• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger done deal

I have mixed feelings about this now that it's happened. But when Ranger starts his first game I'll put a bet on him to score and Southend to win.

I have mixed feelings about this now that it's happened. But when Ranger starts his first game I'll put a bet on him to score and Southend to win.
I remember his first appearances with us. You could almost taste the levels of West Stand expectation as to when he would score his first goal.

I guess it depend on what level of offence you've committed.
Lying about speeding is bad, after all, a car can be a lethal weapon as I'm sure Timlin was told prior to heading for pokey.
But violence to partners? Robbing an old lady? What kind of character does that?
And how much of that character lurks in the background?
I agree there's no point in avoiding the fact he's a Southend player again, and as such I hope he does well.
But I won't be asking for his autograph.

We are where we are: rock bottom!
We have little hope of staying up.
Though what’s left of the season, offers a remote opportunity to turn it around.
Nile is also at rock bottom, with little hope of fulfilling his undoubted potential, close to the end of his career: yet the opportunity is there.
We’ve also got a few professionals, that seem desperate to extend their careers: we are all their last chance.
No one else is offering them an opportunity.
Throw in the rest of the playing group, many out of contracts at the seasons end.
This may just provide the environment, that IF they can gel, we may thrive.
While I doubt we will, it keeps me interested and gives me some hope.
If there’s ever an opportunity for a last chance, this is it.

Last edited:
Im willing to give the man a chance and hopefully this time he takes it and fullfills some of the potential he showed as a lad.Do yourself and SUFC proud lad and stay out of trouble,show us supporters that you truly want to play football and be a valued member of the squad .

Not too sure if this interview has been shared on here already It's an interview by Theo Robinson and Frank Nouble

It took the time to watch it this morning and found it as I expected him telling two footballing friends how he'd screwed up his life. When he initially joined the club I was excited despite his off the field issues. His on the field performances retained the excitement. Despite his off the field activities I wouldn't agree with anyone that he these put the club in bad light. Yes he put the club in the headlines for bad reasons. But did it have a detrimental impact on the club? No. He had a lot of respect for Phil Brown and the manager that he was. I share that respect also. PB did more good than harm to our club. He has no respect for Sol Campell based on how he treated him when wanting to return to Southend whilst Campbell was there. I also share that lack of respect for Campbell. I don't think Sol would have known how to deal with Nile Ranger.

I liked MM's honesty this week. Ron Martin is obviously a big fan of Nile. However, I don't believe MM would have no say in Niles role at the club. He's been given a contract which reflects the past. I am again excited that he could be offered a contract in the future that would be based on his on the field performances in the past. Only time will tell.

UTB

Am interesting insight into the “other side” of Mr Campbell there. Not seen that interview before, thanks for posting :)

Yes, I saw that interview when they did it - him and Theo were very close when he was with us before. He knows the mistakes he makes but never seemed to be able to help himself, let's hope that, with the squad and management we have now, and becoming a dad, he can feel that he actually wants to try and take this opportunity with open arms.

I guess it depend on what level of offence you've committed.
Lying about speeding is bad, after all, a car can be a lethal weapon as I'm sure Timlin was told prior to heading for pokey.
But violence to partners? Robbing an old lady? What kind of character does that?
And how much of that character lurks in the background?
I agree there's no point in avoiding the fact he's a Southend player again, and as such I hope he does well.
But I won't be asking for his autograph.
But u wont be worrying about any of that stuff if he scores and gets us 3 points on a Tuesday Saturday right?

My personal opinion on Nile is that he's here now, so let's hope he makes the most of his opportunity. It does seem like the redemption plot line you'd find in a movie but as mentioned by previous posters, this is real life and there is no fairytale script.

If* Nile is successful, I think we will become more successful too. Just look at how good he was in his last spell with us once he had a run of games. I'm not talking just about scoring goals, I'm talking ability on the ball and physicality that brought other talented players into the game.

He's a new father, in the last chance saloon not only in the footballing world, but it's also his last chance to grow up and make something of himself.

Would you rather the guy turned it around (finally) and became someone that people would have time for, or would you want him to forever be a waster? I'd prefer a driven, productive Nile who focuses more on his sports and family than frauding old women.

He does have more lives than a cat which seems to cause some resentment (understandably) but let's hope he does right by those who have backed him unconditionally (as mentioned in the interview with Theo particularly his mum) and delivers for the mighty Shrimpers on the pitch:LoyalSupporter:

My personal opinion on Nile is that he's here now, so let's hope he makes the most of his opportunity. It does seem like the redemption plot line you'd find in a movie but as mentioned by previous posters, this is real life and there is no fairytale script.

If* Nile is successful, I think we will become more successful too. Just look at how good he was in his last spell with us once he had a run of games. I'm not talking just about scoring goals, I'm talking ability on the ball and physicality that brought other talented players into the game.

He's a new father, in the last chance saloon not only in the footballing world, but it's also his last chance to grow up and make something of himself.

Would you rather the guy turned it around (finally) and became someone that people would have time for, or would you want him to forever be a waster? I'd prefer a driven, productive Nile who focuses more on his sports and family than frauding old women.

He does have more lives than a cat which seems to cause some resentment (understandably) but let's hope he does right by those who have backed him unconditionally (as mentioned in the interview with Theo particularly his mum) and delivers for the mighty Shrimpers on the pitch:LoyalSupporter:
Would I rather Nile turn it around?
It's not what I want, is it? It's what he wants. While here: 'seems' to cause resentment?
I think you can remove 'seems' friend.

Amazing we signed Ricky and Nile just as NL threatened their audacity to continue their season. So, we were waiting till that decision. Brinkmanship.

Would I rather Nile turn it around?
It's not what I want, is it? It's what he wants. While here: 'seems' to cause resentment?
I think you can remove 'seems' friend.
My overall message is he's signed and he's a Southend player again. If he knuckles down and keeps his nose clean, he deserves the backing of the fans.

Don't get me wrong, he has to earn the respect of a lot of people, including my respect and yours as well.

But if he wants to change his ways and does so, then I think people should recognise that as a huge leap in the right direction. I want him to be successful because if that's the case, everyone benefits.

He's signed but hearing a problem with registration - something connected to where he was before southend. Can't think it will be sorted in the next few hours so I doubt we will see him today! I
Think we might see a tinkered attack minded line up today tho .

He's signed but hearing a problem with registration - something connected to where he was before southend. Can't think it will be sorted in the next few hours so I doubt we will see him today! I
Think we might see a tinkered attack minded line up today tho .

I have no idea what one of those is but it sounds jolly good. Roll on 3:00 p.m.

Back