• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No longer feels like the club I support

We were once promised a very modern new West stand. It would be used by local business from Monday to Friday.

That was in 1974. Back then people wanted the chairman out. Older wiser people told me the Rubins never really cared for the club and once we got them out we would be up there with the big boys.

Interesting..I was there in 74 and dont remember that West Stand plan at all..?
Rubins were not liked , I do recall that tho.
Jobson was probably worse and was awfull at PR. but in league position terms our most sucessful owner by some margin.
Martin is another level of ineptness altogether and has this club on life support.
Twenty five years ago I was willing to buy into it and give him a chance, he had me fooled and just shows once again sports clubs should never get into bed with property firms.

Im glad my late Father is no longer here to witness this disgrace.

Don’t remember that.

Any proof?

QPR has an article about our new stand in the match programme for the FAC 3rd round replay January 75.

Perhaps someone could post it on here if they have that programme.

QPR has an article about our new stand in the match programme for the FAC 3rd round replay January 75.

There’s a copy of the programme on EBay now if anyone wants to follow this up for the princely sum of £2:

65DA72B5-CC40-49EC-8139-8DFD9206D05C.jpeg

The excerpt from Tony Pullein’s column says:

The planned new stand will include a restaurant, conference hall and office block. ‘Anything which we can hire out to commercial organisations and earn us money!’ smiled Mr Rubin.

Brilliantly remembered. I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

I guess Bill’s untimely death put an end to that plan....and, for the record, Bill was a superb chairman who ploughed in large sums of money to keep the club going.

RIP

I’ve supported this club through the very good times and I’ve been there through the very bad. I was there against Manchester United, but also there when we were staring the football league trap door last time.

But this season has to be a complete disconnect between the club and its fans. Of course the pandemic has hugely impacted this, but I just don’t recognise the club anymore.

We have a manager who is clearly out of his depth as nice a person as he seems.

We have a squad of players who are clearly out of the depth.

I feel the fan engagement between the club and the fans is at an all time low. Again pandemic related

It is getting exceedingly difficult to care anymore. I will always support this club in name, but I have fallen out of love with the club has the entity it currently is.

The club need to act now, as you won’t fill a shiney new stadium against Wealdstone!

The club needs to fix the hole in the ship now, the immediate future, rather than the hopes for the long term.

How have we found ourselves now overtaken by the likes of

Forest Green, Fleetwood, Burton, Morecambe, Newport, Salford, Harrogate and even Barrow.

Something needs to change and fast, before other supporters feel the same way as me.
I'm just devastated. It's been bad enough with the isolation of this year.

I don't wear my Southend shirts anymore. When I have attended work, I no longer wear my Southend Utd pin on my lanyard. I don't want to associate with the club that was once my pride and joy.

I just have no words anymore for it. I've had to detach myself and stop caring, it's self preservation at this point with all else that is going on in life right now.

The excerpt from Tony Pullein’s column says:

The planned new stand will include a restaurant, conference hall and office block. ‘Anything which we can hire out to commercial organisations and earn us money!’ smiled Mr Rubin.

Brilliantly remembered. I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

I guess Bill’s untimely death put an end to that plan....and, for the record, Bill was a superb chairman who ploughed in large sums of money to keep the club going.

RIP

The QPR home game was only my second game at RH, so as you can imagine it had quite an impression on a 10 year old boy. QPR were a top side back then and thats when the FA cup meant something to us all and top teams took it seriously. So to come back and get a draw was a brilliant effort.

Thats why I bought the away programme and remember the West stand discussion.

Never mind my football club, Football itself no longer feels like my game.....All of our game. The beautiful game that conquered the world, ruined by greed and money.

Now would be a great time to end all the sins that come with it but its football, so fans find their easy targets and stick their head in the sand.

Last edited:
My son has disowned me for allowing him being born in Southend.

I honestly don't know if we will ever go back to watch them.

I wonder how many of the 'buy tickets on the day' crowd will ever turn up again not just to Roots Hall but to many grounds around the country.

Whilst some posters on here will happily blame the fans, I personally believe that they are the last group to blame in the soap opera that has now replaced the Team that we ALL enjoyed watching - win or lose.

My son has disowned me for allowing him being born in Southend.

I honestly don't know if we will ever go back to watch them.

I wonder how many of the 'buy tickets on the day' crowd will ever turn up again not just to Roots Hall but to many grounds around the country.

Whilst some posters on here will happily blame the fans, I personally believe that they are the last group to blame in the soap opera that has now replaced the Team that we ALL enjoyed watching - win or lose.
The attendances will drop big time! if we drop to national league and ron still the the owner, can see lot of fans not bothering watching the team that includes myself. This club only going 1 way with this clown in charge.

The QPR home game was only my second game at RH, so as you can imagine it had quite a 10 year old boy. QPR were a top side back then and thats when the FA cup meant something to us all and top teams took it seriously. So to come back and get a draw was a brilliant effort.

Never mind my football club, Football itself no longer feels like my game.....All of our game. The beautiful game that conquered the world, ruined by greed and money.

Now would be a great time to end all the sins that come with it but its football, so fans find their easy targets and stick their head in the sand.

Not a bad game for your second match!

The official attendance was 18,100 but it was at least 18,101 as I walked in through the open exits during the second half as I arrived after playing in an earlier KO for the Old Boys.

That QPR team was seriously good. finishing in the top half of the first division.

Just look at their team:

Phil Parkes, Dave Clement (RIP) Ian Gillard, Don Masson, Frank McLintock, David Webb (!), John Beck (maybe not him), Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles and Don Givens all played in both games with Dave Thomas coming in for Mick Leach for the replay in front of 21,484.

Wow!

That was back in the days when the FA Cup mattered and there were seriously good domestic players in all of the squads in the top division.........and no-one was playing tippy tappy crap in and just outside their own penalty area - or, if they did, they would be lucky to play in the next game.

I went on the train and tube with my dad to the replay. The last away game we went to together just the two of us.

For all the youngsters on this site, it's matches and experiences like these that you can only get from your football team. They keep us hooked and make us chicken fodder for the iFollows of this world (see other thread!).

Thanks for reminding me Riggers.

Not a bad game for your second match!

The official attendance was 18,100 but it was at least 18,101 as I walked in through the open exits during the second half as I arrived after playing in an earlier KO for the Old Boys.

That QPR team was seriously good. finishing in the top half of the first division.

Just look at their team:

Phil Parkes, Dave Clement (RIP) Ian Gillard, Don Masson, Frank McLintock, David Webb (!), John Beck (maybe not him), Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles and Don Givens all played in both games with Dave Thomas coming in for Mick Leach for the replay in front of 21,484.

Wow!

That was back in the days when the FA Cup mattered and there were seriously good domestic players in all of the squads in the top division.........and no-one was playing tippy tappy crap in and just outside their own penalty area - or, if they did, they would be lucky to play in the next game.

I went on the train and tube with my dad to the replay. The last away game we went to together just the two of us.

For all the youngsters on this site, it's matches and experiences like these that you can only get from your football team. They keep us hooked and make us chicken fodder for the iFollows of this world (see other thread!).

Thanks for reminding me Riggers.
The home tie,Ray,remains the only ever game to this day that my wife(married 1975) has ever seen at Roots Hall.She had already seen her only ever away game ,at Brighton where we were living.

The home tie,Ray,remains the only ever game to this day that my wife(married 1975) has ever seen at Roots Hall.She had already seen her only ever away game ,at Brighton where we were living.

Wow!

I guess if she didn't like that game there was never going to be any hope for another one.

My wife has only ever seen five Southend United games. This goes back to the seventies. Bournemouth (A) Oldham (H) plus the three LDV finals.
We lost all five games and never scored a single goal in any game!

The QPR home game was only my second game at RH, so as you can imagine it had quite a 10 year old boy. QPR were a top side back then and thats when the FA cup meant something to us all and top teams took it seriously. So to come back and get a draw was a brilliant effort.

Still my favourite game to this day.

My wife has only ever seen five Southend United games. This goes back to the seventies. Bournemouth (A) Oldham (H) plus the three LDV finals.
We lost all five games and never scored a single goal in any game!

Are you sure she isn't secretly watching on ifollow?

• Haha
Reactions: fbm
Still my favourite game to this day.

Still the biggest home crowd on a Saturday for me.

My personal RH favourite is Watford in the FAC because the winners had Liverpool at home.

I also put the play-off game v Stevenage up their as unlike some, I knew we would win at Wembley.

Back