• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger done deal

We had an upturn in form. Confidence started to grow among supporters and then, suddenly, boof! Bit like the last time Ranger was here. I'm sure it's just coincidence:Whistling:

There was a poster first time who had more morals than most of us. He said it would be a curse on the club and he was right.

Maybe just maybe Ranger has turned over a new leaf, maybe he will never change, who knows for sure? Only he knows if he has changed.
What I do know is that we are broke, having big problems attracting a quality striker to try and keep us up, and the enigma that is Nile Ranger wants another chance.
We are running out of time, it may go against some of our principles, it may make us a laughingstock, but seriously what else do you suggest?
Yesterday showed we are up sh*t creek and if Ranger has a spare paddle.....why not?

When Nile was last here we were one of the better L1 sides, and we saw a brief glimpse of the player he could have been (Sheff U away, Wimbledon away). Then things capitulated for him and then us.

I wonder who has slipped further? Our club or Nile. What I mean by that is whether he is has significantly less to offer as a player than our standing as a club. If he’s anywhere near that player we saw in those glimpses then he’ll do a job and could potentially make a difference. If he’s fallen even further in terms of ability then we are in big trouble.

Also, if he for example plays on Saturday whether it will boost the ifollow pass sales? I would be very interested to see what has become of our enigmatic step child.

Ranger did very little of note on the field in his last stint here. Would rather have signed Theo Robinson whose goalscoring record is better than Rangers and his pace and running off the ball are useful. He is unlikely to want to come back to this club though.

He will if Nile is here

Ranger is no angel I agree but compared with others who have been given multiple chances he is far from the worst. I wonder if there is an underlying race problem his, conscious or unconscious. People go on about him being a fake gangster etc, why because of the way he talks and acts. I'm pretty sure if he was white the term gangster would never have been used to describe him. And as for commitjng fraud yeah he messed up, go caught and went to prison. He admits he cocked up if you listen to any interview with him. But other players have done a lot worse and seem to receive less scrutiny. Lee Hughes killed a man while coked out of his mind and got another chance. Ched Evans was convicted of rape, got another chance. Tony Adams and Jan molby both caught driving absolutely smashed out of their heads, potential drink drive killers. Another chance. Lee Hendre the same and he openly jokes about it on podcasts. Another chance. And let's not forget the biggest scum bags of them all, John Terry, caught hurling racist abuse and ferdinand . Just denies it and it goes away. And the worst of the lot, Joey Barton. Beats the he'll out of a teenage kid, goes to prison. Puts a cigar out in Tandys eye ruins his career. Multiple chances. Would people make as much fuss if he was our next manager as the do about nile rangers bank fraud? I seriously doubt it. I wonder if there is more to the hate towards nile ranger than some people are comfortable to admit. Because compared to what a lot have footballers have done niles bank fraud is hardly the worst thing but he seems to be vilified way beyond his crime

As I have said before lots a people do bad things and people can be very keen to throw away the key and say this or that. And whatever they say now I can tell you from experience they nearly always want members of their own family treated otherwise when the time comes.

I don’t know Nile Ranger. I assume MM, Ron and others at the club know him better than I do. It’s their decision and if he is our player again then I will root for him turning it around on AND off the pitch.

It is not entirely irrelevant to point out that it is now almost 6 years since that last offence.

Ranger is no angel I agree but compared with others who have been given multiple chances he is far from the worst. I wonder if there is an underlying race problem his, conscious or unconscious. People go on about him being a fake gangster etc, why because of the way he talks and acts. I'm pretty sure if he was white the term gangster would never have been used to describe him. And as for commitjng fraud yeah he messed up, go caught and went to prison. He admits he ****ed up if you listen to any interview with him. But other players have done a lot worse and seem to receive less scrutiny. Lee Hughes killed a man while coked out of his mind and got another chance. Ched Evans was convicted of rape, got another chance. Tony Adams and Jan molby both caught driving absolutely smashed out of their heads, potential drink drive killers. Another chance. Lee Hendre the same and he openly jokes about it on podcasts. Another chance. And let's not forget the biggest scum bags of them all, John Terry, caught hurling racist abuse and ferdinand . Just denies it and it goes away. And the worst of the lot, Joey Barton. Beats the he'll out of a teenage kid, goes to prison. Puts a cigar out in Tandys eye ruins his career. Multiple chances. Would people make as much fuss if he was our next manager as the do about nile rangers bank fraud? I seriously doubt it. I wonder if there is more to the hate towards nile ranger than some people are comfortable to admit. Because compared to what a lot have footballers have done niles bank fraud is hardly the worst thing but he seems to be vilified way beyond his crime
What a load of misleading rubbish - non of the examples you quote have abused this club which is what Ranger has done - and he will do it again and again if given the chance.

Too me this is simple.

Nile Ranger has had many chances and we are aware of the results.
MM. Wants to know if he is a changed man.
Yes everyone deserves another chance, but Nile has had so many.
We are in Shi** Street, we despratly need a new striker.
No decent Striker wants to join us, due to our many previous problems.
So really we are at the moment a good match.!!

Nile was better than other Striker's in League 1. I know other's may not agree.
He is only 29, and a much much better striker than anyone else who will join us.
Thanks Ron !!!.
The transfer window is about to close.
Who else can we get. No One.
Its a massive gamble, but if we dont take it, (presuming no one else will come to S.U.F.C.)
We cant do anything else, but take this gamble.
In normal times no, but S.U.F.C. stand a much better chance of staying in the Football League, with Nile than without Nile. Simple.

What a load of misleading rubbish - non of the examples you quote have abused this club which is what Ranger has done - and he will do it again and again if given the chance.
Strictly nor did Rangers- the allowing of his bank account to be used to process/launder the funds transferred ( I believe that was his role) happened 6 years ago and before he ever joined us.

I hate truly the game of equivalence in terms of crimes. But people who drive blind drunk and kill people it seems to me are committing a more serious crime ( and those that do it and get away with it aren’t any better- they are just lucky).

So I do think the poster makes valid points to the debate whether we agree with or not.

MM; Ron, "I've Identified a couple of strikers, who are willing to join us, they want £1500-2500 a week. Is it Ok to open negotiations".

Ron; "I'm still mates with Nile Ranger, he hasn't played professional football for three years, but he is willing to play for nothing, so he is a much better option".

MM; "Is that the bloke I can't talk to at training, you know the one with the gun?"

Ron; "yes that's him, he played for us once, had a really good game at Sheffield United once.
We used to play teams like that once, but they had too nice stadia, so we are much better where we are"

MM: " Oh good, we'll sign him up then, get a couple of young wingers to supply him, should work a treat. Will he be available on Saturday?"

Ron: "Probably not, 3pm is a little too early for him (he doesn't get up very early) He will be OK for Tuesday night games though. You might need to remind him they kick off at 7pm now though.

Ranger is no angel I agree but compared with others who have been given multiple chances he is far from the worst. I wonder if there is an underlying race problem his, conscious or unconscious. People go on about him being a fake gangster etc, why because of the way he talks and acts. I'm pretty sure if he was white the term gangster would never have been used to describe him. And as for commitjng fraud yeah he messed up, go caught and went to prison. He admits he ****ed up if you listen to any interview with him. But other players have done a lot worse and seem to receive less scrutiny. Lee Hughes killed a man while coked out of his mind and got another chance. Ched Evans was convicted of rape, got another chance. Tony Adams and Jan molby both caught driving absolutely smashed out of their heads, potential drink drive killers. Another chance. Lee Hendre the same and he openly jokes about it on podcasts. Another chance. And let's not forget the biggest scum bags of them all, John Terry, caught hurling racist abuse and ferdinand . Just denies it and it goes away. And the worst of the lot, Joey Barton. Beats the he'll out of a teenage kid, goes to prison. Puts a cigar out in Tandys eye ruins his career. Multiple chances. Would people make as much fuss if he was our next manager as the do about nile rangers bank fraud? I seriously doubt it. I wonder if there is more to the hate towards nile ranger than some people are comfortable to admit. Because compared to what a lot have footballers have done niles bank fraud is hardly the worst thing but he seems to be vilified way beyond his crime
Disagree.
You're right others have committed bad crimes.
But most of the examples weren't deliberate. I doubt, for example, Hughes set out to kill anyone with his car.
As for Evans, I wouldn't want him at Southend either.
'Far from the worst'? Only Evans is equal bearing in mind intent, as opposed to consequences.
'Less scrutiny'? Yes, he has because most of the others made big, big headlines.
In some ways, Ranger has been let off the hook.
His character over 10-plus years has always let him down, and if you're implying a racist slant, that's never ever been mentioned here.

I can see the temptation to bring Ranger in and I get the principle that he has done his time and deserves another chance, but personally I would rather that we were relegated to the National League than stay in L2 on the strength of his goals. It's just an ethical issue for me, and I ain't perfect by any means, which of us is? But I believe that there have to be limits to what behaviour (repeated again and again) can be tolerated. The National League Premier is a competitive and compelling division and it won't be the end of the world if we are relegated but at least we will be able to keep some modicum of decency. Of course this is my personal opinion and I respect the differing opinions of others provided their motivation is to genuinely give Ranger another chance rather than simply "I don't care if Lucifer plays for us provided we stay up". That way madness lies.

Disagree.
You're right others have committed bad crimes.
But most of the examples weren't deliberate. I doubt, for example, Hughes set out to kill anyone with his car.
As for Evans, I wouldn't want him at Southend either.
'Far from the worst'? Only Evans is equal bearing in mind intent, as opposed to consequences.
'Less scrutiny'? Yes, he has because most of the others made big, big headlines.
In some ways, Ranger has been let off the hook.
His character over 10-plus years has always let him down, and if you're implying a racist slant, that's never ever been mentioned here.
I’m afraid if you drive dangerously and/or whilst drunk you are making the conscious decision to do something that puts the lives of others at risk. You might minimise these these crimes based on intent (something I am not sure all would accept for the above reason).

At the same time I think, just perhaps, The same level of forgiveness and understanding is not being applied for 6 years ago allowing a bank account to be used to launder the proceeds of an online fraud?

Of course since the beginning.of time the first excuse we all learned as a child was “but I didn’t mean to do it”.

Seems to me like Brexit people are completely entrenched in their views - and that makes these threads interminable and with the arguments just going around in circles.

He is back. We need to judge him now on what he does on and off the pitch going forward. And for that he gets no free pass.

Back