• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No signings - no - money = no hope

MARKET HARBORO

Youth Team
Watching game @ chelmsford thought we looked poor definatly need striker who gets in behind defenders - numerous times defenders looked up and had nothing - worried bout this season

Know what you mean, these pre-season friendlies always set the mark for the real thing. Witham Town always scares the bejesus out of me as it reminds me of the average league 1 team we tend to face. I remember playing Maldon Town a few years ago, Chelsea in disguise I swear.

Get a grip.

To try and put a realistic perspective on things, like many I've been nervous at the lack of activity on the transfer front. However I think most of us at times fall into the trap of aligning new signings with potential success. In reality it guarantees nothing & is often done to appease fans rather than because it improves teams. I've actually got a growing respect for T,B & Ron for not crumbling under fan-pressure & making panic signings, but instead being patient & quietly going after the ones they really want, i.e. Sawyer. No club will get all their targets but better we get 2 or 3 of the right ones (which I'm sure we will) than half a dozen overpriced wannabees or hasbeens.

Also, look at our squad. Its actually not a bad one at this level. I'd say we're only a decent CB & a natural wide man away from having a squad that could challenge. I think 8 or 9 of our first team would get into most top-half L1 teams. yes it depends on player form & injuries but all clubs have those issues.

Personally I can see more positives than negatives..

To try and put a realistic perspective on things, like many I've been nervous at the lack of activity on the transfer front. However I think most of us at times fall into the trap of aligning new signings with potential success. In reality it guarantees nothing & is often done to appease fans rather than because it improves teams. I've actually got a growing respect for T,B & Ron for not crumbling under fan-pressure & making panic signings, but instead being patient & quietly going after the ones they really want, i.e. Sawyer. No club will get all their targets but better we get 2 or 3 of the right ones (which I'm sure we will) than half a dozen overpriced wannabees or hasbeens.

Also, look at our squad. Its actually not a bad one at this level. I'd say we're only a decent CB & a natural wide man away from having a squad that could challenge. I think 8 or 9 of our first team would get into most top-half L1 teams. yes it depends on player form & injuries but all clubs have those issues.

Personally I can see more positives than negatives..

Respect this post, good points - but the bold bit is not true!

I'd say very few - if any - would realistically get in a top L1 (Leeds, Southampton, Charlton etc) side.

Maybe Sawyer (isnt even ours) and at a push, Grant. Rest are very average for one reason or another (i.e. Franno is good on his day, but his days are very far apart), but play with a good spirit at SUFC.

I've actually got a growing respect for T,B & Ron for not crumbling under fan-pressure & making panic signings, but instead being patient & quietly going after the ones they really want, i.e. Sawyer. No club will get all their targets but better we get 2 or 3 of the right ones (which I'm sure we will) than half a dozen overpriced wannabees or hasbeens.

Brushy actually said in a Bluesworld interview at the very start of preseason that Sawyer was not a priority and we may not go after him at all. It was also well documented that Chelsea approached us, rather than the other way around. This transfer-as a good a player as Sawyer is- smacks of opportunism/ populism rather than serious planning. To me it appears that the players we really wanted- i.e. a succession of central defenders- have all turned us down (Chorley, Saah), or we couldn't afford the fee to even begin discussions (Raynes)*. Thus, I'm finding it hard to find positives relating to our current transfer (non)activity.

The reality is that rather than signing a proper replacement for Clarke (I've long given up on replacing Mulgrew or Gower) we are reduced to trialling cheap overseas players who have often played no more than a handful of games for any professional team.

* And these are the ones we know about.

Last edited:
Brushy actually said in a Bluesworld interview at the very start of preseason that Sawyer was not a priority and we may not go after him at all. It was also well documented that Chelsea approached us, rather than the other way around. This transfer-as a good a player as Sawyer is- smacks of opportunism/ populism rather than serious planning. To me it appears that the players we really wanted- i.e. a succession of central defenders- have all turned us down (Chorley, Saah), or we couldn't afford the fee to even begin discussions (Raynes)*. Thus, I'm finding it hard to find positives relating to our current transfer (non)activity.

The reality is that rather than signing a proper replacement for Clarke (I've long given up on replacing Mulgrew or Gower) we are reduced to trialling cheap overseas players who have often played no more than a handful of games for any professional team.

* And these are the ones we know about.

Great post.

Reviewing our current squad you have to ask yourself fro whom would any club come in and make a bid for or consider parting with money for, possibly Grant aside.

Compare this when the squad had Eastwood, JCR, Bailey, Flahavan and Gower.

Hmmm, I actually came into this thread to voice my concern regarding the possible cashflow problem at the club and to side with MH's eloquent post but since he's resorted to name calling I'm out!

I'd say very few - if any - would realistically get in a top L1 (Leeds, Southampton, Charlton etc) side.

But that's not what he said. Top HALF team in L1, not Top team.

Most of our team are as good as their equivalents in other top half teams in this division. We just don't have the strength in depth at the moment (or, indeed, a complete team for that matter....!)

Great post.

Reviewing our current squad you have to ask yourself fro whom would any club come in and make a bid for or consider parting with money for, possibly Grant aside.

Compare this when the squad had Eastwood, JCR, Bailey, Flahavan and Gower.

Don't dispute we desperately need to sign at least 2 defenders but its worth remembering that Eastwood, JCR, Flahavan, Gower and Clarke were all part of a team that proved to be well out of its depth in the Championship.

Don't dispute we desperately need to sign at least 2 defenders but its worth remembering that Eastwood, JCR, Flahavan, Gower and Clarke were all part of a team that proved to be well out of its depth in the Championship.

You can argue that some of them players certainly weren't out of their depth, like Gower and Eastwood for us. JCR did well enough as well for us.

The fact that them 3 still play in the Championship proves this.

As for the squad, I do believe a few more of the team would get into other League One sides from the top half.

Back