• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
CP just tweeted that Eastleigh are rumoured to be interested in signing him.

If that is the case, well, blimey... that's a fall from grace isn't it? From Championship to Conference league in less than a year.

I know he's had his injury woes and all, but I think he is way better than conference standard.

He will get kicked all over the place in the conference if that's what he wants:omg:

CP just tweeted that Eastleigh are rumoured to be interested in signing him.

If that is the case, well, blimey... that's a fall from grace isn't it? From Championship to Conference league in less than a year.

I know he's had his injury woes and all, but I think he is way better than conference standard.

I guess it's all down to cash - we chose not to extend the deal he was on and have offered him one on less money. Eastleigh have loads of cash, they had James Constable up front last season who turned down an extension of his contract with Oxford to join them. They also signed Jack Midson from Wimbledon, so they're obviously splashing the cash.

I guess that Hunt will decide he's proving nothing by playing in League One, having already played at a higher level, so at this stage of his career he'll go to the highest bidder. Can't blame him for doing so and also don't blame the club for being a bit more prudent with the cash given the return they got from him last season.

Eastleigh pay more than we do sadly

I can't see getting booted up in the air by conference defenders appealing to an injury prone forward though

Hunt seems to be getting a fair bit of flak from Shrimpers fans at the minute, but I really rate the guy. When he was fit he stood out as our best player by some distance (Peterborough and Bury at home spring to mind). I suppose it was disappointing we didn't get more games out of him.

That's a bit of a wake up call for me. I wasn't aware Eastleigh were so flush with cash.

Doesn't say much for us though does it, if we cant compete (wages wise) as a mid table division one team against a conference outift.

Maybe we can compete wages wise, but we don't want to? We could probably match the offer but think money could be spent elsewhere?

That's a bit of a wake up call for me. I wasn't aware Eastleigh were so flush with cash.

Doesn't say much for us though does it, if we cant compete (wages wise) as a mid table division one team against a conference outift.

Our former fullback Dan Harding left Nottingham Forest to join Eastleigh. They could match his wages and spared his time up on other things (family/other businesses etc).

I think it's more a case of the contract offered. We are offering a pay as you play contract, other clubs are offering a contract whether he's fit to play or not. He not stupid, he knows he's injury prone and may go a month or 2 with no pay from us.

I think it's more a case of the contract offered. We are offering a pay as you play contract, other clubs are offering a contract whether he's fit to play or not. He not stupid, he knows he's injury prone and may go a month or 2 with no pay from us.

Thought that was par for the course when becoming a Southend player...

kaymac said:
They are backed by an insurance outfit who chuck money at the club like confetti with the aim to get them into
the FL

But when has this ever been successful in the long run? As soon as the money men pull the plug (which they always do) it all goes tits up. cf Rushden and Diamonds, Gretna, Colne Dynamos etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no wonder he's on his bike... I didn't know that until now.

I am not sure its quite play you get paid, don't play you don't.
I thought it was reduced terms with bonuses according to appearances or similar.
Pay as you play no-one is going to accept.

I am not sure its quite play you get paid, don't play you don't.
I thought it was reduced terms with bonuses according to appearances or similar.
Pay as you play no-one is going to accept.

exactly this, he was offered a significantly reduced basic wage with the rest made up of bonuses, ie appearance fee, goal bonus, assist bonus etc.

Back