• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No Desire, No Movement, No Skill!

glensufc

Youth Team
I know people don't like these sort of posts, but I'm fuming after getting back from one of the most depressing displays I have ever seen. I haven't read other posts so I'm sure there are other posts of similar nature.

The players simply had no desire to win today against a below average side. They looked like schoolboys playing men. They are supposed to be professional footballers and are paid thousands of pounds a week to play, yet they can't be asked to even try. What a joke!

The first problem is clear there simply isn't enough desire to win, the second problem is movement. There is no movement. Fit professional football players should not be standing still all the time. FFS this is basic schoolboy stuff. You have to move to create to space. Ipswich are not great but at least there players moved and tried! Perhaps that's why they scored three goals.

The defense conceded it's customary three goals, including one just after the break as per usual. Still asleep after half time were you lads?

The midfield was a non exsistant joke. Mayer simply can't run and was beaten way too easily for my liking. Worse still when he got beat he gave it up. When Ipswich broke away for their 3rd goal, the midfield should have been busting a gut to get back and help, they were trotting back.

Guttridge - couldn't run or pass in his best dream. Can he pleased be replaced with one of those plastic players that they use to practice free kicks. At least you can play a one two wall pass with them and the opposition would probably find it harder to get past. Run Luke, run. Learn to use the power of your leg muscles!

The only player who could at least be credited with trying was Simon Francis, at least he tried and had desire to win. Poor old Simon was a right back, then a right midfield and suddenly a centre foward after some bizzare changes by Tilson. Perhaps it was damage limitation not to get beat by 5 or perhaps Tilson just wanted to see how many players he could play out of position in one game! Despite all that Francis got a well deserved goal, the other players should take note, that if try and you run you might just score!

Paynter also tried when he came on to his credit. He had little impact but the at least the effort was there unlike many.

Anyway I've had enough now.If I performed as badly in my job then I would be sacked. Can somebody please give the players a massive kick up the backside. Personally I wouldn't pay them if they performed like that again. I've always found money a great motivator, but I'm sure others would disagree.

Here's hoping that I never have to pay £20 to see such a shambles again and let's pray for miracle, because that's what we need to stay up.

I only read the first few lines, but it wasn't that bad. Clarke looked good, francis played very well, Paynter came on and did everything you could of asked of him.

The comments made about the movement or lack of it were 100 per cent spot on...in my opinion this was the difference between us and a very mediocre Ipswich side who should have been looking for three points off.
So yes it was that bad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glensufc @ Oct. 21 2006,19:33)]I know people don't like these sort of post, but I'm fuming after getting back from one of the most depressing displays I have ever seen. I haven't read other posts so I'm sure there are other posts of similar nature.

The players simply had no desire to win today against a below average side. They looked like schoolboys playing men. They are supposed to be professional footballers and are paid thousands of pounds a week to play, yet they can't be asked to even try. What a joke!

The first problem is clear there simply isn't enough desire to win, the second problem is movement. There is no movement. Fit professional football players should not be standing still all the time. FFS this is basic schoolboy stuff. You have to move to create to space. Ipswich are not great but at least there players moved and tried! Perhaps that's why they scored three goals.

The defense conceded it's customary three goals, including one just after the break as per usual. Still asleep after half time were you lads?

The midfield was a non exsistant joke. Mayer simply can't run and was beaten way too easily for my liking. Worse still when he got beat he gave it up. When Ipswich broke away for their 3rd goal, the midfield should have been busting a gut to get back and help, they were trotting back.

Guttridge - couldn't run or pass in his best dream. Can he pleased be replaced with one of those plastic players that they use to practice free kicks. At least you can play a one two wall pass with them and the opposition would probably find it harder to get past. Run Luke, Run. Learn to use the power of your leg muscles!

The only player who could at least be credited with trying was Simon Francis, at least he tried and had desire to win. Poor old Simon was a right back, then a right midfield and suddenly a centre foward after some bizzare changes by Tilson. Perhaps it was damage limitation not to get beat by 5 or perhaps Tilson just wanted to see how many players he could play out of position in one game! Despite all that Francis got a well deserve goal, the other players should take note, that if try and you run you might just score!

Paynter also tried when he came on to his credit. He had little impact but the at least the effort was there unlike many.

Anyway I've had enough now.If I performed as badly in my job then I would be sacked. Can somebody please give the players a massive kick up the backside. Personally I wouldn't pay them if they performed like that again. I've always found money a great motivator, but I'm sure others would disagree.

Here's hoping that I never have to pay £20 to see such a shambles again and let's pray for miracle, because that's what we need to stay up.
Fine if you don't like it vote with your feet and don't come again.

Or alternatively as you know so much and how it can be solved write to Ron Martin and ask him to consider you for the role of manager. You will obviously be so much better than Tilson.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 21 2006,19:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glensufc @ Oct. 21 2006,19:33)]I know people don't like these sort of post, but I'm fuming after getting back from one of the most depressing displays I have ever seen. I haven't read other posts so I'm sure there are other posts of similar nature.

Guttridge - couldn't run or pass in his best dream. Can he pleased be replaced with one of those plastic players that they use to practice free kicks. At least you can play a one two wall pass with them and the opposition would probably find it harder to get past. Run Luke, Run. Learn to use the power of your leg muscles!

The only player who could at least be credited with trying was Simon Francis, at least he tried and had desire to win. Poor old Simon was a right back, then a right midfield and suddenly a centre foward after some bizzare changes by Tilson. Perhaps it was damage limitation not to get beat by 5 or perhaps Tilson just wanted to see how many players he could play out of position in one game! Despite all that Francis got a well deserve goal, the other players should take note, that if try and you run you might just score!

Or alternatively as you know so much and how it can be solved write to Ron Martin and ask him to consider you for the role of manager. You will obviously be so much better than Tilson.
I pay my money and I'm entitled to my opinion, or has free speach been taken away in this nanny state too!

I am not better than Tilson and where exactly did I say that??? Secondly I know the basics of football. I know that a team that plays with no desire and has no movement will not win football matches. The fact is I would be disappointed if a sunday league team played with such a lack of desire and passion, let alone paid professionals.

[b said:
[b said:

Pathetic response. If your gonna argue the toss...at least put up an arguement.

No desire, no movement, no skill … and no tactics today. A mediocre Ipswich side had us sussed. Tilly and Brush are having to adjust to a higher level as well as the players and are not above criticism. Yes they have more experience than I do at managing a football team (I have nil) but can someone tell me why we pull everyone back for corners so if we clear the ball it comes straight back or if we try and play our way out we stand a real chance of getting caught in possession in a very dangerous position. How many other teams have you seen do that this season? I can’t remember one.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Tilly and Brush to stay and see us through this terrible spell but they must take some of the flak as well as the players. We knew some players would adjust to a higher level and some wouldn’t. Let’s hope the management adjusts soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bertiebigbanana @ Oct. 21 2006,19:54)]
[b said:
[b said:

Pathetic response. If your gonna argue the toss...at least put up an arguement.
I have elsewhere on a number of threads and I am buggered if I am going to waste my breath repeating them again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Oct. 21 2006,19:37)]francis played very well
Thats when he was put on as a striker. He looked better than all our strikers bar eastwood on that display

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ Oct. 21 2006,20:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Oct. 21 2006,19:37)]francis played very well
Thats when he was put on as a striker. He looked better than all our strikers bar eastwood on that display
Agreed. Simon Francis did play well. He made runs and you could see he had the desire to try and win. If we had 10 Simon Francis's playing plus Flavs then we would have won easily today.

Canvey shrimper...im not getting on your case here but I really cant even see Tilly, saying today was a good days work.
I appreciate your commitment to the side and admire you, but frankly today was simply not good enough.
Does that mean we wont go and support them...no it doesnt.
Southend are my team and thats that, whatever division they put an inept display in whether it be champions league or the bucket and spade league, I have the right to point out flaws in the team i love as do others...will it help....probably not (hasnt the last 25 years), and yes i'll be back next week.

Francis and Paynter played together as a pair up front better than any other combination so far this season .... and that is really worrying!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (callan @ Oct. 21 2006,20:12)]Canvey shrimper...im not getting on your case here but I really cant even see Tilly, saying today was a good days work.
I appreciate your commitment to the side and admire you, but frankly today was simply not good enough.
Southend are my team and thats that, whatever division they put an inept display in whether it be champions league or the bucket and spade league, I have the right to point out flaws in the team i love as do others...will it help....probably not (hasnt the last 25 years), and yes i'll be back next week.
Thanks callan, Tilly said on BBC Essex that we deserved nothing from the game, which is exactly what we got.

I do not after 40 odd years view the performances of SUFC through rose coloured spectacles. I agree with you they are our team, where ever they are and playing. You also have every right to pint out what you see as flaws, as do all posters and members of this forum. I am as disappointed as you when we lose.

However I feel strongly that people should be more considered in what they say. To accuse players of not trying is to me inexcusable, I am sure that all the players give their utmost. If, they are not up to standard then that is hardly their fault, and although Tilson has bought the players to the club, it also is not entirely his. As I have stated elsewhere most members of this forum agreed that all the summer signings were good for us.

I always want the best for this club, and I hope we stay up, it sounds negative but a final finish of 21st keeps us in the division next season.

I think the plain truth is we have too many players who have now been found out as simply not good enough for this level: Clarke, Barrett, Hunt, Gutts, on todays performances were all out of their depth. For me Clarke looked totally lost in midfield and Hunt and Gutts just looked lost full stop. And with a threadbare squad and so many players playing out of position I am already fearing the worst. Freddy will be gone in January because we will need the money to buy 4 new players to try and keep us in this league. Sorry but I think its looking dire already.

Why should people be more considered in what they say. This is a fans forum and fans should say what they feel, just as if it was a chat in the pub, as long as they're not libellous or obscene. I desperately want Southend to survive in the Championship but we can still have our rant, can't we?

Im probably in a band of one here who actually thinks the players we have will be enough to survive...and all of them were off form today...im not blaming any of the new players...they after all were not responsible for conceding the goals after the break last season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 21 2006,20:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (callan @ Oct. 21 2006,20:12)]Canvey shrimper...im not getting on your case here but I really cant even see Tilly, saying today was a good days work.
Thanks callan, Tilly said on BBC Essex that we deserved nothing from the game, which is exactly what we got.

I do not after 40 odd years view the performances of SUFC through rose coloured spectacles. I agree with you they are our team, where ever they are and playing. You also have every right to pint out what you see as flaws, as do all posters and members of this forum. I am as disappointed as you when we lose.

However I feel strongly that people should be more considered in what they say. To accuse players of not trying is to me inexcusable, I am sure that all the players give their utmost. If, they are not up to standard then that is hardly their fault, and although Tilson has bought the players to the club, it also is not entirely his. As I have stated elsewhere most members of this forum agreed that all the summer signings were good for us.

I always want the best for this club, and I hope we stay up, it sounds negative but a final finish of 21st keeps us in the division next season.
I suspect even the players know that they didn't try or have enough desire to win the game today.

If the players put the effort in and we get beat then fair enough, I don't have a problem with that. What frustrates so many people as you can see from numerous threads on here is when the team and players don't put the effort in. The fact is that Ispwich would have been beaten today if we had played with any real desire. Sadly we didn't.

I fail to see how it can be inexcusable to accuse players of not trying if that's how you feel they performed. It's not like I am the only person saying it.  I'm happy to give credit for good performances, see my comments on Francis, so why not the other way round?

At the end of the day if we go down because we are not good enough then that's fair enough, naturally disappointing but fair enough. However, to go down without a fight is unacceptable. That's the difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (callan @ Oct. 21 2006,20:37)]Im probably in a band of one here who actually thinks the players we have will be enough to survive...and all of them were off form today...im not blaming any of the new players...they after all were not responsible for conceding the goals after the break last season.
I will join you, so a minority of 2 then.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoned Shrimper @ Oct. 21 2006,20:12)]Francis and Paynter played together as a pair up front better than any other combination so far this season .... and that is really worrying!
I'd like to have seen Flavs and Bart up front together.
biggrin.gif

Back