• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Nicky Bailey: To Boo or Not To Boo ??

Reaction to Bailey: What will YOU do ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
What will you do Saturday ??

Option One: Clap one of the better midfielders ever to grace the shirt

Option Two: Ignore him, he is history and so we move on and save our energy for supporting the current lads

Option Three: Boo maniacally for 90 minutes*.... the way he conducted his last week at RH, saying he was injured etc .. yet playing for Charlton that weekend was utterly disgusting and an insult to our club........ oh and then throw dog poo at him in the car park after
* + Stoppage time obviously

Personally i'll go with 2, the first year Lee Hughes was here i booed non stop, result .. lose 1-0 (Hughes) .. next year i kept a lid on it for ages but in the end couldn't manage it and with us leading 1-0 launched into one of my famous foul-mouthed tirades .. result 1-2 (Hughes winner)

Bailey is a fantastic player who will be expecting a rough ride on Saturday and thus will be so up for ramming any taunts back with interest, and we all know exactly what he is capable of, if he's booed he'll score, if he is abused non-stop i fear he'll score a hat trick :'(

Sing up for Southend, and ignore the opposition is my shout :soapbox:

Last edited:
I won't be there but just ignoring him and supporting the Blues seems the best option. Booing him lets him know he got under our skin...why give him the satisfaction?

The guy came in and was outstanding in a blues shirt. Scored goals and worked tirelessly for 90 minutes each week. He had aspirations to play a higher level of football. A footballer's career is short and therefore someone coming from non-league and wanting to better themselves and earn more money is not to be booed. The guy had no connections with the club prior to joining us and he did what most of us would have done. Good luck to him. Just hope he has a shocker on Saturday. He is now their captain I believe.

So tempting to boo him. The whole 'dream move' thing typifies what many of us hate about modern football. I just know he'll score if we give him grief

I dont really see why the malice to be honest as he wanted to progress, although it was disappointing he left so soon and should have given us another season.

Im no fan but he is no Luke Guttridge...

Forgot to mention how he engineered his move and feigned to be injured and thus unavailable for the Cheltenham cup tie

all those undecided will boo when they hear the others booing. classic.

Matt Harrold was booed at Wycombe this year so I'd expect Bailey to get a lot worse...and he deserves it too!!!

I wouldn't agree with that comment. Despite the fact he played well for us there are a number of players I would have ahead of him.

One of the better, he most certainly was. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be quite a few ahead of him though. Better is relative.

I was impressed by him and with his attitude when playing for us and even in his last game when he was clearly leaving he put in a good performance.

Not over impressed with he way he left us and would imagine a few Barnet fans would feel similar frustration with the way he handled hi move to Roots Hall although I do fully understand his ambition.

So although tempted to boo him I will not be doing so as feel it could come back to bite us as it did the Arsenal fans who goaded Ashley yesterday.

But if we are 0-3 up in the closing minutes a chant of 'Bailey Bailey what's the score' would be so good !!

I dont really see why the malice to be honest as he wanted to progress, although it was disappointing he left so soon and should have given us another season.

Im no fan but he is no Luke Guttridge...

Jam Man - if you need remininding of why there is so much malice the below should help

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52474&highlight=nicky+bailey&page=2

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50822&highlight=nicky+bailey

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42116&highlight=nicky+bailey

now back to the question, tough one. Ideally we will abuse him all match. With the scores at 1-1 in the 93rd minute Macca will unlease one of 'out of the ground shots'- (you know what I mean) ' which will miraceously be almost on target, but will bounce of the post into Baileys face/arse and into the net. -2-1 own goal !!!!!!!!!!

OR Macca will get him sent off Rickets stylee.

TBH I would prefer to save my voice for supporting the team , but TBH once the absue starts I willl probably join in------ and then watch him score

realistically, i'll be hurling a lot of abuse. this will inevitably bite me in the inevitable arse when he inevitably scores from an inevitable bloody 25 yards, but such is the life of the Southend fan..

realistically, i'll be hurling a lot of abuse. this will inevitably bite me in the inevitable arse when he inevitably scores from an inevitable bloody 25 yards, but such is the life of the Southend fan..

An inevitable post really!

The guy came in and was outstanding in a blues shirt. Scored goals and worked tirelessly for 90 minutes each week. He had aspirations to play a higher level of football. A footballer's career is short and therefore someone coming from non-league and wanting to better themselves and earn more money is not to be booed. The guy had no connections with the club prior to joining us and he did what most of us would have done. Good luck to him. Just hope he has a shocker on Saturday. He is now their captain I believe.

I'm staggered just how quickly people forget what went on with Bailey.

We signed him from Barnet in the summer and he had a fantastic season with us. RM wanted to tie him up on a longer deal, understandably after the way he performed. He wanted treble the amount he was currently on, which was a decent wage as it was.

We rightly refused, and Charlton came sniffing around. Bailey played the first game of the season, and played well. Before that he came out and said he didn't think it was fair that he was asked to play in that game. He then faked an injury/illness to miss the League Cup game, and went on to join Charlton.

Yes, its understandable he wanted to move to a higher level, but Mark Gower and Freddy Eastwood did it the right way. No complaining about playing, no remarks in the press about it, they got on and played football and earned their moves to the Championship. Both of them will get hero's welcomes when they return to Roots Hall, if they ever do, but Bailey deserves stick of the highest kind.

Complete and utter ****!

Hate him with a passion,

Great player and if you want to leave then I understand but refusing to play etc sorry your scum and I will personally give you as much abuse as I can.

I'm staggered just how quickly people forget what went on with Bailey.

We signed him from Barnet in the summer and he had a fantastic season with us. RM wanted to tie him up on a longer deal, understandably after the way he performed. He wanted treble the amount he was currently on, which was a decent wage as it was.

We rightly refused, and Charlton came sniffing around. Bailey played the first game of the season, and played well. Before that he came out and said he didn't think it was fair that he was asked to play in that game. He then faked an injury/illness to miss the League Cup game, and went on to join Charlton.

Yes, its understandable he wanted to move to a higher level, but Mark Gower and Freddy Eastwood did it the right way. No complaining about playing, no remarks in the press about it, they got on and played football and earned their moves to the Championship. Both of them will get hero's welcomes when they return to Roots Hall, if they ever do, but Bailey deserves stick of the highest kind.

Complete and utter ****!

What I said was not complete and utter ****....

That is true. I was not talking about how he went about it. football fans will feel aggrieved but not so much that they write hate mail to nicky bailey and go and boo him every other week!

Sure, he went about things in the wrong way. West Ham fan's hate Defoe for demanding a transfer request the day after West Ham were relegated.

Footballer's are not blessed with education, they are greedy and once they get a bigger a nd better contract they will be happy. It is a fickle world and one in which we as fans have to come to terms with. We don't have to like it but we have to cope with it and get over it.

Nicky Bailey is one of many players to go about their business in the wrong way but it has worked out alright for him!

Good luck to the chap!!

Back