• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Next Zoom Meeting

Why doesn’t Ron want to sell the club? Surely he will still make his millions?

We either need him gone or FF to be started by the end of this calendar year or we are finished as a club.

Please don’t pussyfoot around him.

Reactions: JAL

We either need him gone or FF to be started by the end of this calendar year or we are finished as a club.

I think that's a reasonable deadline. He has until the end of the year to start work on it (or even have planning permmission in place) or fans protests recommence. After all, it's "imminent" at present, isn't it ?

I am certain there will not be a commencement on site before the end of this calendar year.

In case you missed it, in the last Zoom meeting Ron outlined how things currently stand in respect of FF. At the time of that meeting he said he was waiting for SBC members to ‘approve’ the planning application but then said it would be referred to the Secretary of State, which suggests to me it is a ‘called in’ application. That would make sense given the magnitude of the proposal. Effectively though it means he was waiting for SBC to confirm their ‘support’ of the application because a called in application can only be approved by the Secretary of State.

Called in planning applications are sent by the Secretary of State to be dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate. An inspector is appointed and he/she has to consider all the submitted documents, recommended planning conditions, certified or draft section 106 obligations, comments made by consultees and any objections received from the community at large. The inspector will usually wish to make a site visit and then a public inquiry is held where any objectors can make their case. After all this, the inspector compiles a report that is sent to the Secretary of State with a recommendation for approval or refusal. This process usually takes a minimum of 6 months, and if the recommendation for approval is upheld there is then a 6 week challenge period where aggrieved parties can submit a challenge to the decision. So, if SBC members have agreed to support the application during September, as Ron was hoping, all the necessary documentation has been immediately forwarded to the Secretary of State and ultimately approval is granted, in my opinion the earliest work could commence would be during April/May 2022.

In the Zoom meeting Ron said his programme was to commence work on the new training ground in January, vacating the existing training ground in June so that construction of the new stadium could follow on from there. I assumed he meant January and June 2022 but unless the process I have outlined above can be short circuited in some way (I am not aware it can but I am an architect not a planning officer/consultant), I doubt next January is feasible. Ron wasn’t specific so perhaps he meant January 2023 or any other year one wishes to choose.

I am certain there will not be a commencement on site before the end of this calendar year.

In case you missed it, in the last Zoom meeting Ron outlined how things currently stand in respect of FF. At the time of that meeting he said he was waiting for SBC members to ‘approve’ the planning application but then said it would be referred to the Secretary of State, which suggests to me it is a ‘called in’ application. That would make sense given the magnitude of the proposal. Effectively though it means he was waiting for SBC to confirm their ‘support’ of the application because a called in application can only be approved by the Secretary of State.

Called in planning applications are sent by the Secretary of State to be dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate. An inspector is appointed and he/she has to consider all the submitted documents, recommended planning conditions, certified or draft section 106 obligations, comments made by consultees and any objections received from the community at large. The inspector will usually wish to make a site visit and then a public inquiry is held where any objectors can make their case. After all this, the inspector compiles a report that is sent to the Secretary of State with a recommendation for approval or refusal. This process usually takes a minimum of 6 months, and if the recommendation for approval is upheld there is then a 6 week challenge period where aggrieved parties can submit a challenge to the decision. So, if SBC members have agreed to support the application during September, as Ron was hoping, all the necessary documentation has been immediately forwarded to the Secretary of State and ultimately approval is granted, in my opinion the earliest work could commence would be during April/May 2022.

In the Zoom meeting Ron said his programme was to commence work on the new training ground in January, vacating the existing training ground in June so that construction of the new stadium could follow on from there. I assumed he meant January and June 2022 but unless the process I have outlined above can be short circuited in some way (I am not aware it can but I am an architect not a planning officer/consultant), I doubt next January is feasible. Ron wasn’t specific so perhaps he meant January 2023 or any other year one wishes to choose.
But we were told it would be "imminent"

Ron and the Council wouldn't surely lie?

In relative terms it could be classed as imminent compared to the last 15 years...

As usual, believe it when i see it.

Last edited:

I think @getintoem ’s point is it’s out of their hands whether it gets called in or not by the Secretary of State.

For what it’s worth, my opinion (as a former planning officer) is that it won’t get called in as the stadium has not changed substantially since last time it was called in and the housing development is not sufficiently large or contrary to national policies. We’ve also had the localism bill since last time it was called in.

Ron’s point last time was that you can’t do anything until the period has expired when it could be called in (60 days IIRC).

To keep us on topic, I think Ron should be asked for another update on planning dates and negotiations about any remaining issues regarding the S.106 agreement.

I think @getintoem ’s point is it’s out of their hands whether it gets called in or not by the Secretary of State.

For what it’s worth, my opinion (as a former planning officer) is that it won’t get called in as the stadium has not changed substantially since last time it was called in and the housing development is not sufficiently large or contrary to national policies. We’ve also had the localism bill since last time it was called in.

Ron’s point last time was that you can’t do anything until the period has expired when it could be called in (60 days IIRC).

To keep us on topic, I think Ron should be asked for another update on planning dates and negotiations about any remaining issues regarding the S.106 agreement.
Thank you for clarifying the matter Shrimpergarry, perhaps Ron was thinking of the 60 day period when he said it would be referred to the Secretary of State.

It did cross my mind that perhaps there would be no need for this new proposal to be called in, bearing in mind the previous one was, and especially as the latest scheme provides housing which central government consider to be high priority.

If it does not get called in Ron's programme of commencement in January 2022 could well be possible but I agree totally with your last paragraph. It would also be interesting to know the content of the one outstanding planning condition Ron mentioned in the Zoom call.

I still await my season ticket card as does my brother in law.How pathetic, it sums up SUFC,a tinpot club ruled by a incoherent businessman.
Yep, myself and my friend are waiting for ours still.

Yep, myself and my friend are waiting for ours still.
I simply don't understand how that is acceptable! We'll be in October tomorrow and fans still don't have their cards!! I would say I'm speechless but this is the expected standard of service these days.

Can't wait to hear the old 'printers broke' again pathetic laughable excuse.

Thanks for your input and knowledge. Do you think it would be reasonable to have at least obtained approval by SBC by the end of this year ? If it gets "called in" then RM has done his level best and we're in the hands of the Sec of State. If not, then there is obvioulsy a concern that this will not happen imminently and pressure should be put on RM to sell up ?

Thanks for your input and knowledge. Do you think it would be reasonable to have at least obtained approval by SBC by the end of this year ? If it gets "called in" then RM has done his level best and we're in the hands of the Sec of State. If not, then there is obvioulsy a concern that this will not happen imminently and pressure should be put on RM to sell up ?
I do not have any inside information so I can only give an opinion based upon what Ron said in the Zoom meeting. Of course, we all know that some things Ron has said in the past have not materialised so it is completely up to individuals to make up their own minds whether or not to take on board what he has said this time.

All I can say is Ron sounded optimistic about obtaining the approval/support from SBC which is understandable as the new proposed scheme, to some degree, is in SBCs interest by helping them meet targets set by central government for provision of new housing. It seems that satisfying the requirement(s) of the one unaddressed planning condition delayed things beyond June when he had originally hoped to have a decision from the council. Assuming the condition has now been satisfactorily covered, obtaining the decision hinges upon arrangement of a special planning meeting of the council to consider the application, when hopefully a recommendation for approval will be ratified. Ron said he and the planning officers were hoping for a date in September but I think we would have heard by now if the meeting had taken place.

So, to answer your question, I think it ought to be possible for the necessary special meeting to be arranged before Christmas but councillors tend to be busy people and arranging a non-scheduled meeting relies upon finding a mutually available date in their diaries. It appears to me that Ron can do no more at present other than wait for SBC to notify him of the date of the meeting.

I do not have any inside information so I can only give an opinion based upon what Ron said in the Zoom meeting. Of course, we all know that some things Ron has said in the past have not materialised so it is completely up to individuals to make up their own minds whether or not to take on board what he has said this time.

All I can say is Ron sounded optimistic about obtaining the approval/support from SBC which is understandable as the new proposed scheme, to some degree, is in SBCs interest by helping them meet targets set by central government for provision of new housing. It seems that satisfying the requirement(s) of the one unaddressed planning condition delayed things beyond June when he had originally hoped to have a decision from the council. Assuming the condition has now been satisfactorily covered, obtaining the decision hinges upon arrangement of a special planning meeting of the council to consider the application, when hopefully a recommendation for approval will be ratified. Ron said he and the planning officers were hoping for a date in September but I think we would have heard by now if the meeting had taken place.

So, to answer your question, I think it ought to be possible for the necessary special meeting to be arranged before Christmas but councillors tend to be busy people and arranging a non-scheduled meeting relies upon finding a mutually available date in their diaries. It appears to me that Ron can do no more at present other than wait for SBC to notify him of the date of the meeting.
Nice one, thanks

Back