• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nick Alliker

Funny that he hasn't got a job in the game other than a little bit of radio commentary on a regional station if his knowledge is second to none.

He's not terrible but don't find him particularly insightful
Perhaps Paul has reasons why he does not want to work in full time football again , but you cannot take 40 odd years of football away from him .

Perhaps Paul has reasons why he does not want to work in full time football again , but you cannot take 40 odd years of football away from him .

I'm not disputing that his experience will give him insight and knowledge, I'm disputing that it is "second to none" and how much it applies to today's game. I can't see that he has worked in football for the last 20 years apart from a couple of months at col u helping the caretaker manager

I'm not disputing that his experience will give him insight and knowledge, I'm disputing that it is "second to none" and how much it applies to today's game. I can't see that he has worked in football for the last 20 years apart from a couple of months at col u helping the caretaker manager

Today's game?

Have the rules changed and I missed it?

Personally I think BBC Essex should feel blessed at having both Paul Clark and Glen Pennyfather. The station doesn't deserve them. Their general low quality sports coverage was summed up for me this morning, when on the sports news at 7.30 absolutely diddley squat was mentioned about our stunning FA Youth Cup win last night, instead we heard the ramblings of the Fulham manager explaining away their defeat to Manchester City last night. I suppose we have to keep all of those thousands of Essex based Fulham fans happy........

Personally I think BBC Essex should feel blessed at having both Paul Clark and Glen Pennyfather. The station doesn't deserve them. Their general low quality sports coverage was summed up for me this morning, when on the sports news at 7.30 absolutely diddley squat was mentioned about our stunning FA Youth Cup win last night, instead we heard the ramblings of the Fulham manager explaining away their defeat to Manchester City last night. I suppose we have to keep all of those thousands of Essex based Fulham fans happy........
Exactly,what was there to explain anyway they were expected to lose?!!!!

Anyone know if Nick Allicker will ever return? He seems to have been away forever?!

I hate the new guy, drones on about sausage rolls, ice creams and seagulls.... while the bloody match is on..leaving you clueless to where the Ball is on the pitch.. can’t wait for Alliker to return

Much as I like Nick Alliker, Neil Kelly does actually ask probing questions (as you would expect from a College Lecturer) as opposed to "so Steve/Phil/Chris.......how did you see that game?.."

At least we haven't got the one up the A12 who asks McGreal the same question worded in about half a dozen ways every week and is so far up the manager's arse as to have disappeared!

I think the opposite, the Scum are on great form and that's reflected in the way he handles post match interviews, however when they were towards the bottom last season he always asked the biting questions that the fans wanted answered, sometimes to the irritation of the manager.

And that's what I think Nick Alliker lacks at our own such times, it strikes me that he is passionate about the Blues, that's reflected in his commentary, but when we lose or are poor, he shows too much respect and doesn't ask the tough questions of which he knows will upset/annoy the manager.

That aside, I think the BBC Essex Sport coverage is excellent, I'm a season ticket holder at Roots Hall, live in Chelmsford, and am always keen to hear that our Essex sides are doing well, Chelmsford City, Billericay Town, Braintree, Canvey, Concord, the lot, even Col U this season because I want that derby back again.

Totally agree with Austin the Shrimper.

Can't stand this Smith bloke, the best by far are Nick Alliker and Paul Clarke. Glenn Speller a good back up!

I think the opposite, the Scum are on great form and that's reflected in the way he handles post match interviews, however when they were towards the bottom last season he always asked the biting questions that the fans wanted answered, sometimes to the irritation of the manager.

And that's what I think Nick Alliker lacks at our own such times, it strikes me that he is passionate about the Blues, that's reflected in his commentary, but when we lose or are poor, he shows too much respect and doesn't ask the tough questions of which he knows will upset/annoy the manager.

That aside, I think the BBC Essex Sport coverage is excellent, I'm a season ticket holder at Roots Hall, live in Chelmsford, and am always keen to hear that our Essex sides are doing well, Chelmsford City, Billericay Town, Braintree, Canvey, Concord, the lot, even Col U this season because I want that derby back again.
I'm not sure I'd want Nick asking tough questions. Maybe if Paul Clarke conducted the interview it could work because he has been in the manager's position but Nick has no playing or managerial experience, so is he really in a position to be asking hard questions?

if we loose they could just record one interview, then just replay it after each loosing match, as it is always the same excuses. :Smile:

To be honest, I see Glenn Pennyfather as a potential future manager. He gave out the medals at my u/13 awards ceremony in 1985 and I've never forgotten his generosity or charisma.

Today's commentator David Brent (Brett?) was much better than Smith. Prefer him to Alliker actually. Identified all the players correctly (except confusing a couple of theirs) and didn't bang on about the snacks.

Back