in league below this year and has good pedigree working in senior roles across the academies of good clubs like West Brom, franchise FC and Peterborough (where has 2 wins from 2 as caretaker as well) I like this sort of candidate in general however given our current situation I would personally like to see someone with a touch more experience in managing senior football such as Benno, Mcgreal, and some of the others mentioned on the various threads before this. Something about Currie that I cant put my finger on but don't think he is the answer for us right now.
I guess Stan would have played with oldfield at Leicester?

Clearly Darren Currie is very popular with a number of blues fans, but I’m not sure why. He’s only managed for 18 months at National League level, winning 29 matches out of 75. Took over as manager and inherited a very good squad at Barnet when John Still decided to retire, due to poor health. John was working with a fairly big budget at the time and it would seem that this was unsustainable. There are clearly more experienced candidates at this level.
Still was sacked by Barnet for doing a terrible job, Currie turned Barnet around that season and got them play offs, only left when the owner said he was cutting the budget in half. Still managed Maidstone after and was sacked by them, is now our head of recruitment.

Neil Harris would be excellent but he may want a job higher up same for Paul Tisdale I like Neil smith works well on a tight budget

You may look at those stats, but DC likes people to consider Barnet's record after him (as he retweeted the following):

Still was sacked by Barnet for doing a terrible job, Currie turned Barnet around that season and got them play offs, only left when the owner said he was cutting the budget in half. Still managed Maidstone after and was sacked by them, is now our head of recruitment.

In fact he took over from 29th Dec 2018 with Barnet on 31 points from 23 games. He then added 29 points from the last 23 games, finishing 12th. The following season the did make the playoffs, based on a points per game basis. Being placed 7th after moving up from 11th. They won a total of 14 games that season.
My point is that stats can be made to support any point of view but I believe there are better candidates about with more experience.

In fact he took over from 29th Dec 2018 with Barnet on 31 points from 23 games. He then added 29 points from the last 23 games, finishing 12th. The following season the did make the playoffs, based on a points per game basis. Being placed 7th after moving up from 11th. They won a total of 14 games that season.
My point is that stats can be made to support any point of view but I believe there are better candidates about with more experience.
According to Stan's update, knowledge of the National League is a "prerequisite" for the Southend manager's job. On that basis, I think Currie, Keates, Gannon and Smith would appear to be among the frontrunners for the job.

Back