• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger

Loving the discussion so far - almost all the posts are rational and offer many different valid viewpoints.

Can I ask if anyone has heard of a story by Mr Charles Dickins in which a chap called Ebenezer Scrooge changes his life one Christmas?

It is, of course, just a work of fiction.

Scrooge was a guy, senior in years, that feared his soul would be eternally damned. His track record was abysmal and we only have details of one day where he changed his ways. Who knows whether it would have lasted? Unless Ranger has met with three, time to poop in your pants characters, or eaten mouldy cheese, then I suspect he is likely to be more of a Bill Sykes than Oliver Twist. Even Dickens couldn't do anything good with that rascal.

Hearing it's a 3 week thing - to train on his own more or less and then see what develops!.

Reactions: GBJ
true, but I was just pointing out that just because someone has a past, it doesn't mean they can't change as a person

Indeed, but my point is that there are differing levels of criminality. People can turn their lives around, but can they from more serious offences? Ian Wright is not a good example because his offence isn't comparable. For clarity, I'm not saying Nile can't and won't turn his life around, I'm just saying your example isn't a good one.

As it happens I believe he can turn things around. I just don't necessarily want him to do so at our club anymore. Let someone else take the risk.

All that said, if he trains (by himself) and proves to MM that he's worthy of a chance (even though that seems remote at this stage) then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Trying to compare Ian Wright to Nile Ranger is not reasonable.

As far as I can tell Ian Wright made one small mistake, was given the chance to turn it around and the rest is history.

Nile did many terrible things was given another chance, then another, then another, then another and has shown no ability to shake himself out of this downward spiral. I'm sorry but once that's happened you don't deserve anything else.

Please no.
again, probably a bad example, but I thought the point I was trying to make was fairly clear. Maybe Duncan Ferguson would have been more apt?... I dunno, I was just stating that people who were previously unpleasant are not necessarily permanently unpleasant

Though some have indicated it will be ok if we are covered by termination clauses that are included in any arrangement with Ranger, the reality is we are only one bad run of results away from relegation. Any damage done due to 4 - 6 weeks of bad morale/results will be incredibly difficult to recover from, bearing in mind our current bad position in the league table despite the recent upturn in fortunes.

I find it hard to imagine Nile being ready to roll for an early start and 5 or 6 hour coach trip, each way, to somewhere like Barrow or Morecombe.
Or turning up, on time, with mental positivity, clean blood, on a wet, foggy and freezing February mornings' training.

I see more scenarios where the club loses out than gains.

How can the club lose out?

1. Read this https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...-club-learning-not-waste-a-second-weymouth-fc and see how MM structures training. How does that fit with having someone turn up late, someone ambling between sessions, someone messing about in the classroom and not taking it seriously?

Thanks for this link - bodes well for the weeks and months going forward if MM and his team can do this in a part-time capacity, the full-time sessions etc must be very good.

Give me the Nile Ranger who can produce magic like this any day of the week

It's the rest of the antics that I would worry about. You'd need someone like Macca very close to him to make sure he doesn't F*** up this time and ruin any harmony the squad may or may not have.
You say “magic” but he misses a gilt engaged opportunity in those highlights that if it were goodship would result in pages of “he’s useless “

Give me the Nile Ranger who can produce magic like this any day of the week

It's the rest of the antics that I would worry about. You'd need someone like Macca very close to him to make sure he doesn't F*** up this time and ruin any harmony the squad may or may not have.

i remember that day well, i was hiding in the home end right by the corner flag where ranger ran over and celebrated. I had been rumbled as a southend fan in the pre-match &, their stewards tried to eject me but i'd had a few pints and was able to sweet talk my way back in under the strict promise of no emotion if we scored, ranger was very good that day & they couldn't handle him, he showed the moments of class you'd expect from someone who's spent time as a premier league player but as we all know that was just a small moment in time!

So, putting the morals aside, which people seem very happy to do when there's a slight chance he might score one in four, people are willing him to have retained form on the pitch, to have had a complete 180 off of it and be able to sustain that. So far so baffling to me. Let's get Macca to look after him I hear when he would be far better served looking after any of half a dozen youngsters. Ron Martin believes in him! A man at least 50% of the people on here wouldn't trust to do their shopping even. But he was great against Wimbledon once! He's better than what we've got I hear, let's forget the fact that these players a learning a new system with a relatively new manager, hang on that new managers not about now, he's chatting with Ron about how to bury a little misdemeanour before it becomes public knowledge. We could sign one of many new players, but no, we can't wait one week and a player who's not been good enough for Spalding, a team I've never heard of before, was just misunderstood there and will definitely be better than all the hungry options out there who are currently playing and match fit too.
To bastardise an old proverb. If a dog bites you on the butt, it's the dogs fault, if it bites you a second time it's your own fault.
Yes, I am strongly against this as we can't wish this many things right and we've literally been in this exact scenario before and that's why we are in our current pickle. Read the room, a chairman is unable to say no to someone who's been convicted for being emotionally manipulatable and no one can show any evidence he has changed and, more tellingly, if there was even a hint of him being a worthwhile gamble, someone else would have done so.
We are all desperate, that desperation still needs to be rational though. This wouldn't be a redemption story, it would be a relegation one in my humble opinion.

Back