• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If he plays well and gets some goals he'll give Brown a headache, at the very least. I'd quite like to see Hunt and Barnett together at some point.

We're only playing one up front at the moment because we let in 11 goals in 3 games. I think once we get sorted out again PB may become a bit more positive, especially at home.

We're only playing one up front at the moment because we let in 11 goals in 3 games. I think once we get sorted out again PB may become a bit more positive, especially at home.

I've not see us recently but I don't think Payne rather than 'a genuine striker' makes us much more defensive. 352/532/3511/5311 is all much of a muchness and comes down to how much freedom/responsibility the wingbacks and #10 have.

I'd be very surprised if we play out the season with this formation. It's done well in two games, if it stops doing well it will change, Phil has shown he's not afraid to try something new and our adaptability has been one of our biggest strengths this season. I'm sure we'll see 2 up front again this season and I reckon Hunt will have his fair share of pitch time

We have played with two upfront in the last 2 games. Barnett has taken a bit of pressure off of Payne and Jack has looked a better player for it. He now stays higher up the pitch where he is far more dangerous, as his goal on Saturday proved

We have played with two upfront in the last 2 games. Barnett has taken a bit of pressure off of Payne and Jack has looked a better player for it. He now stays higher up the pitch where he is far more dangerous, as his goal on Saturday proved

Fair enough, I have only seen highlights and read reports, thought Jack was in the hole.

I've not see us recently but I don't think Payne rather than 'a genuine striker' makes us much more defensive. 352/532/3511/5311 is all much of a muchness and comes down to how much freedom/responsibility the wingbacks and #10 have.

But we're playing 5 at the back. When that stops I expect Payne (or someone else) to carry on in midfield, and for Hunt or Mooney to play alongside Barnett.

I'm sensing a little bit of nervous tension in this thread. I want Hunt fit and raring to go for Southend United in as many games as PB wants to play him. He has started a few but injury does follow him around a bit. So maybe Phil decides to use him as an impact sub, will Hunt's pride like that?....I'm not sure. No doubt the next few days will see what unfolds if there are legs in this story.

But we're playing 5 at the back. When that stops I expect Payne (or someone else) to carry on in midfield, and for Hunt or Mooney to play alongside Barnett.

Having played a lot of Football manager, 532 and 352 are very similar. :winking:

Like I said originally, it depends on the role you're giving the wingbacks. If they play like John White it's 532, if it's like Dani Alves, then it's 352. Seeing as Hendrie set up two goals I'd suggest they're being given license to bomb on. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with Hunt. My view is that swapping Hunt for Payne wouldn't really make us any more or less defensive.

Fair enough, I have only seen highlights and read reports, thought Jack was in the hole.

At Peterborough Jack was picked over Hunt, so if needed he could drop back and help defend. Barnett won all of his first ten headers, so we ended up putting them under pressure with Jack winning the ball deep in their half. He even had a chance to win the match in a very similar position from where he scored on Saturday, only he put it wide of the right hand post.

PB was obviously impressed with this combination and stuck with it this week. Of course it proved to be a wise choice. Hunt played well at Swindon and will of course get his chance at Shrewsbury.

It did cross my mind on Saturday that if this is the way PB is going to set up the team going forward where on earth Hunt would fit in? In my mind Barnett is simply (and effectively) playing the role that Pigott was unable/unwilling to fulfil earlier this season (lone striker). One up top allows us to play Payne 'in the hole' and an 'enforcer' type midfielder in front of the defence - something that seems impossible when we go with two traditional centre forwards.

But what we were missing on Saturday was a pacey CF who could replace a tiring Barnett and stretch their back four in the last 20 minutes, keep the opposition's defence honest and give our beleaguered defenders a (long) 'out ball'. Neither Hunt or Mooney can cover grass quick enough to do that. Perhaps that is where Loza fits in?

It was also interesting to see Hunt walk off quickly down the tunnel with barely any acknowledgement to the fans and just a cursory shake of the hand with PB and GC. I wondered whether he was beginning to ask himself the same question as me at the top of this message .....or perhaps all was not well behind the scenes with him either.

It's all about money for me. He's clearly a quality player, but we aren't getting much game time out of him for one reason or another. If he's genuinely on a big whack, I'd have no issue moving him on - if we're paying top money out, it has to be for someone who's central to the team every week.

If hunt plays well at Shrewsbury he may well be given a chance after that and keep on starting, we've seen with PB before that if players play well then they tend to keep the shirt no matter what happened a couple of weeks before. He very much picks a team on the most recent performances it seems. So all is not lost for hunt, far from it, his just got to grab the shirt and keep it. If he doesn't, then rightfully so Barnett will have it back.

Amazing- CP gets a barmy call from a fellow journo suggesting something patently absurd, shares it and before we know it we are speculating that it might actually have substance.

in the 352 we play two up front- Jack was playing up front in a 2 for the most part. We won't be doing anything now we have got Barnett in to then go back to square one by getting rid of another top striker.

BTW I just got a phone call from a mate who lives in northern Spain- he's heard were are keen on Messi on loan to the end of the season- apparently we will pay some of his wages..

Amazing- CP gets a barmy call from a fellow journo suggesting something patently absurd, shares it and before we know it we are speculating that it might actually have substance.

in the 352 we play two up front- Jack was playing up front in a 2 for the most part. We won't be doing anything now we have got Barnett in to then go back to square one by getting rid of another top striker.

BTW I just got a phone call from a mate who lives in northern Spain- he's heard were are keen on Messi on loan to the end of the season- apparently we will pay some of his wages..

let me guess... Rons going to give him a hand with the tax man as payment?

Whether the Dundee story had any substance I don't know - but looking at Hunt's body language and the speed with which he disappeared down the tunnel - whilst everybody else stayed on the pitch to applaud the fans - I for one won't be surprised if he has gone by the weekend. It is disappointing but perhaps not entirely surprising - and it does seem PB (supported by RM) decided they had to go in an altogether different direction after the Swindon game.

May have some substance..

CZly0BlWAAAqzuX.jpg:small

He hasn't come here to sit on the bench has he? Stranger things have happened but I can't believe after the fanfare of the Bury game it's all gone sour so soon. Results are what count but PB would be daft getting rid of a quality player like Hunt just to play his one up front style. Hunt and Payne - that's what I wanted to see.

Back