• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Alliker

My problem is with Paul Clarke, the worlds most negative person who talks like he has managed Forest Green and got them to win the World Cup...
Always know what’s best and it’s always so obvious and simple.

****es me off.
there are not many posts on here where my opinion is exactly the opposite of another poster, but this is one of them. He isn’t negative, he speaks from a position of knowledge, and yes often a “potential” fix is simple - it’s football not brain surgery. Commentators are like us, they can have their suggestions, but if the manager doesn’t do the same thing then no one will ever know if the commentators idea was a good one or not.
Personally I feel like I have a much better idea of what’s good no on when Paul Clark is doing the commentary

there are not many posts on here where my opinion is exactly the opposite of another poster, but this is one of them. He isn’t negative, he speaks from a position of knowledge, and yes often a “potential” fix is simple - it’s football not brain surgery. Commentators are like us, they can have their suggestions, but if the manager doesn’t do the same thing then no one will ever know if the commentators idea was a good one or not.
Personally I feel like I have a much better idea of what’s good no on when Paul Clark is doing the commentary

Fair enough mate, can’t say I agree nor do we have to agree. Thankfully I get to watch and not just listen.

Some people like heavy metal and I think it’s ****. Opinions. Opinions.

At least we haven't got the one up the A12 who asks McGreal the same question worded in about half a dozen ways every week and is so far up the manager's arse as to have disappeared!
To be fair you can still see his toenails!

Why can’t the commentator be a fan?...Works well when we’re winning and gives you a better picture when loosing

It’s not national radio so who else is listening to Bury v Southend on Tuesday night.

Alliker and Clarke were outstanding a few years ago at Wigan when we were shocking first half.... The only time I have ever covered my eyes whilst listening to a radio.

I often use the below to illustrate how good radio commentary can be. We are talking the great Peter Jones and Maurice Eddleston, here. I think the key with this is they describe exactly where the ball is, so you can visualise the match so much easier. There's also no need in those days for co-commentators with their views on every move :-

The guy on Saturday was terrible. I felt he got the wrong tone when Coker went down injured, which is unusual for the BBC Essex guys. If that’s the difference between being a fan and not, I’ll take a fan please.

I enjoyed Adrian Clarke as occasional co-commentator.

The way he described his half time pasty at Plymouth made me want to jump in the motor and drive to Devon to get one.

I've banged on about the Beeb's commentators very often, and they do sometimes get carried away. But when I take a moment out and just think about how I would manage without any sort of radio coverage of an away game if I didn't attend, well then, I think I'll stick with what I've got, warts and all. Mind you, telling me what's happening at Braintree half way through the game still gets on my tits big time!

I must admit I'm another who isn't a Paul Clarke fan. Much prefer Glen Pennyfather. I actually really liked Chris Phillips when he did it years ago.

I must admit I'm another who isn't a Paul Clarke fan. Much prefer Glen Pennyfather. I actually really liked Chris Phillips when he did it years ago.
I still think Chris Phillips might co-commentate every now and then. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens on an ad-hoc basis when they literally can’t get anyone else and they know Chris will be at the game anyway. I do wonder who writes his article when he’s commentating though!

Considering he’s a bit of a novice at it, I agree that he’s pretty good. Chris is also quite clearly a big Blues fan but unlike Alliker he doesn’t wear blue tinted glasses all the time and tries to give commentary without too much bias affecting what he says.

Any chance of expanding upon your reasons?
Yeah no problems. I find that Paul Clarke presents his opinion as if it were fact quite often and seems like a bit of a dinosaur tactically, with a lot of "in my day". Pennyfather has managed in recent years and seems to be more in touch with the modern game. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Clarke, I just don't get the love in. There are some on here who have called for him to be taken on for a coaching role at the club and I don't see it at all.

I find that Paul Clarks "no E " knowledge of the game is second to none , I like Glen but for me Paul edges it .

I find that Paul Clarks "no E " knowledge of the game is second to none , I like Glen but for me Paul edges it .

Yeah no problems. I find that Paul Clarke presents his opinion as if it were fact quite often and seems like a bit of a dinosaur tactically, with a lot of "in my day". Pennyfather has managed in recent years and seems to be more in touch with the modern game. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Clarke, I just don't get the love in. There are some on here who have called for him to be taken on for a coaching role at the club and I don't see it at all.

I agree Clark seems to present his opinion as fact, it would be good if they mixed it up again - surely there has to be another ex SUFC pro who could take up the reigns and have a modern look on the game . Clark has been out of the game for 30 years! I think Adrian Clarke is focused on the Arsenal side of his work now.

Funny that he hasn't got a job in the game other than a little bit of radio commentary on a regional station if his knowledge is second to none.

He's not terrible but don't find him particularly insightful

I enjoyed Adrian Clarke as occasional co-commentator.

The way he described his half time pasty at Plymouth made me want to jump in the motor and drive to Devon to get one.

My wife actually found the sound of his voice enjoyable on a match day. This helped me being able to dedicate a couple of hours each game to follow my beloved Blues.

Since the idiot Smith has started covering our games she has had to put up with my frustration connected to his ridiculous commentary. Even she finds his glaring errors funny.

As for the co-commentators, I like Clark for his understanding of the game. However Pennyfather tends to agree with too many of Smiths comments.

Back