• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hunt and Payne, Barnett and Payne or Barnett and Hunt. Any of those would work. Both Barnett and Payne will have injuries, off days and maybe suspensions. Hunt could play in the hole as well, so will get plenty of football between now and the end of the season. Probably more than the first half!!

Hunt, Barnett up front and Payne; all three on the pitch please.

Payne has rarely impressed me when he's had 2 strikers in front of him, even in the Bury game the vast majority of his good play came once Hunt had been replaced by Hurst and he was allowed to stay a bit more upfield.

I'm sensing a little bit of nervous tension in this thread. I want Hunt fit and raring to go for Southend United in as many games as PB wants to play him. He has started a few but injury does follow him around a bit. So maybe Phil decides to use him as an impact sub, will Hunt's pride like that?....I'm not sure. No doubt the next few days will see what unfolds if there are legs in this story.

He doesn't suffer from ego and always... ALWAYS... will do what is best for the team.

Just dont see this happening. PB fought long and hard to get Hunt to Southend. When fit and playing he brings so much to the team either starting or from the bench. I agree from what others have said that his reaction at full time Saturday was a bit odd, i noticed immediately that he went straight off and didn't stay out on the pitch with the rest, but other than that he hasnt shown signs that he wants to leave. He is always very positive about the team on social media. I just dont see why PB would let a player of his calibre leave the club on loan etc

He will only be on loan if he is fit, and if he is fit wouldnt it be better off to have him here?

Agreed. All of his points don't make sense. If his wages are high and his always injured and doesn't score enough goals as previously mentioned why would Dundee United want him? After all it's them who are declaring they want him definitely not us wanting him out!

Having played a lot of Football manager, 532 and 352 are very similar. :winking:

Like I said originally, it depends on the role you're giving the wingbacks. If they play like John White it's 532, if it's like Dani Alves, then it's 352. Seeing as Hendrie set up two goals I'd suggest they're being given license to bomb on. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with Hunt. My view is that swapping Hunt for Payne wouldn't really make us any more or less defensive.

No, it wouldn't. But that isn't what I said. I said swapping one of the three centre backs for Hunt would make us more attacking. We're only playing with three centre backs because of the 11 goals in 3 games. I believe that once PB is happy that we're more solid defensively then he'll revert four at the back.

No, it wouldn't. But that isn't what I said. I said swapping one of the three centre backs for Hunt would make us more attacking. We're only playing with three centre backs because of the 11 goals in 3 games. I believe that once PB is happy that we're more solid defensively then he'll revert four at the back.
Why would he ? If we can shut out a free scoring Posh and batter Coventry the system appears to work at both ends. For me the key has been 1/ Payne fits the system perfectly so we are getting the best out of him 2/ The two wide players have been immense 3/ AB can control Bolger & Thompson and get forward more himself without worrying about being caught too high up the pitch. No need to change anything.

Why would he ? If we can shut out a free scoring Posh and batter Coventry the system appears to work at both ends. For me the key has been 1/ Payne fits the system perfectly so we are getting the best out of him 2/ The two wide players have been immense 3/ AB can control Bolger & Thompson and get forward more himself without worrying about being caught too high up the pitch. No need to change anything.

Because he has in the past.

At present a fit Noel Hunt is an ESSENTIAL part of the squad, he might not start too often BUT he ought to figure in most games as he is the clear worthwhile replacement or sub for Ty or Jack.

At present a fit Noel Hunt is an ESSENTIAL part of the squad, he might not start too often BUT he ought to figure in most games as he is the clear worthwhile replacement or sub for Ty or Jack.

And that's why I think this may have some legs. Did he come in with the promise of being the first name on the team sheet (when fit?).

personally I would be amazed if this happens

It effectively gives us no effective plan B (how many people see us bringing on Mooney/Weston (when fit) when 1-0 behind as an 'effective' plan B?

What happens when Payne/Barnet get injured/loose form . When Piggot first joined we thought he was the new Messiah and we know how that turned out Worral/Hurst two more examples of players that have been unstoppable for us but now appear to be on their way out.

People seem to be hoping/assuming that Barnet is the new Messiah and is going to be great in every game going forward. That to me is asking a bit too much and putting all our eggs in one basket

Where has this come from? Why would Noel leave? Why would PB let him go? I cant see how this would happen when Phil fought long and hard to make Hunt a Southend player.

I will be amazed if this does happen.

PB would only let him go if he has someone else to bring in.

Well, we did get one in, in Barnett - and he seems first choice at the moment. I'd imagine Brown may be thinking of signing Loza as an impact player. With Mooney in the wings too and Payne playing well behind the front man, cant see where Hunt would get games at the moment.

Still would be a surprising move.

Back