• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

NHS staff described as 'rude, arrogant and lazy'

I grabbed a nurse's boob once and got a mouthful of abuse. Strippers these days.......

Having experienced the National Health Service first hand twice last year and second hand on more occasions than I care to remember at a variety of hospitals - Southend, Broomfield, UCHL - I have nothing but praise for the majority of hospital workers I encountered. Maybe I was just lucky. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, that with my eventual operation done at the Wellesley, I had better attention from the NHS staff. Yes, the Wellesley was more comfortable and afforded privacy and excellent food but the friendliness and attentiveness of the NHS staff helped pass the time.

Having experienced the National Health Service first hand twice last year and second hand on more occasions than I care to remember at a variety of hospitals - Southend, Broomfield, UCHL - I have nothing but praise for the majority of hospital workers I encountered. Maybe I was just lucky. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, that with my eventual operation done at the Wellesley, I had better attention from the NHS staff. Yes, the Wellesley was more comfortable and afforded privacy and excellent food but the friendliness and attentiveness of the NHS staff helped pass the time.

As well as a gallstone or two? :winking:

I'm having continual run-ins these days with nursing staff in a community hospital who seem intent on denying an elderly confused chap his entitlement to Continuing Health Care funding of a Nursing Home place. They have neglected to include details of his condition in reports which would support his case and take it personally when I don't support their recommendations (or lack of them). One of the senior nursing staff is so cavalier about this chap's situation she'd be happy to see him packed off to a home his family doesn't like so that she can demonstrate to the lovely Trust Managers what an efficient functionary she is. My experience suggests that as well as all the good folk working in the NHS, there are also many arrogant, self-important and supercilious bods 'doing to' patients rather than 'doing for' or 'enabling,' to use the latest care-speak.

As a member of NHS staff I can confirm there are many rude arrogant and lazy staff in the NHS but I can also assure you that the rest of the staff are just, and in some cases much more angry then the general public about these people.

Unfortunately these are the kind of people that as soon as they get complained about spend the next 6 months off work with 'stress'

As a member of NHS staff I can confirm there are many rude arrogant and lazy staff in the NHS but I can also assure you that the rest of the staff are just, and in some cases much more angry then the general public about these people.

Unfortunately these are the kind of people that as soon as they get complained about spend the next 6 months off work with 'stress'

That's the same in any kind of work though, and those that are there day in, day out, just getting on with their jobs quietly and efficiently constantly get overlooked.

Around the time my twins were born, we spent a lot of time in our local hospital Hillingdon. My wife was in there for a couple of weeks prior to their birth and then the babies were there until they were 50 days old. So the best part of ten weeks all told and, despite the staff clearly being stretched in terms of resource, they looked after my family wonderfully.

When my wife went in for her emergency caesarean, there were 13 (!) members of staff in theatre - including an anaesthetist who found it great larks to spray me with the same freezing solution they gave my wife - and once the babies were in the neo-natal unit they had a dedicated nurse at all times and a visit from a consultant every morning. Even now, the care from the NHS is great - the babies get prescribed extra formula milk for free to help them grow and we get regular meetings with the paediatric team to ensure the babies are making good progress. Which, I'm happy to say, they are.

Three cheers for the NHS!

I am also an NHS worker and agree with Bambi on the above. It should be mentioned though that the survey quoted was from a website called Patient Opinion and as we all know, people are much more likely to log on to complain than they are to praise everyday good hard work.

Rude and Arrogant probably describes a number of the patients.

The Amount of abuse my good lady gets at times makes me wonder why anyone would want to work in the public health service.

The amount of patients who are 'non complient' and then try and blame the health service, when it is there own lazyness and stupidity that jeopodizes there health care surely outnumbers the staff that are?

Im sure Bambi has a lot of problems with this?

I do indeed, although I am on a care of the elderly ward at the moment so the little old ladies tend to love me and the other male physio on the ward compared to the female staff but the family generally cause lots of problems, mainly the ones of think their mum/dad is the only patient in the whole hospital and don't understand why the nurse/physiotherapist/consultant doesn't spend the whole shift working with their parents.

For example I stayed after work in my own time yesterday for a family meeting with myself, social services and the consultant. Now I didn't need to, I didn't get paid and i wont get the time back and by the time it had finished I left work three hours late.
The meeting was due at 4.30 and unfortunately the consultant was running late and the meeting didn't start until 5.
The first thing the family said to the Doc was 'we do have better things to do then wait around for you'
To which the consultant replied 'these other people are spending their spare time after work discussing your mother which they didn't have to do' That shut the silly old cow up ha ha.

Got to agree with all the good and bad points discussed on here.
I myself have come across some really rude, arrogant staff who sometimes think they are beyond reproach however, in saying that I have also come across rude shop workers or rude bankers etc. Why oh why must NHS staff always have to be polite and take whatever force is thrown at them. And let us not forget that there are some very demanding relatives out there who if there learnt a little bit of manners could ask exactley the same thing more politley.
I do have to say though that some of the complaints are completly justified especially within older peoples care having witness poor practice regularly. Sometimes all this boils down to is communication and if people are given the correct advice/information then I feel alot could be avoided

Having been in hospital at the end of last year, I have to say that everyone who I came into contact with who worked at Southend Hospital were brilliant, from going in, to being discharged. They made you feel like you were number one and the treatment was brilliant. I've got no bad word to say about the NHS system.

Completely agree with this

Back