• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nigel Martyn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 09 2006,16:42)]Sad to hear of his retirement due to injury. He was, IMO, a very good goalkeeper, who was arguably better at his peak than David Seaman.

I think, if he had retained his fitness this season, he could have found his way on to the 'plane to Germany.
Not sure about him being better than Seaman but agree with you that he could well have been number 2 or 3 at this World Cup.

Sad to see him having to retire due to an injury.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 09 2006,16:42)]Sad to hear of his retirement due to injury. He was, IMO, a very good goalkeeper, who was arguably better at his peak than David Seaman.
Ah, but he wasn't good enough to stop a 30 yard David Crown thunderbolt freekick at the North Bank end circa 1988
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'd say he was a better keeper than Seaman. If he'd left Palace and signed for a bigger team sooner he would have played a lot more games for England.

Agree with canvershrimper that Seaman was probably better, but he was still a great 'keeper and I'm sad to hear of his retirement.

Good luck to him in the future.

I always remember when Palace were showing interest in him whilst he was still at Brizzle, he suddenly became a 'continental' keeper in that instead of making an easy catch he would do acrobatic one handed saves resulting in corners. It seemed the higher League attention went to his head!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ June 10 2006,12:24)]I always remember when Palace were showing interest in him whilst he was still at Brizzle, he suddenly became a 'continental' keeper in that instead of making an easy catch he would do acrobatic one handed saves resulting in corners. It seemed the higher League attention went to his head!
My hero

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ June 10 2006,12:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ June 10 2006,12:24)]I always remember when Palace were showing interest in him whilst he was still at Brizzle, he suddenly became a 'continental' keeper in that instead of making an easy catch he would do acrobatic one handed saves resulting in corners. It seemed the higher League attention went to his head!
My hero
I thought I was your hero!!

laugh.gif

Back