• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Elvis

First XI
Please can we stop doing loan deals, where we have to guarantee the player gets a start every time (Number 33), Corr would have made more of those chances the lad had, he works hard but from what I've seen he's not as good a finisher as our own player Big Bad Barry. I know we are skint but doing such a deal so the parent club pays his wages, means we have to suffer if the player doesn't cut it.

A Bit harsh but agree. Neither Thompson or Woodrow look ready at this level yet. Losing Bennett and not replacing a Cresswell type player is costing us. Upfront we just don't have the cutting edge. This league is tough and physical and the two loanees are not strong enough. Also we are paying a wage to Reid, why? Why did we sign him? Never going to score goals, not sure how he got 12 last season. Baring in mind we were losing last night I don't think he even made it to the pen area once.

Please can we stop doing loan deals, where we have to guarantee the player gets a start every time (Number 33), Corr would have made more of those chances the lad had, he works hard but from what I've seen he's not as good a finisher as our own player Big Bad Barry. I know we are skint but doing such a deal so the parent club pays his wages, means we have to suffer if the player doesn't cut it.
Totally agree. That game last night was not one for an inexperienced 18 yr old to start up front. That should have been a nailed on Corr job and with Hurst's excellent crosses I'm sure BBBC would have got on the end of one!

Give him a chance...why he's not scored... but we have to give him a chance because that's most probably in the deal... I recon it will be Corr and Number 33 next game, with Fred on the bench

Crap. BC is not the Messiah. Give the lad a bloody chance, he looks promising enough to me. Good strength for a youngster and not intimidated by 4th tier no nonsense defending

Agreed, thought he actually played pretty well, some good hold up play as well.

My point really is not to be harsh on him, it's we are stuck with him because of such a deal. I would prefer a big center back on that sort of loan, not a striker who can win us a game or not through goals

I don't think so. You've raised a good debating point which can continue to be discussed but the problems go deeper than is one youngster good enough? My point is it is a bit harsh after a couple of games to saddle our problems at that end of the pitch. I'm all for giving anyone, Timlin included, enough time to bed in, get match sharpness and then evaluate. BC added nothing when he came on last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawly Woodworm & Freddy both worked hard last night but we simply were not creative enough - there were am couple of headers that should have been better & a few shots feom outside the box but unitl we start creating more then it's hard to see anyone scoring at this rate.

Why why why do we love to pump that ball up to opposing defenders all of a sudden if we are going to do that at least play Corr who i think is our tallest player !! The new boy looks good but isn't strong enough on the ball

Crap. BC is not the Messiah. Give the lad a bloody chance, he looks promising enough to me. Good strength for a youngster and not intimidated by 4th tier no nonsense defending
Absolutely agree with this. Woodrow is not Corr, and is not the same type of player as Corr, therefore we shouldn't have been playing the ball to him as if he WAS Corr! That'll have been as unpleasant a performance as he's likely to have faced and he needs to come to terms with the realities of L2, especially on a rain drenched Friday evening! Wasn't he only signed for a month anyway? Very harsh thread title.

When Corr came on, he offered very little anyway, so I don't get why Woodrow is being pulled apart....or Thompson, for that matter. Time and time again, he was left exposed on his own as Hurst went walkabout - which I kind of understood as there was no link up between them. If White is out for next week, then these two need to get some understanding going. And I'm not going to blame Coker for the loss, the lad made one mistake, the conditions were ***** and he got too much on the header. If we'd put away either of the two good headers or one of the three crosses across the 6 yard box, it would have been a different story. What we need is a goal poacher, a Jermaine Defoe type.....that's very different to what we've got in Fred or Corr, and what we've had in Britt or Tomlin. When Cauley goes back, then that's what Mr Brown needs to look for.

Woodrow probably would be an answer if freddy was injured as he does look a half decent player. The two of them are too similar and since we have started them together we have no shape up front. He should never have been signed to play alongside freddy IMO.

OBL I agree. The difficult thing is why did PB not realise that 2 weeks ago? I know the players don't grow on trees etc, but he must be able to think about the shape and balance of the team before bringing people in.

Please can we stop doing loan deals, where we have to guarantee the player gets a start every time (Number 33)...

Did I miss something - what evidence do we have that he has to start? Phil Brown wasn't born yesterday and it seemed pretty clear to me from interview's given that the lad's here because Brown rates him highly. What's more worrying is how much the game changed when we conceded the goal and how unable we were to steal it back. That wasn't down to Woodrow!

Did I miss something - what evidence do we have that he has to start? Phil Brown wasn't born yesterday and it seemed pretty clear to me from interview's given that the lad's here because Brown rates him highly. What's more worrying is how much the game changed when we conceded the goal and how unable we were to steal it back. That wasn't down to Woodrow!

No, but he and Thompson seem to be easy scapegoats!

I don't know for sure that's what they do, but lets be honest here... would a prem club allow a player out on loan with wages paid to sit on the bench. It happened last year with other players we had here on loan, who didn't cut it... but they still played week in week out?

I don't know for sure that's what they do, but lets be honest here... would a prem club allow a player out on loan with wages paid to sit on the bench. It happened last year with other players we had here on loan, who didn't cut it... but they still played week in week out?

Yes, let's be honest here... would an extremely experienced League manager allow a player to come to his club with a guarantee that he'll play for the team no matter what effort or performance he puts in?

Would YOU agree to that?

Unlikely, so why assume that the experienced manager whose career lives and dies by the team's results would have done.

Back