• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
The club have stated they will NOT be appealing Clifford's red card and he will now serve a 4 game ban.

Errrrm why?

The club have stated they will NOT be appealing Clifford's red card and he will now serve a 4 game ban.

Errrrm why?

Errrmmmm because they would lose the appeal, and he would have an extra game lumped on the end of what he's already got!.

Errrrm why?

Because the club do not want to donate £375, or whatever it is these days, to the FA.

Errrrm why?

Because you get banned for an extra match if you've already been sent off this season.

May as well give up and make football a non contact sport then. Never a red card in my eyes.

We've got plenty of midfield options and he isn't a key player like Leonard. Might have been harsh, but doubt it would have ever been overturned.

I agree Smiffy, it's giving carte blanche to rubbish refs to carry on making wrong decisions. Should have appealed on principle. The card was given by the Mansfield bench, not the officials!

I really hope that Clifford settles down and pushes on.
He has talent and can be a big asset for us in the future.
Sadly I get a sneaky feeling it may Lee Sawyer all over again.
Hope I'm wrong.

Personally I thought it was a slightly harsh sending off that would not have got that punishment most weeks although having said that an appeal would more lightly make his ban longer than have it rescinded.. On a more positive not Laird might now get a bit more of a chance.

Next time someone breaks a players leg because their foot is studs up and shin-high, I'll bump this thread...

Straight red for me. I wonder who would have said otherwise had the tackle been on Clifford rather than by him.

Next time someone breaks a players leg because their foot is studs up and shin-high, I'll bump this thread...

"Studs up and shin-high" isn't a red card offence, what is though is using excessive force which is what causes injuries.

Straight red for me. I wonder who would have said otherwise had the tackle been on Clifford rather than by him.

Absolutely. Clifford didn't really catch him, but that's not the point. It's a potentially dangerous tackle where Clifford has gone to ground and his foot is far too high.

Appeals rarely are successful and as above posters said risk of extra game ban and costs money to appeal as well.Because its Cliffords second dismissal for violent conduct this season,both against Mansfield coincidentally i think like Mathieu Flamini he will serve a four game ban now.

Looked to me as if he hooked the ball away from their player who then tried to win it back ,then he saw the ref running over so decided to roll about a bit , then got up as soon as he noticed the red card . Rubbish decision , cant understand why we have not contested it so what if they give him another games ban ,he's hardly a starter anyway .

Just to clarify it's highly unlikely any unsuccessful appeal would warrant an extra game. 'Frivolous appeal' only comes into it when there were no grounds for an appeal; that's not the case here.

Contrary to the thoughts of TV-media, studs being off the ground doesn't equal a red card. It's pretty hard to make a challenge with your studs on the ground.

There's no excessive force and the tackle isn't dangerous. Surprised there's no appeal, but sense as we've so many options it wasn't worth the potentially wasted fee.

Straight Red every day of the week for me, went in over the ball studs straight into the shin, if it had been me i would have got up and kicked the s--t out of him, its tackles like that that end peaples playing days.

Clifford could be a decent player , but until he cuts these reckless challenges out of his game he's a liability. I warned months ago that hes a red card waiting to happen + now he's got 2 ..... who knows , if Laird or Payne had come on instead of Clifford maybe we would have beaten Mansfield ?

Back