• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jamesmut2000

Director
From the OS.

Southend United is pleased to confirm that Matchday Admission prices for the remainder of the season will not be affected by today's rise in VAT.

VAT is levied on the cost of admission to football matches and like many other goods, products and services, the standard rate for these has been increased from 17.5% to 20% as of today.

After careful consideration the Football Club has decided to absorb the increase and maintain the Club's current pricing structure in this regard.

Our supporters have given us great support and the Club hopes this in some way helps you continue to so in these demanding financial times.

Your support is appreciated and it is hoped that this gesture will be well received.

Last edited:
OS says that the club will absorb the cost, can it afford to that what with our financial position? Still, nice gesture from the club and will hopefully get more people in.

The club doesnt pay the VAT man anyway so the increase does not affect them!

To be honest a £0.40 or £0.50p rise in ticket prices is neither here nor there. They may as well of applied the extra VAT. It is hardly going to put anyone off going.

Whilst I appreciate it is a good gesture. I feel the club should of just applied the extra 2.5% and not put themselves at further risk from the taxman. I'm sure most/all of us would not begrudge paying the cost of a pack of crisps, if it means the club's finances don't suffer further.

The club cannot win either way and it gives us all something else to moan about anyway. :winking:

Last edited:
To be honest a £0.40 or £0.50p rise in ticket prices is neither here nor there. They may as well of applied the extra VAT. It is hardly going to put anyone off going.

Whilst I appreciate it is a good gesture. I feel the club should of just applied the extra 2.5% and not put themselves at further risk from the taxman. I'm sure most/all of us would not begrudge paying the cost of a pack of crisps, if it means the club's finances don't suffer further.

The club cannot win either way and it gives us all something else to moan about anyway. :winking:

I fully agree with you. The club is under enormous constraints and frankly needs every penny it can get.

So lets assume 3000 people buy a ticket at an average of 40p each that's £1200 quid down the swanny.

Oh well, what do we know - we're just supporters and have no idea about the running of a football club (I guess).

I fully agree with you. The club is under enormous constraints and frankly needs every penny it can get.

So lets assume 3000 people buy a ticket at an average of 40p each that's £1200 quid down the swanny.

Oh well, what do we know - we're just supporters and have no idea about the running of a football club (I guess).

I doubt we will get many matches where we will sell 3,000 tickets for the rest of this season. Unless you meant in total for the rest of the season?

Also half the tickets sold would be child or concession tickets so much less VAT due on those.

Tickets are always sold at a round value - £16.40 would have been stupid really. I'm sure next season it will again be reset to a round value.

It's a good gesture from the club when some other clubs have absorbed the increase and some have passed it on. It would be nice to have some positive reaction to it.

It's a good gesture from the club when some other clubs have absorbed the increase and some have passed it on. It would be nice to have some positive reaction to it.

Positive??? On here??? You've got to be kidding me!!

Back