• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

who would you prefer in your side?

• Nile Ranger

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • Ian Benjamin

Votes: 33 45.2%

• Total voters

cerbera45

Coach⭐
One for the slightly older fan this one but i was thinking back to the "Webb's Wonders" era, who would you prefer in your side?

Again very different players. Benjamin was brilliant with his back to goal and bringing other players into the game. Certainly Ranger is by far the stronger physically and far better in the air. Not really fair to compare those 2 in my opinion.

I think if Ranger were to play another hundred games for us, bringing him up to Benjamins games played, we would probably see Ranger as the better of the two. Its down to fitness, behaviour and commitment with Ranger. If he maintains all three to a high level he has the opportunity to realise a huge potential. Lets hope he does.

There's that goal to consider, of course, but Benji's level of play in the first season in Division 2 was on another level. Ranger has enormous potential to be a Southend great, but for me it's not even close right now.

At the end of the season when we look back at how we missed out on automatic promotion/play-offs (as applicable), people will look at the matches Ranger missed (and we've played without him this season for longer than we've played with him) and say that if he'd been playing it could have all been different.

Well, from being signed when we were in division 4 until the final game of our first (and best) ever season in division 2, Benji played every minute of every game for what was nearly three promotions in a row:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

So, on balance, I say IAN BENJAMIN.

But it's a close run thing what with the great man being in his 50s.

Back