• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
The NFL season starts next week, and no player will be more thankful to be a part of the big Kick Off than Philadelphia's Michael Vick.

Vick, fresh from serving 18 months of a 23 month sentence for running an illegal dog-fighting ring, saw his indefinite suspension from the League repealed in July and has since signed for the Eagles having been released from Atlanta. His conditional reinstatement forbids him from playing regular-season games until the NFL commissioner rules otherwise, but it's widely thought that Vick will be reinstated in time for Week 3... Not that bad for a man playing Prison Football this time last year.

I'd like to think scenes from The Longest Yard were replicated, perhaps Vick teamed up with a wise cracking partner and a former pro to take on a team of guards, maybe he'll even come out of this a reformed character... He certainly seemed remorseful in an interview for "60 Minutes" a fortnight ago, but his punishment remains to be effectively a two game ban and, in a league where missed of failed or missed drug tests carry half that, I can't say I'm all that surprised to see him back.

He faces a dogfight of his own for the QB1 spot though... Donovan McNabb is in his 10th season with the Eagles and suffered something of a resurgence last time out, throwing just shy of 4,000 yards resulting in a franchise-record of 416 points. If McNabb can maintain that kind of performance with the arm, and Vick can regain the prowess he had rushing, then Philly could be on to something.

Elsewhere in the League, Brett Favre continues to roll back the years and has turned up in Minnesota to feature for his 17th season in the NFL. Obviously not garnering enough attention on the sidelines, Favre's come out of retirement for the second year running and has signed a two year deal with the Vikings taking him to the ripe old age of 41... After that, I'm guessing he'll have to erect a flashing neon sign above his head so people remember him.

Hmmm, Michael Vick, im no fan of his, but I am a huge Eagles fan. is it bad business taking an ex criminal with a high profile, or is it a stroke of genius? Take the Eagles supporters they are the nearest thing in the NFL to a hooligan following and if a player including an Eagle isn't playing well they the supporters soon turn against him. With this in mind Vicks past will be overlooked until he makes a mistake.
As for Favre, he is going to the Hall of Fame and must have umpteen jobs waiting for him in the media so I do question his menatlity in wanting to play another season. Technically he has nothing to play for especially for the Vikings. he has a superbowl ring, and umpteen records but the moment he turns up at Lambeau Field wearing his purple uniform and completes a pass the Packers fan will hate him.
There is also Sanchez the named QB for the Jets. The first round draft pick from USC will be expected to lead the Jets to a winning record in his first season, where most QB's get a season sitting on the sidelines learning the system.
There is also Brendon Marshall and his conflict with Denver, we he play, we he forcre a trade and to who? I wouldn't be suprised to see him go to the Cardinals in a swap with Bouldin as he is grumbling about wanting to rework his contract which has caused conflict in the Cardinals camp.

I must admit, I did expect Tebow or McCoy to go into the draft this season... As did half of the NCAA coaches apparently.

Tebow needs another season in college to prove to people he can be an NFL qb. There is no doubting his athletic abilities or leadership, but his decision making and throwing needs to improve for him to be a high pick in the draft.... which is where he should be aiming to go

Back