• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Next Southend United manager odds!

Won the FA trophy last season too with them beating numerous conference teams. They have a few decent players too who we could look at ie Purcell.

I saw George Purcell when he was at Great Wakering, defiantly has skill and can shoot. On the downside he is over 30 and has played mostly at a lower non league level. He may be one of those players who has a decent job and is quite happy to play part time football.

If we were looking at Hornchurch players Charlie Ruff is young, still a bit raw but very talented.

Neil Smith looks the best candidate for me, 5 good mid-table seasons with Bromley until he got sacked whilst 7th in the table. Currie did well with Barnet but he hasn't been managing long enough to know if that was a one off or something he can do consistently. Suspect Currie will be more likely to accept than Smith though.
I know Neil quite well.
He's got personality and has been a no-nonsense coach albeit one with passion and a sense of reality.
We could do worse, and no, I'm not his agent, lol!

Am surprised Barrett is not better thought of on here.

I don't think he wants to manage this lot yet, and can see why he would stay put at Millwall, but he holds every card when it comes to the ideal choice.

I don't think he wants to manage this lot yet, and can see why he would stay put at Millwall, but he holds every card when it comes to the ideal choice.
I don't think it's a lack of appreciation for his ability, more the fear-factor of parachuting AB into this absolute dumpster-fire of a club and not giving him even half a chance of making a success of it.

He is the ideal choice, but he'd be a fool to take it in my opinion. You just know RM will throw him under the bus if results are not good...even though the problems are out of his control.

You may look at those stats, but DC likes people to consider Barnet's record after him (as he retweeted the following):
Barnet decided to sell all their good players and bring in cheap options when Covid hit (which is why Currie resigned, he wasn't sacked), Barnet would have had that sort of record even if he'd stayed because their squad was deliberately made much, much worse to save money.

I'm very much in the Mark Stimson camp. Vastly experienced and most of that at non-league level with a local bias. Also has a promotion and two FA Trophies to his name.

Back